Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How do you tell if your rabbit is pregnant?

5 posters

Go down

How do you tell if your rabbit is pregnant? Empty How do you tell if your rabbit is pregnant?

Post by rosesandarrows Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:33 pm

I think my rabbit is pregnant.She escaped for a day and night she escaped four weeks ago.She won't let me pick her up how do I tell if she is pregnant?I'm clueless?This is my first rabbit.I have checked on every website but they don't tell me the information I need.

rosesandarrows
New Hopper
New Hopper

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2010-04-05

Back to top Go down

How do you tell if your rabbit is pregnant? Empty Re: How do you tell if your rabbit is pregnant?

Post by KatieB Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:21 pm

Hi Hun,

Im afraid that i dont know, but someone will be along shortly who should be able to help you.

What makes you think she might be pregnant? The more info you can give the better.

Katie
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

How do you tell if your rabbit is pregnant? Empty Re: How do you tell if your rabbit is pregnant?

Post by rosesandarrows Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:34 pm

The reason I think she is pregnant is because I live near wild rabbits theres thousands and I think she met a male rabbit and as well she seems very independent and she used to run right up to me but now she doesn't and a friend tried to pick her up and she actually growled at him and only allows females around.Thanks for helping if you need any more info just post a reply. Very Happy

rosesandarrows
New Hopper
New Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:40 pm

How old is your little girl?? Has she been vaccinated?
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Snowy Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:05 pm

Hi, it's very difficult to tell if a bunny is pregnant as being a prey animal they hide it very well, it could be just her hormones playing up, if she is pregnant then her teats will become larger and she will start to build a nest this is usually the day before they give birth and she won't eat either the day before she gives birth, rabbits usually give birth at night and she will need somewhere clean and dark with masses of hay

The only thing you can do is to keep a close eye on her and if she does give birth then don't touch the nest, please come back and ask if you need anymore help

Good luck
Snowy
Snowy
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 6022
Registration date : 2008-07-06

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:15 pm

How old is your rabbit? Could it be that she has just 'grown up' and the two events have coincided. Her growling might be nothing to do with her having escaped and just because she is now a big girl. Generally, girlies become sexually mature when they are six months old.

Rabbits give birth after about 31 days, so you won't have long to wait. She will probably start plucking fur from her chest a little while beforehand to make a nest. If you see her doing that, it might be that babies are on the way, but not always. Sometimes rabbits have phantom pregnancies.

Make sure you keep her secure for the next month and keep your fingers crossed. Good luck.
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Number of posts : 14530
Registration date : 2008-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by rosesandarrows Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:01 pm

My rabbit is one year old and was vaccinated but needs it again we did not want to get her vaccinated because it might hurt her babies if they are alive.By the way thanks for the advice guys please send me more!!! Very Happy

rosesandarrows
New Hopper
New Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:06 pm

This site has a lot of advice. http://www.rabbit.org/care/babies.html
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Number of posts : 14530
Registration date : 2008-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Happy Hoppers Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:38 pm

It is very hard for a novice to tell if a rabbit is pregnant and the behaviour only usually changes immediately prior to birth (food consumption drops, nest building begins, fur is plucked, may start to act aggressively).

A vet can sometimes tell by palpating the abdomen for kits but this is usually only successful if the doe is relatively far along. Some vets offer an ultrasound but this can be pricey.

The best way is to wait out the 28-33 day gestation period (starting from the day you got her back) plus a few more days to be sure and if no babies appear your doe is not pregnant.
Happy Hoppers
Happy Hoppers
Admin

Number of posts : 6477
Registration date : 2008-06-14

http://happyhoppers.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by rosesandarrows Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:31 pm

thanks for the help guys!!!! Thumbs Up

rosesandarrows
New Hopper
New Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down