Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Charlie, my Buddabun. 1st July 2009

+17
coco
Snowy
KathyT
Catsknickers
biscuitblossom
LilleJente
proudmummy
Rice
Jay
Rosie Rabbit
Josephine
lopz
rallybunny
SarahJane
Happy Hoppers
jan
buddabun
21 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Charlie, my Buddabun. 1st July 2009 Empty Charlie, my Buddabun. 1st July 2009

Post by buddabun Fri Jul 03, 2009 2:32 pm

Where do I start?

I have put this off long enough but genuinely don’t know where to begin to describe how much this little man meant to me. This will be a long post but I wouldn't have it any other way.

Charlie was my first ever bunny. I’m embarrassed to say he was an impulse buy but when you saw him as a baby you can understand why. He quickly turned my view of rabbits from “dull, boring creatures who sit in a hutch all day” to the amazing characters we know they can be and was, quite frankly, the most adorable little chap I had ever seen. Without exception.

I was at uni at the time and he lived in my room with me. He loved to snuggle himself down on my bed in what has become the notorious “buddabun” pose – chest puffed out like some tiny fuzzy emperor. This little guy owned the place from day one. He’d sit on the top stair and groom my face for me, often giving my hair a trim if necessary but always making sure I knew my place.

But he also kept me going through some very hard times. Often headstrong, if Charlie had had enough of being held, you would know about it. He’d dig at you, nibble on your clothing (and often right through to your skin) until you put him down, then he’d go about his business. I have many a jumper, dressing down and T shirt that bears the scars of Charlie's wrath! But if you were upset he somehow knew it. I've never known anything like it but he could sense if you really did need him and would let you cuddle him, cry hysterically on his head and sniffle into his gorgeous ears for as long as you liked, no nibbles to interrupt you, so long as he was given a chance to clean up and dry off afterwards. He really did keep me sane through a very difficult time in my life and was always there to make me smile and run circles around me.

Charlie was an indoor bun but loved trips outside. We were lucky enough to have a decent-sized garden at uni and at the last house Mr B and I lived in before moving to Brunei. Watching him lollop around the garden, ears flapping like a little puppy couldn’t fail to put a smile on your face. He even won over my very ‘anti-pet’ father in law, who we stayed with for Charlie’s first Christmas. He had a whale of a time scooting around their newly landscaped garden in the snow, even going ice skating briefly on their frozen pond.

When we got Jack (who we originally thought was a boy) they bonded pretty much instantly. Charlie was so good natured he would befriend a rattlesnake if he ever came across one! They quickly became inseparable, with Jack being the obvious queen bee, demanding washes from Charlie at regular intervals and generally playing him for the sap that he was. They’d cuddle up together and spend pretty much every moment they could together, snuggled up in the sun or munching their dinner together, he would always make sure she had had enough food before finishing his off.

Charlie didn’t fail to win over every single person he met. Even our neighbours’ two kittens got bored of stalking and pouncing on a bunny who so clearly wanted to be friends. Where Jack would give them the run around (very successfully!), Charlie would bound up to them and introduce himself, which really put them off their sneak attacks!

Leaving my rabbits behind was a very hard thing to do, but I always thought that somehow I’d see Charlie again. I suppose that’s the way it is with your first rabbit. He was my 'heart-bunny', such a constant in my life and for so long that I suppose I just assumed he’d be around forever. It was hard enough to leave him behind thinking I would see him again, but the thought that I’ll never get to cuddle him, sniff behind his ears or bury my face in his furry side again just brings me to tears again and again.

I don’t know how things are going to go on without him. I really can’t describe the empty gaping hole he has left inside my heart. No bunny will ever replace him, no matter how special, and I ache just thinking about it.

Charlie, you were the sweetest-natured, cheekiest, softest most beautiful little man I ever met. I can’t even begin to express how much you meant to me. I don’t have enough words and there are not enough hours in the day. You were the most special bunny I have ever known and I hope you are at peace now.

Sleep tight my gorgeous Buddabun. I will miss you so much.

