Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Oh gosh no what's wrong with the rabbits...

5 posters

Go down

Oh gosh no what's wrong with the rabbits... Empty Oh gosh no what's wrong with the rabbits...

Post by Lottie Sat Jul 10, 2010 6:03 pm

I was checking on Brownie today (a rabbit that I'm keeping during the summer) because I was worried by the fact that he dosen't pee at all.
And I found something worrying...
Around the penis area, a dark, brown/yellowish, smelly substance, like hardened mucus... I tried to remove it with desinfectant and a small steril towel, but it wouldn't come off...

But the worst comes now. The two other buns have the same thing! pale
What the hell is that, and how am I supposed to deal with it? 2 of the bunnies aren't mine!
Lottie
Lottie
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 669
Registration date : 2010-01-05

http://www.flickr.com/photos/milkyfactory/

Back to top Go down

Oh gosh no what's wrong with the rabbits... Empty Re: Oh gosh no what's wrong with the rabbits...

Post by Jay Sat Jul 10, 2010 8:23 pm

Lottie, I'm sorry, I don't know. Are you able to get them to a vet soon if needs be?
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11365
Registration date : 2008-07-02

http://www.hoppingmad.org

Back to top Go down

Oh gosh no what's wrong with the rabbits... Empty Re: Oh gosh no what's wrong with the rabbits...

Post by Snowy Sat Jul 10, 2010 9:01 pm

Hi, is this thick and very smelly?, is it in the scent glands next to their 'bits'?, if it is then it is perfectly normal and all bunnies have it, when I check my bunnies the colours ranges from light cream to dark brown depending on which bunny it is

Can you check and let us know?
Snowy
Snowy
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 6022
Registration date : 2008-07-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Lottie Sat Jul 10, 2010 9:19 pm

I think it's probably the scent glands like Snowy says because it is thick and smelly, it did come to mind that it could be something like that, but it's strange because I never saw that on Chewy before!
Maybe he just has this now because there are 2 other male rabbits in the same room.
Obviously if I see Chewy is acting weird I'll take him and the other buns to the vet...
Lottie
Lottie
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 669
Registration date : 2010-01-05

http://www.flickr.com/photos/milkyfactory/

Back to top Go down

Post by Snowy Sat Jul 10, 2010 11:25 pm

Yes, the scent glands do tend to work a bit more when there are other bunnies around, I suppose it's only nature, I wouldn't worry too much as I am sure that's what it is but if you are concerned then pop them in to the vet to check over

Are they eating, weeing and pooing as normal?
Snowy
Snowy
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 6022
Registration date : 2008-07-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Happy Hoppers Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:14 am

The discharge from the scent glands tends to be a waxy, smelly substance. It's not usually necessary to clean them but if you wish too a damp cotton bud is the best approach.
Happy Hoppers
Happy Hoppers
Admin

Number of posts : 6477
Registration date : 2008-06-14

http://happyhoppers.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Vivi Sun Jul 11, 2010 3:32 pm

Kuja gets stuff matted in his fur under his chin.. I assume its the same stuff?
Vivi
Vivi
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 684
Registration date : 2009-06-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Happy Hoppers Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:56 am

Vivi wrote:Kuja gets stuff matted in his fur under his chin.. I assume its the same stuff?

Normally matted fur around the chin is a sign of dental issues as it's from them dribbling. It sometimes goes a yellowy colour when food proteins get mixed in with it. It sounds to me like he had probably better have a vet check-up anyway.....as if it isn't his teeth and is from his bits it won't be the scent glands.
Happy Hoppers
Happy Hoppers
Admin

Number of posts : 6477
Registration date : 2008-06-14

http://happyhoppers.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Vivi Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:47 pm

Ah - I just assumed it came as a side effect of him rubbing his chin on everything in sight..

I never thought to worry about it because he seems fine in every other way.

Ill get it looked at, though. Thanks Sooz
Vivi
Vivi
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 684
Registration date : 2009-06-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down