Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Megazorb is it safe if eaten

+4
NickieM
thumpersmum
biscuitblossom
jan
8 posters

Go down

Megazorb is it safe if eaten Empty Megazorb is it safe if eaten

Post by jan Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:06 pm

Megazorb Does anyone use it ?

at the moment i use wood pellets and hay in their litter tray but the cost of wood pellets keeps going up another 50p in 2 weeks Mad

Thanks

Last edited by jan on Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
jan
jan
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1481
Registration date : 2008-12-31

Back to top Go down

Megazorb is it safe if eaten Empty Re: Megazorb is it safe if eaten

Post by biscuitblossom Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:17 pm

I use it...sometimes i order from the hay experts and smetimes get it locally at a garden centre.

biscuitblossom
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 352
Registration date : 2008-07-01

Back to top Go down

Post by thumpersmum Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:59 pm

Yep we use it here too.

thumpersmum
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1212
Registration date : 2008-07-07

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:12 pm

I just use a thick newspaper - the whole thing. My neighbours save them for me for the buns and put in some hay.
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Number of posts : 14530
Registration date : 2008-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by holidayhutch Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:21 pm

We use it here for all the boarders in their litter trays

holidayhutch
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 142
Registration date : 2008-09-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Ears Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:40 pm

Are there any problems with bunnies eating it? I got my first bag of it today from the Hay Experts (as I know a lot of bunny people use it) but I've always used wood pellets before, I was expecting it to be more like wood than paper. I'm a bit wary of them eating it and getting bunged up... though I know loads of people use it so is should be safe.

Big Ears
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1000
Registration date : 2008-07-09

Back to top Go down

Post by jan Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:10 pm

Big Ears wrote:Are there any problems with bunnies eating it? I got my first bag of it today from the Hay Experts (as I know a lot of bunny people use it) but I've always used wood pellets before, I was expecting it to be more like wood than paper. I'm a bit wary of them eating it and getting bunged up... though I know loads of people use it so is should be safe.

Let me know how you get on please.This is why i'm unsure as i tried paper and hay but they take all the paper out and tend to eat some.
jan
jan
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1481
Registration date : 2008-12-31

Back to top Go down

Post by SarahP Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:42 pm

I'm a bit dubious about Megazorb being eaten these days. I use it for absorbency, but have something over the top.

When I had bunnies I was warned off it by a vet, so I started putting a layer of straw over it between the Megazorb and the hay. I've also recently started using Finacard on top of it with the piggies too, as I've got a gassy pig, and the Megazorb seemed to be making that worse.

The trouble with it is that it goes in whether they mean to eat it or not, as its so fine and gets caught up in hay, food etc.
SarahP
SarahP
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 344

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Ears Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:42 pm

jan wrote:
Big Ears wrote:Are there any problems with bunnies eating it? I got my first bag of it today from the Hay Experts (as I know a lot of bunny people use it) but I've always used wood pellets before, I was expecting it to be more like wood than paper. I'm a bit wary of them eating it and getting bunged up... though I know loads of people use it so is should be safe.

Let me know how you get on please.This is why i'm unsure as i tried paper and hay but they take all the paper out and tend to eat some.

I'm feeling apprehensive about using it as I've just got Artie through yet another bout of stasis this week, though he's the least likely of the 4 to eat it ....

I've run out of wood pellets so have put Megazorb in 2 trays. I have put about 1 inch of it in and decided to use some Easibed (also horse bedding) on top. Easibed is a lot heavier and is small pieces of wood. It's a similar price to Megazorb but is no way as absorbent as as it needs to be for rabbit litter (I have mixed it with wood pellets in the past to make them go further). *hopefully* this should work as a good combination but Tinks sometimes digs and she and Rudy will really need watching as they are both bad at eating carpet.. anything they shouldn't really, so hopefully they won't like eating Megazorb. Will update in due course.

Big Ears
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Ears Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:11 pm

jan wrote:

Just letting you know how I got on with it. Brilliant. I'd really recommend it. Not been aware of anybun eating it although there has been some digging Rolling Eyes I've used Megazorb with a layer of Easibed (heavier and less absorbent) on top. It doesn't shake out of the tray (when emptying) as easily as wood pellet cat litter but is plenty absorbent enough and I must be saving a fortune compared to the bags of cat litter I used to buy Thumbs Up

Big Ears
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Bex Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:00 pm

I caught Flopsy happily sat eating megazorb off the floor the other week Rolling Eyes

I told the vet and he said there shouldn't be a problem, and there hasn't been a problem but i've stopped using it, just in case.

Bex
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 170

Back to top Go down

Post by jan Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:07 pm

at the moment i'm still using wood pellets. confused
jan
jan
Established Hopper