Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Help i've got a mouse in my garage!!!

+4
lopz
Snowy
Jay
Peanut
8 posters

Go down

Help i've got a mouse in my garage!!! Empty Help i've got a mouse in my garage!!!

Post by Peanut Mon May 11, 2009 12:30 pm

Peanut and Daphne live in the garage, I have just been cleaning them out and I could hear some scratching , next thing a tiny little mouse ran across the top of Daphne's cage!

So how can I humanely get rid of and keep mice out of the garage? I don't know how long it has been in there , is there any thing that peanut or Daphne could of caught from the mouse? i'm really worried now I don't want it eating their food!!
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 72
Registration date : 2009-03-31

Back to top Go down

Help i've got a mouse in my garage!!! Empty Re: Help i've got a mouse in my garage!!!

Post by Jay Tue May 12, 2009 9:01 am

Hi Peanut, I'm sorry but I haven't got a clue about this, i'll see if I can find someone who knows Smile
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11365
Registration date : 2008-07-02

http://www.hoppingmad.org

Back to top Go down

Help i've got a mouse in my garage!!! Empty Re: Help i've got a mouse in my garage!!!

Post by Snowy Tue May 12, 2009 9:26 am

I had a mouse living in my garden for ages, he used to come and visit Willow, never did any harm and never multiplied either Shocked , look at the food bowl

Help i've got a mouse in my garage!!! Willow2157.07

Help i've got a mouse in my garage!!! WillowMouse25707

I know you can get humane traps, then maybe you could release it in a nearby field
Snowy
Snowy
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 6022
Registration date : 2008-07-06

Back to top Go down

Post by lopz Tue May 12, 2009 10:12 am

Where I used to live, I had mice in my garage, we found out when moving.
I saw one once that visited my bun, no harm done.
They say mice don't come when you have guinnea pigs. Can be true, I never saw one where my GP and bunnies share.
Live traps, like Snowy says is fine.
lopz
lopz
Banned

Number of posts : 999
Registration date : 2009-03-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Tue May 12, 2009 10:17 am

Snowy wrote:I had a mouse living in my garden for ages, he used to come and visit Willow, never did any harm and never multiplied either Shocked , look at the food bowl

Squuuueeeee Laughing I love meeces! We had afamily of harvest mice living on our balcony the year before Bertie arrived. They were so gorgeous :luv: I wouldn't do anythinkg about them if they came back Smile
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Happy Hoppers Tue May 12, 2009 10:40 am

You can get human traps which you place food bait in and set, a pressure pad is used to shut the door when the mouse goes in to take the bait. You must check it a couple of times a day though so the mouse can be released into a safe area (nearby field or woodland) asap.

I think most DIY type shops sell them.
Happy Hoppers
Happy Hoppers
Admin

Number of posts : 6477
Registration date : 2008-06-14

http://happyhoppers.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Peanut Tue May 12, 2009 11:22 am

Thanks everyone , i had a look for a humane trap yesterday at a few shops but couldn't find one Sad so I had a look on line last night and I have found these http://www.wilkinsonplus.com/Weedkillers+Insecticides/The-Big-Cheese-Mouse-and-Rat-Repeller/invt/0260563 , does anybody know if they will be ok to use with the rabbits in the garage? and are they humane? from the looks of it they just send the mice on there way. Very Happy
Peanut
Peanut
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Peanut Tue May 12, 2009 11:24 am

Jay wrote:
Snowy wrote:I had a mouse living in my garden for ages, he used to come and visit Willow, never did any harm and never multiplied either Shocked , look at the food bowl

Squuuueeeee Laughing I love meeces! We had afamily of harvest mice living on our balcony the year before Bertie arrived. They were so gorgeous :luv: I wouldn't do anythinkg about them if they came back Smile

I've just realised that's why Peanut and Daphne have started going straight to their food bowl as soon as i fill it up .................. they want to get there before little mousey does Laughing ( that pic is so sweet )
Peanut
Peanut
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynda Tue May 12, 2009 12:00 pm

I wouldn't use a sound based repellent as it will probably be heard by the buns as well and would probably frighten them.

