Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Advice Needed re: Spring Humping - Should I Separate??

4 posters

Go down

Advice Needed re: Spring Humping - Should I Separate?? Empty Advice Needed re: Spring Humping - Should I Separate??

Post by p_prod_uk Sun Apr 12, 2009 7:56 pm

Dude has been chasing Poppy a lot over the last two weeks or so and today he was chasing her so much that she ran about 6 laps of the shed trying to get away from him. She went to drink from the water bottle but had to run away to stop him humping her. She's really very placid, but I noticed today that she's showing signs of the start of aggression (not that I can blame her) as she keep turning round to face him very abruptly and lunging a little to warn him off.
How long does the spring humping last for? Would i be better putting a play pen in there for one to be in, so she can get some peace but still be close to him?

I've had so much bunny stress recently and feel like tearing my hair out

Advice?

Thanks
ETA: i'd never forgive myself if they had a fight whilst i wasn't there and really worry about her suddenly going for him through frustration

p_prod_uk
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 138
Registration date : 2008-07-15

Back to top Go down

Advice Needed re: Spring Humping - Should I Separate?? Empty Re: Advice Needed re: Spring Humping - Should I Separate??

Post by nethie Sun Apr 12, 2009 8:43 pm

if you want to be on the safe side if your worried can you not put a bar of wire or something between them , then they can still see and sniff each other but not come to any harm

touch wood rosie my nethie has calmed now she was like this back in january and id had them separated since then until friday now they are in love snuggling again Smile

nethie
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2334
Registration date : 2008-07-03

Back to top Go down

Advice Needed re: Spring Humping - Should I Separate?? Empty Re: Advice Needed re: Spring Humping - Should I Separate??

Post by p_prod_uk Sun Apr 12, 2009 8:53 pm

Thanks for replying. I've been refreshing the page every 2 minutes!! Embarassed Laughing

Yeah i might put the play pen up for them. Just been worrying so much with various rabbity problems recently Sad

p_prod_uk
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by senatorvass Sun Apr 12, 2009 8:55 pm

Have they been bonded for a while, and is one or both neutered? If those 2 things are in place then hopefully it will just be a little tiff between them and pass very quickly.

Sorry you are having bunny woes at the moment. x

senatorvass
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1794
Registration date : 2008-12-31

Back to top Go down

Post by racheld69 Sun Apr 12, 2009 8:57 pm

are they both neutered? would be a shame to split if not really necessary but i can see your worries as well.
racheld69
racheld69
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 3256
Registration date : 2008-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post by p_prod_uk Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:18 pm

both are neutered and have been bonded for about a year (just less). usually they're fine, but they share their shed with Angel (a neutered female) so I just think Dude is extremely hormonal. I just worry too much and really don't want to separate them if I don't have to, I just don't want them to have a full on fight.

p_prod_uk
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by senatorvass Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:23 pm

In my experience, neutered, bonded rabbits take a lot to really turn against each other violently - beyond mere tiffs. Bickering and fighting a bit is normal I should think but I wouldnt worry too much. Still you know your buns best, so you think about their temperaments. But were it my rabbits I wouldnt worry at this point. Ours have been through several phases like this.

senatorvass
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by p_prod_uk Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:45 pm

senatorvass wrote:In my experience, neutered, bonded rabbits take a lot to really turn against each other violently - beyond mere tiffs. Bickering and fighting a bit is normal I should think but I wouldnt worry too much. Still you know your buns best, so you think about their temperaments. But were it my rabbits I wouldnt worry at this point. Ours have been through several phases like this.

Thank you Smile

How long does "Spring Fever" tend to last?

p_prod_uk
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by senatorvass Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:58 pm

Will let you know in Autumn! Laughing

senatorvass
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by p_prod_uk Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:11 pm

senatorvass wrote:Will let you know in Autumn! Laughing

oh god... pale Laughing Laughing

p_prod_uk
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down