Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hello!

+3
Happy Hoppers
Catsknickers
Birds_Will_Fly
7 posters

Go down

Hello! Empty Hello!

Post by Birds_Will_Fly Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:51 am

Hello, I'm Hayley and I'm gaining a netherland dwarf today. Someone brought him and his brother but have had to seperate due to fighting so I'm to be his new mummy. I have owned dwarf lops and dutch rabbits before but never a netherland. Any advice to give me?

Also will he need a friend? Maybe a doe? Can I put another breed with him or is he better left on his own? Thanks very much for your help!

Birds_Will_Fly
New Hopper
New Hopper

Number of posts : 22
Registration date : 2009-04-27

Back to top Go down

Hello! Empty Re: Hello!

Post by Catsknickers Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:08 am

Welcome to HH Hayley. You must be very excited. You can put any breed with your bun sweetie. There is lots of advice available here. Are you after basic advice... I don't want to teach you to suck eggs....
Catsknickers
Catsknickers
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 12740
Registration date : 2008-06-22

http://www.rspca-lincoln.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Happy Hoppers Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:27 pm

Hi and welcome to HH Wave.

You can put pretty much any breed with him but I would steer clear of size extremes just to reduce the risk of accidental injury between them. Generally the best gender combination is a male and a female (both neutered). Smile
Happy Hoppers
Happy Hoppers
Admin

Number of posts : 6477
Registration date : 2008-06-14

http://happyhoppers.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Birds_Will_Fly Mon Apr 27, 2009 1:50 pm

What breed would be best to put in with him? Would he be likely to fight with them like he did his brother?

Birds_Will_Fly
New Hopper
New Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Mon Apr 27, 2009 2:30 pm

I don't think i matters about the breed. He probably fought with his brother because they had both got a bit older and the old hormones started to kick in. That can be sorted out by having him neutered when his little furry balls drop.
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Number of posts : 14530
Registration date : 2008-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Birds_Will_Fly Mon Apr 27, 2009 2:34 pm

Hes 11 weeks old. What age do you neuter them?

Birds_Will_Fly
New Hopper
New Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Happy Hoppers Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:19 pm

It depends on when their testicals have dropped but it is usually around 14-16 weeks and the smaller the breed the faster they tend to mature. Bucks can be fertile for 6 weeks after the 'snip' though, so shouldn't be with any un-neutered females during that time.

Has he had his vaccines yet...the vet can show you what to look for otherwise when you take him for those. Smile
Happy Hoppers
Happy Hoppers
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Birds_Will_Fly Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:21 pm

Hes unvaccinated. Hes going to be a house rabbit. Would you still get him vaccinated?

Birds_Will_Fly
New Hopper
New Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:21 pm

If you look at the home page there is a section giving lots of information about areas such as neutering, feeding etc.

Generally with boys they reach sexual maturity about 3 months and can be neutered between 12 - 20 weeks once their balls have dropped. Sometimes it can be later and sometimes they can have a retained testicle. (My Felix has one retained ball).

Once the hormones come through they will fight with another unneutered male, even one they were previously with. The shame of it is that lots of people will get rabbits when they are 8 weeks old and happy together. They then reach maturity and sometimes will start to fight. Usually neutering solves that problem and it also stops male rabbits spraying urine which is something they do to mark territory - often that includes you!
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:24 pm

He will still need to be vaccinated against myxi and VHD.

Myxi can be transmitted by flies, other rabbits or fleas and for his welfare and your peace of mind, it is better to have it done, even if he is an indoors animal because they can still catch it. It is done every six months.

VHD is also a nasty disease and can kill very quickly without symptoms. It is given yearly, but cannot be given within two weeks of a myxi jab.
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Happy Hoppers Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:26 pm

Birds_Will_Fly wrote:Hes unvaccinated. Hes going to be a house rabbit. Would you still get him vaccinated?

Definately. Catswhiskas lost her little bun Blanket to Myxi today and he was a housebunny. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

The Nobivac Myxomatosis vaccine can be given from 6 weeks and the Cylap or Lapinject VHD from 10 weeks. There should be a minimum gap of 2 weeks between the administration of the vaccines, they are not licensed for use simultaneously and such use can make the rabbit poorly by overloading the immune system, it will also affect the efficiency of the vaccine.
Happy Hoppers
Happy Hoppers
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Birds_Will_Fly Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:28 pm

Just like your dog and cat vaccinations then. I live in the contryside with fields and lots of wild rabbits around so need to have him vaccinated. Is it a 100% vaccine?

Birds_Will_Fly
New Hopper
New Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Birds_Will_Fly Mon Apr 27, 2009 4:22 pm

He's just arrived. Hes black with brown flashes, brown on his ears and the bottom of his feet. Anyone know what colour he is? Just letting him settle in for abit.

Birds_Will_Fly
New Hopper
New Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Josephine Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:40 pm

Wave Hello Hayley, welcome to Happy Hoppers.
Josephine
Josephine
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 3380
Registration date : 2008-07-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Happy Hoppers Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:45 pm

Birds_Will_Fly wrote:Just like your dog and cat vaccinations then. I live in the contryside with fields and lots of wild rabbits around so need to have him vaccinated. Is it a 100% vaccine?

The VHD I believe is, however the Myxomatosis vaccine is actually derived from the Shope Fibroma virus which produces a cross immunisation against certain strains of myxomatosis and it is not 100% effective. What is worth remembering is vaccinated rabbits are more likely to develop the nodular form of myxomatosis which is generally not considered life threatening, while full blown myxomatosis in unvaccinated bunnies usually results in euthanasia or a miserable and slow death.
Happy Hoppers
Happy Hoppers
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:01 pm

Hi Hayley and welcome to HH Wave I'm sure you'll get all the help you'll need. You'll most likely get a brooader range of answers in the relevant sections of the forum. Infirmary etc. I have a house bunny, he's vaccinated every 6 months against Myxi, and annually against VHD. Looking forward to seeing pics of your new arrival Very Happy
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11365
Registration date : 2008-07-02

http://www.hoppingmad.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Dan Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:22 pm

Hi and welcome iv only been a member for a week or so now and every one on here is so friendly and helpfull and im sore it wont take long till you discover that for your self

Dan.

Dan
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 92
Registration date : 2009-04-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum: