Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is Cagney

+3
NSD
NickieM
Snowy
7 posters

Go down

This is Cagney Empty This is Cagney

Post by Snowy Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:22 pm

Took this lovely little girl in yesterday, she has a really sad story

Cagney was living with her sister Lacey and has been for 6 years, they have been taken to the vet regularly but the vet never told the owner that they should have hay every day or that they should be neutered, the sister had a prolapsed rectum and died, Cagney was left on her own and so the she thought she would get her another friend, when we checked Cagney over and we took her to our vet it appears that she has mammory tumours, she has grade 4-5 dental disease and needed 5 of her teeth clipping straight away and she also has deformed front legs.

The owners vet has never did a dental on this bunny and never noticed her tumours Shocked Shocked

The owner has given the rabbit over into our care because she doesn't think she can cope with her medications and care any more, hardly surprising when I tell you that her owner is 91 years old and her husband is 89 years old, they dearly love the bunny but just cannot give her the care she needs, they have asked if they can visit every week or so and have already made arrangements to come and visit

Beautiful Cagney

This is Cagney Cagney002x2

This is Cagney Cagney007x2

I really feel that this owner has been badly let down by her vet Crying or Very sad
Snowy
Snowy
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 6022
Registration date : 2008-07-06

Back to top Go down

This is Cagney Empty Re: This is Cagney

Post by NickieM Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:03 pm

That is so sad for the bunny and her owners. So good that they know that Cagney will be properly looked after and they can still see her. Love
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Number of posts : 14530
Registration date : 2008-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by NSD Tue Jul 06, 2010 3:53 am

How horrible! She looks like such a sweet lady and I hope that she enjoys her time with you.

Sorry but this just gets me really angry.

You hear all these stories about neglectful owners, you'd never imagine the vet would be so blatantly negligent in their treatment and advice to rabbit owners. Owners who don't know can plead ignorance, but vets are trained professionals with a degree. If they do not know anything about rabbits, they should have a duty of care to the animal to advise the owner to find another, more knowledgeable, vet!

I would be so devastated if I were her owners, you place a certain amoutn of trust in your vet to check your animal for common diseases and advise you on best care.

NSD
NSD
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2212
Registration date : 2010-02-27

Back to top Go down

Post by thumpersmum Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:34 am

What a beautiful bunny, and so sad that such wonderful owners have been so badly let down.

Unfortunately, I think it is a reflection of the standard of bunny care from many vets. Paula is my 4th vet, the previous three were not very rabbit aware, and I am 100% sure neither Thumper nor Ruby would be here if I had not found other experienced owners who were able to point me in her direction.

I'm glad she will get the care she needs, and that her owners obviously still care and will still see her.

thumpersmum
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1212
Registration date : 2008-07-07

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:09 am

Oh Bless her.

I understand that many bets are not as bunny aware as they should be.....but sureley something like teeth is a basic?

The owners must be heartbroken!

Once again though snowy, the wonderful work you do has made a difference to both the bun and her owners. Hugs

I bet she is going to be happy happy happy at Chez Snowy, and the owners happy that she will be getting the best care.

K x
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by buddabun Tue Jul 06, 2010 1:46 pm

She is beautiful! What a shame she's had such a rough start Sad
buddabun
buddabun
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 7749
Registration date : 2008-06-24

http://www.cluster-jewellery.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Tue Jul 06, 2010 3:10 pm

Blimey, that's some story Sad Poor Lacey. I'm glad they gave her to you Theo and didn't take the dark option. Give her a cuddle from us x
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11365
Registration date : 2008-07-02

http://www.hoppingmad.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Snowy Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:00 pm

Yes, she has been badly let down by the vet, I am taking her to Paula tomorrow so will let you know how she gets on
Snowy
Snowy
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Snowy Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:06 am

Took this gorgeous little girl to see my wonderful vet Paula today, Cagney has mammory tumours on every nipple and Paula thinks she could have uterine cancer but is not sure, she has the most appalling teeth or should I say the lack of them, she has a few broken stumps and many gaps where teeth are missing, Paula has put her on antibiotics to see if we can get her well enough to operate on at a later date

Paula has done this operation before, Missy arrived with exactly the same symptoms and she too had uterine cancer, Paula operated and she was given nearly 2 very happy years here.

Just hope we can get Cagney fit enough for the op
Snowy
Snowy
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down