Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WANTED: Giant Rabbit(s) in Glasgow/Scotland

+2
Jay
dwbconsultancy
6 posters

Go down

WANTED: Giant Rabbit(s) in Glasgow/Scotland Empty WANTED: Giant Rabbit(s) in Glasgow/Scotland

Post by dwbconsultancy Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:43 pm

Hi,

I've almost finished converting a greenhouse frame in to a fully purpose built rabbit hutch and run (I have removed all the glass - don't want the rabbits to over-heat!). I'm also waiting on the arrival of new hutches to store in my garage that will allow me to have a slightly warmer area, primarily as a backup/medical bay type idea, but also with potential for fostering rabbits needing rehomed.

I am desperate to get a couple of giant rabbits, but it seems nearly impossible to find them in Scotland?

Anyone got any suggestions? Or am I going to have to work out a way to transport them from elsewhere?

I'd prefer British Giants I think, as I'm a little pickier with the Conti breeds. I've also heard the British breed has a slightly better temperament (generally).

Anyway, any pointers would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
David

dwbconsultancy
New Hopper
New Hopper

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2010-04-08

Back to top Go down

WANTED: Giant Rabbit(s) in Glasgow/Scotland Empty Re: WANTED: Giant Rabbit(s) in Glasgow/Scotland

Post by Jay Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:56 pm

Hi David and welcome to HH Wave

Intrigued by the greenhouse/hutch run!

What avenues have you tried already to find your giants, and whereabouts are you? someone here may know of a rescue in your area Smile
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11365
Registration date : 2008-07-02

http://www.hoppingmad.org

Back to top Go down

WANTED: Giant Rabbit(s) in Glasgow/Scotland Empty Re: WANTED: Giant Rabbit(s) in Glasgow/Scotland

Post by dwbconsultancy Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:01 pm

I've done the usual searches on various forums for rescues, and checked with local rescue centres. I've also tried to locate breeders, but the nearest I've found so far is South Yorkshire somewhere. Being in Glasgow that's about a 9 hour round trip!

dwbconsultancy
New Hopper
New Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:03 pm

Hi David,

Nice to see another Scot on HH. There are quite a few of us now Wave

Janak (Coco) has a giant papillon and a french giant(?). They a lovely. Hope you get sorted out soon.
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Number of posts : 14530
Registration date : 2008-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:55 am

Buns have travelled similar distances before, although I don't know about the implications of that on a Giant, as they only have small hearts - perhaps something to consider, but I don't know enough about it really.

Good luck in your search.
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11365
Registration date : 2008-07-02

http://www.hoppingmad.org

Back to top Go down

Post by LilleJente Fri Apr 09, 2010 5:25 pm

There are quite a lot of giants in rescues around England - if your really serious about them (which it sounds like you are) I bet rescues would be willing to help sort out bunny runs!! Wave

Welcome to HH!! I love scots and the accents!!!!! Love Embarassed
LilleJente
LilleJente
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1273
Registration date : 2008-09-22

http://www.four-legs-good.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by Josephine Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:51 am

Wave Hi David, welcome to Happy Hoppers. I am Scottish too and hail from Glasgow, was up their a fortnight ago for my 60th birthday party and had a wonderful time. Nobody can party like us Scots. drunken
Josephine
Josephine
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 3380
Registration date : 2008-07-23

Back to top Go down

Post by dwbconsultancy Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:02 pm

Folks,

I've decided to abandon the greenhouse conversion as I was beginning to lose confidence in it's security.

So I'm going to invest in a new dog run instead ;-)

I've also found my two giants. Collect them on Sunday. I have a temporary home setup for them in the garage until the dog runs up and running.

Will post some pictures once they're in their new home.

Thanks to all those who have helped me try to source my rabbits.

dwbconsultancy
New Hopper
New Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Rosie Rabbit Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:18 pm

Hi David and welcome to the forum Wave

Glad to hear you've managed to find 2 giants - are you having to travel far for them?

A dog run sounds ideal - looking forward to seeing pics!

I'm in Ayrshire, so not far from Glasgow - it's one of my favourite places. Very Happy
Rosie Rabbit
Rosie Rabbit
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2016
Registration date : 2008-07-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down