We had field mice, such beautiful wee beasties, I totally fell in love with them, and they're so fast!!!! Shocked

We used humane traps to move some of our mice on, you have to take them very far away otherwise they will come back (we took them to a field about a mile away). We baited the traps with weetabix and chocolate, worked a treat! But you HAVE to check the traps very very often, one died after only 20 minutes of being in the trap, I was devastated Sad

Our buns remained completely healthy and the mice caused no problems, I used to call them the bun's pets! I haven't seen many mice here lately but I think the local cats are catching them Sad

Help i've got a mouse in my garage!!! DSCF3630

Help i've got a mouse in my garage!!! Th_DSCF3721

Help i've got a mouse in my garage!!! Th_bbc0101c
Lynda
Lynda
Rescuer

Number of posts : 682
Registration date : 2008-08-01

http://www.bunnyhugger.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Tue May 12, 2009 1:45 pm

Lynda, I wanna come and live with you Laughing
Those vids are so sweet! Nice to see you, everything ok I hope? Wave
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynda Tue May 12, 2009 2:52 pm

Laughing Jay, you and Paul would be welcome here any time!

Just starting to pick myself up again, I lost Kobe, my best boy Sad and two others are having to be nebbed so it takes up a lot of time, but I do pop on and browse, HH keeps me sane! Laughing
Lynda
Lynda
Rescuer

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Tue May 12, 2009 2:58 pm

Sad I'm sorry about Kobe, that's so sad, Hugs (and I don't know what nebbed is? )
Thanks for the offer, I may well be Scotland bound soonish, will keep you posted Smile
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by LilleJente Tue May 12, 2009 3:12 pm

Hi!!!

Mice are fine with rabbits, except if they wee in their food, which can cause upset tummies, or if they bite them which can cause infection, and such things, so it is better to clear them on out.

I had a whole family living in my shed, and I caught the babies quite reglarly Laughing they were soooo cute, in the end I bought thesehttp://www.primrose-london.co.uk/humane-mouse-trap-set-two-single-p-694.html?cPath=24_25 - They worked really really well, and came with bait, easy to clean, and once the bait was gone I just put rabbit food in there, and well in the end I caught the whole family, (2 a night) I kept them in a mouse tank until I had the all of them, and then I went about 2 miles away to a canal and let them go - I haven't seen a mouse since.......

Good Luck!!
LilleJente
LilleJente
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1273
Registration date : 2008-09-22

http://www.four-legs-good.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by Peanut Tue May 12, 2009 3:40 pm

Hi , well I had a look this morning at the sound based ones and Lynda you are right they cannot be used around buns. I couldn't find any humane traps , bur I have been reading on the net that mice hate the smell of peppermint so I have bought some peppermint oil that I am going to put on cotton wool and place all over the garage (I will make sure the buns can't reach it) and i'll see how that works , might not work but you never know until you try. I will let you know if they move on.

Thanks so much everyone for you help and input Very Happy

Tamsin x
Peanut
Peanut
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Snowy Tue May 12, 2009 4:15 pm

Thumbs Up Good luck and let us now if it works
Snowy
Snowy
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 6022
Registration date : 2008-07-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Dan Tue May 12, 2009 4:44 pm

I to have a mouse it likes to visit Poppy for a bite to eat now and again there is one up side to mice coz if you have mice you wont get rat's not shore why just what iv been told

Help i've got a mouse in my garage!!! Picture022-1

Dan
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 92
Registration date : 2009-04-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynda Tue May 12, 2009 6:14 pm

Jay wrote:Sad I'm sorry about Kobe, that's so sad, Hugs (and I don't know what nebbed is? )
Thanks for the offer, I may well be Scotland bound soonish, will keep you posted Smile

Nebbed is nebulised to help with breathing, sorry for abbreviating but you sort of get used to just using nebbed Laughing

Ooooooooo!!! When are you coming to bonny Scotland then? Happy Dance Happy Dance Happy Dance Sooooo many buns for you to snuggle!!!! and you can even pop in to see the Ebony Eyes bunnies too, they're just 2 minutes away from us Smile
Lynda
Lynda
Rescuer

Back to top Go down

Post by Peanut Thu May 14, 2009 2:24 pm

Well here's a little update , I got some peppermint oil and put it on cotton wool all over the garage i put some in a saucer and left the cotton wool in it to soak, went in this morning and the cotton wool has disappeared and some bits have been ripped up! i'm really not keen on getting the humane mouse traps as I am at work all day so they mouse may be it in for a while. Does anybody have the sonar pest repellent tings that are ok for rabbits as all the ones i have looked at it says they are not. I don't know wether to bring PEanut and Daphne into the house for a few days and then use one of those sonar things waht does everone think. I'm so paranoid about my buns catching something or being attacked by them.
Peanut
Peanut
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by LilleJente Fri May 15, 2009 5:46 pm

I think the mouse will just come back when the buns do, and I left the traps out over night, and all he mice were fine come morning Smile I also think any sonar device will bother the buns even if it says bunny safe.....
LilleJente
LilleJente
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1273
Registration date : 2008-09-22

http://www.four-legs-good.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down