When we first got him. Weighing just under 500g:
Charlie, my Buddabun. 1st July 2009 Charlierosemary
Charlie, my Buddabun. 1st July 2009 CNV00030-1
Charlie, my Buddabun. 1st July 2009 23

Disapproving of my night in...
Charlie, my Buddabun. 1st July 2009 Empty
...but demanding his own glass!
Charlie, my Buddabun. 1st July 2009 Empty4j

He would always indicate 'right', especially after a mad dash around the garden, he would stop for breath and make sure we knew which direction he was heading off in next Smile
Charlie, my Buddabun. 1st July 2009 Charliemouth
Charlie, my Buddabun. 1st July 2009 DSC_0681

Blending in with the snow, and managing to look totally innocent whilst devouring what was no doubt a very expensive rare herb plant in my father in law's garden Laughing
Charlie, my Buddabun. 1st July 2009 DSC_7363
Charlie, my Buddabun. 1st July 2009 Charliefood

Sunny summer days
Charlie, my Buddabun. 1st July 2009 Charliegrass
Charlie, my Buddabun. 1st July 2009 DSC_2298

How I got my username... and every other username I have ever used when joining forums! He is fast asleep in this photo. I took ages sneaking up on him to make sure he didn't move but he was sound asleep and looked hugely grumpy Laughing
Charlie, my Buddabun. 1st July 2009 DSC_2282

And finally, with his little furry soul mate Jack. Sleep tight my beautiful bunnies. I'm so sorry we couldn't be together one last time Sad
Charlie, my Buddabun. 1st July 2009 Charliejack-1
buddabun
buddabun
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 7749
Registration date : 2008-06-24

http://www.cluster-jewellery.com/

Back to top Go down

Charlie, my Buddabun. 1st July 2009 Empty Re: Charlie, my Buddabun. 1st July 2009

Post by jan Fri Jul 03, 2009 2:39 pm

Binky Free Charlie xxxx
jan
jan
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1481
Registration date : 2008-12-31

Back to top Go down

Charlie, my Buddabun. 1st July 2009 Empty Re: Charlie, my Buddabun. 1st July 2009

Post by Happy Hoppers Fri Jul 03, 2009 2:40 pm

Such a beautiful tribute to a truely special little bunny, his baby pictures are just adorable. How lucky were you both to end up with each other!

Binky Free beautiful boy, give Lex & Mack a nosey from me. x
Happy Hoppers
Happy Hoppers
Admin

Number of posts : 6477
Registration date : 2008-06-14

http://happyhoppers.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by buddabun Fri Jul 03, 2009 2:47 pm

Thanks Sooz. We really were lucky to have found each other.
buddabun
buddabun
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by SarahJane Fri Jul 03, 2009 3:13 pm

that just made me cry! Im so sorry you lost him he was such a special boy.
I hope he is with Jack again now.

Sad
SarahJane
SarahJane
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 6018
Registration date : 2008-07-01

Back to top Go down

Post by buddabun Fri Jul 03, 2009 3:36 pm

It's just not enough. It doesn't begin to describe how special he was but my brain just can't find the right words... I honestly truly do not know where to start... Not a happy household this end.
buddabun
buddabun
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by rallybunny Fri Jul 03, 2009 4:12 pm

Binky free Charlie bun. Sad
rallybunny
rallybunny
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 859
Registration date : 2008-07-29

Back to top Go down

Post by lopz Fri Jul 03, 2009 4:46 pm

I understand why this was an impulse buy, he looked adorable.
My first bun was Marylou, the feeling when I found her dead so unexpectedly, it was ice water through my veins.
I feel so sorry for you. You wrote the most beautiful text. May he rest in peace.
lopz
lopz
Banned

Number of posts : 999
Registration date : 2009-03-29

Back to top Go down

Post by buddabun Fri Jul 03, 2009 5:23 pm

Thanks lopz, but it just doesn't do him justice. I don't think I ever could.

I knew nothing about bunnies when I bought him but once I took him home (with only a litter tray, some hay and some food) I found a rabbit forum and learned everything I could.

It's not the way round I would have planned it and was downright irresponsible if I'm honest. But I wouldn't change it for the world. He was a prince
buddabun
buddabun
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Josephine Fri Jul 03, 2009 6:03 pm

A very fitting tribute to THE most stunning bunny. Sleep tight Charlie.
R.I.P
Josephine
Josephine
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 3380
Registration date : 2008-07-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Rosie Rabbit Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:52 pm

What a beautiful tribute, I've tears in my eyes just reading it. I can't imagine how devastated you must feel.

Charlie was clearly an incredibly special bunny and I'm so sorry you won't get to see him and snuggle with him again. Crying or Very sad He's at peace now with little Jack. Sleep tight Charlie xxx
Rosie Rabbit
Rosie Rabbit
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Fri Jul 03, 2009 9:46 pm

Sad I'm so sorry you lost your heart bunny, he's been part of our lives for so long, I'll really miss him.
Sleep tight Little Charlie, and have fun with Jack x
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11365
Registration date : 2008-07-02

http://www.hoppingmad.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Rice Sat Jul 04, 2009 1:59 am

Helen this was really beatiful what you wrote about Charlie, I've got tears in my eyes reading it. I'm so sorry you've lost your little man, he was such a special bun.

