Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Just bought this for my bunny

5 posters

Go down

Just bought this for my bunny Empty Just bought this for my bunny

Post by Vince the bunny Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:34 pm

Hi

This is my first time posting and I'm looking for some advice on housing for my bunny. He is a rescue rabbit that was put up for rehoming because apparently he doesn't like other rabbits and was fighting with his brother. He is 3 months old. I've only kept rats before and am savvy on best accomodation for rats but would like some help for my bunny.
He is currently in a 4ft by 2ft by 2ft 2 storey hutch with an attached 4ft square run that is 2 ft high. I don't feel it is high enough for him and big enough for him as he is still to grow a bit more and he is fairly big already (he is a lop eared rabbit)
I' have just bought this http://www.petplanet.co.uk/product.asp?dept_id=811&pf_id=8197&source=webgains&siteid=57040
but now I am worried the sleeping area isn't big enough Hmmm
I have chosen a wire as opposed mesh hutch as we live on the back of the woods and we have a LOT of foxes about. Is it best to shut him in the secure area at night or would he die of fright if he saw a fox if he was in the run area? The hutch will be on the patio next to the patio doors.
Any helpful replies will be greatly appreciated Very Happy
Many thanks, Elaine
Vince the bunny
Vince the bunny
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2290
Registration date : 2010-08-09

Back to top Go down

Just bought this for my bunny Empty Re: Just bought this for my bunny

Post by SarahJane Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:43 pm

Welcome to the forum!
Those sorts of accomodation are a bit misleading because they look quite roomy and then like you say the sleeping area isnt very big.
do you get foxes in your area? We "dont" (aka ive never seen one and we have a scary dog) so mine are allowed out all night as they have a shed to run into.

How long ago did you buy it?Just now? the reason i ask is you have spent alot of money on something that isnt great, and i got a 6 x 4 shed for £100 at Focus and a big run for £50. so for £150 i have something huge, and alsoits easy to clean out. That sort of design could be a bit tricky. So if youve only just got it maybe you could cancel? You could get much much more for your money.

Also,if he is 3 months old that will be why he was fighting - hormones! He is too young to be neutured but once he is neutured he should accept a girlfriend Smile Hope thats helped a little bit at least! Happy Dance
SarahJane
SarahJane
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 6018
Registration date : 2008-07-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Vince the bunny Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:59 pm

Hi

I bought it this afternoon, I had looked at loads of different hutches but a lot of threm were really small or made of mesh and as we have a LOT of foxes around, I wouldn't sleep at night for worrying about him if he was in a mesh hutch. I don't have room for a shed and run set up although I can see this would be ideal.
As for a bunny friend, I had hoped to get him a buddy when he has been castrated and he is ok to pair with a neutered female. I don't wnat him to be lonely
Vince the bunny
Vince the bunny
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by SarahJane Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:03 pm

Ahh i see you prefer the black solid mesh! In all honesty, the wood in so many hutches is so soft, the mesh itself really wouldnt stop a fox as awful as that sounds.

If you dont have space for a hutch i doubt you would have space for this but i know someone who has the same hutch put it in an avairy set up as extra protection, bunny had hutch and avairy (could be as big as you could fit maybe?) in the day and at night was shut into the hutch, but still in the aviary for that extra bit of protection?

How much space do you have to work with?
Once he is castrated im sure he would accept a girlfriend. Once hes neutured if you let us know where u are im sure someone could recommend a bunny rescue to get a friend from Smile

Must be scary having all those foxes Sad
SarahJane
SarahJane
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 6018

Back to top Go down

Post by Vince the bunny Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:14 pm

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CORNER-LARGE-RABBIT-GUINEA-PIG-FERRET-HUTCH-RUN-NEW-/390219122059?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Small_Animals&hash=item5adadf458b

Do you think this would be better?
It's sooooo difficult finding the right housing Hmmm
I don't mind the foxes, we get badgers too!
Vince the bunny
Vince the bunny
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by NSD Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:17 pm

Hi there Wave

It is really difficult to get a proper bunny home. I gave up after a while and keep mine inside, but it seems to me that the "perfect" home can only be made by yourself - and I'm no handyman!

Re: this hutch, it seems very pretty. Whether it suits depends on how big your bunny is. It seems to be big enough for a small to medium bunny but I'm not good with dimensions.

You might want to consider reinforcing it with some metal and proper human- and animal-proof padlocks if badgers are strong.

Hopefully someone comes on that can help you out properly. Good luck!
NSD
NSD
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2212
Registration date : 2010-02-27

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:04 am

I have an indoor bunny so im rubbish with outdoor set ups.

I think the bun is very lucky to have an owner that cares about them so much.

They both seem to be nice big hutches to me.

K x
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Just bought this for my bunny Empty http://www.petsathome.com/shop/rose-cottage-hutch-for-rabbit

Post by Vince the bunny Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:58 am

Hi

I'm trying to cancel the hutch that I ordered as I went to PAH and have just bought this

http://www.petsathome.com/shop/rose-cottage-hutch-for-rabbits-and-guinea-pigs-by-pets-at-home-29286

All I need to do now is buy a 4ft square by 3ft high run that I will attach to it and then I feel I will be happy with Vince's set up plus I now think I will meet the requirements to get him a buddy when the time is right for him Very Happy

Have I made the right choice now???? I'm just about to construct it, wish me luck as I only have a 14mth old baby to help me Shocked
Vince the bunny
Vince the bunny
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:06 pm

I think it will be fab - especially once you have the run attached. He'll have plenty of room to move around at night and be safe, and they he'll have space in his run during the day.

I wish that more bunny owners cared as much about space as you do.

I bet Vince is going to love it!
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by coco Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:45 pm

Vince the bunny wrote:Hi

I'm trying to cancel the hutch that I ordered as I went to PAH and have just bought this

http://www.petsathome.com/shop/rose-cottage-hutch-for-rabbits-and-guinea-pigs-by-pets-at-home-29286

All I need to do now is buy a 4ft square by 3ft high run that I will attach to it and then I feel I will be happy with Vince's set up plus I now think I will meet the requirements to get him a buddy when the time is right for him Very Happy

Have I made the right choice now???? I'm just about to construct it, wish me luck as I only have a 14mth old baby to help me Shocked

That hutch is fab and is soooooooo much better quality than the old PAH range! How much did you pay for it, just out of curiosity? (I work for PAH). Its nice to see that work is finally stocking some good hutches!
coco
coco
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1758

Back to top Go down

Post by Vince the bunny Sun Aug 22, 2010 7:16 pm

Hi

I paid £169 for it, a lot really but it was important that he had enough space. I sold my motorbike and used the money from that to pay for it.
Vince the bunny
Vince the bunny
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down