Big hugs Helen and binky free Charlie. xx
Rice
Rice
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2718

Back to top Go down

Post by buddabun Sat Jul 04, 2009 2:21 am

Thank you so much guys. I'm surprised how many of you are affected by this! He meant so much to me but I had no idea you felt so fondly of him Love
buddabun
buddabun
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by proudmummy Sat Jul 04, 2009 3:10 am

<hugs> helen am thinking of you and char at this time xx

binky free charlie xxxx
proudmummy
proudmummy
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2271
Registration date : 2008-08-27

Back to top Go down

Post by LilleJente Sat Jul 04, 2009 6:05 am

I'm so sorry Helen, and charl, I thought charlie was sunning, and he had the character to match

Binky free beautiful man - have fun with Jack xx

Hugs
LilleJente
LilleJente
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1273
Registration date : 2008-09-22

http://www.four-legs-good.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by biscuitblossom Sat Jul 04, 2009 1:46 pm

He was a very good looking bunny,the baby pic is so cute , so sorry he had to leave you .x

Sleeptight Charlie.x

biscuitblossom
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 352

Back to top Go down

Post by Catsknickers Sat Jul 04, 2009 7:30 pm

Oh man, I can't see to type, I am streaming.Helen that was beautiful and I can honestly say that that describes the Charlie I know, 110%.

I have so many tops with nibble marks, where my hugs, overstayed their welcome.

When he got poorly with stasis the first time, I remember him coming inside and just taking over the house! He was amazing and as soon as he got better, he would just beg constantly.

Only last weekend he was hopping round the house when Alex's new fella came round and this guy was enthralled by him.

I will miss you so much Charlie, it was a pleasure to serve you. I only hope you are back with your wife now and eating the grass of the heavens xxx

Charlie, my Buddabun. 1st July 2009 DSC00732
The day he arrived, with Jack and Brian.

Charlie, my Buddabun. 1st July 2009 DSC00721
Cleaning up his wife!

Charlie, my Buddabun. 1st July 2009 JulyPic2008005

Charlie, my Buddabun. 1st July 2009 JulyPic2008013

Charlie, my Buddabun. 1st July 2009 DSC01000

Charlie, my Buddabun. 1st July 2009 JulyPic2008110

Charlie, my Buddabun. 1st July 2009 DSC01245
Last ever picture of Charlie, on a vet visit after his last bout of stasis.
Catsknickers
Catsknickers
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 12740
Registration date : 2008-06-22

http://www.rspca-lincoln.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by KathyT Sat Jul 04, 2009 9:53 pm

I can't believe he's gone - such a wonderfully beautiful little bun, and so full of character - I'll miss hearing about his exploits!

Sleep well Charlie - take our love to the Bridge xxxx

Helen & Charlotte, you gave so much love to Charlie, and I know it will come back to you threefold through your lives. Nobody could have loved a bun more. Hugs
KathyT
KathyT
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2743

Back to top Go down

Post by Snowy Sat Jul 04, 2009 10:43 pm

I am so very, very sorry, bunky free Charlie, have fun at the bridge xx
Snowy
Snowy
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 6022
Registration date : 2008-07-06

Back to top Go down

Post by buddabun Sun Jul 05, 2009 4:23 am

Great pics Charlotte, thank you Smile

I didn't spot Bri in the first one, he looks like part of the carpet.

Bless him he did used to make sure Jack had had her bath before cleaning himself and was obsessed with buns' eyes! Little budding optician.

Sleep tight little man Hugs Crying or Very sad
buddabun
buddabun
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Catsknickers Sun Jul 05, 2009 5:41 pm

"Gone Too Soon"

Like A Comet
Blazing 'Cross The Evening Sky
Gone Too Soon

Like A Rainbow
Fading In The Twinkling Of An Eye
Gone Too Soon

Shiny And Sparkly
And Splendidly Bright
Here One Day
Gone One Night

Like The Loss Of Sunlight
On A Cloudy Afternoon
Gone Too Soon

Like A Castle
Built Upon A Sandy Beach
Gone Too Soon

Like A Perfect Flower
That Is Just Beyond Your Reach
Gone Too Soon

Born To Amuse, To Inspire, To Delight
Here One Day
Gone One Night

Like A Sunset
Dying With The Rising Of The Moon
Gone Too Soon

Gone Too Soon
Catsknickers
Catsknickers
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Snowy Sun Jul 05, 2009 5:42 pm

Oh Charlotte, Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
Snowy
Snowy
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 6022
Registration date : 2008-07-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Catsknickers Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:40 am

"Born To Amuse, To Inspire, To Delight
Here One Day
Gone One Night"

This really was Charlie Sad
Catsknickers
Catsknickers
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by buddabun Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:35 am

To a tee
buddabun
buddabun
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next