Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

If there was one bit of care/welfare you could make law...

+4
Velvet.Tears
Vivi
ElleyMay
Jay
8 posters

Go down

If there was one bit of care/welfare you could make law... Empty If there was one bit of care/welfare you could make law...

Post by Jay Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:35 pm

...what would it be?

There's so much to choose from, I'm interested to see how different our priorities are...

I'd like to see compulsory vaccinations, provided there are no health implications to the bun.
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11365
Registration date : 2008-07-02

http://www.hoppingmad.org

Back to top Go down

If there was one bit of care/welfare you could make law... Empty Re: If there was one bit of care/welfare you could make law...

Post by ElleyMay Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:43 pm

Are you talking specifically animals/rabbits or general care/welfare of society?

(p.s. I'm teaching a politics class this semester and today we are investigating our personal values and social issues that matter to us on a personal level... I am so stealing this question Thumbs Up )
ElleyMay
ElleyMay
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1551
Registration date : 2009-06-18

Back to top Go down

If there was one bit of care/welfare you could make law... Empty Re: If there was one bit of care/welfare you could make law...

Post by Jay Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:44 pm

ElleyMay wrote:Are you talking specifically animals/rabbits or general care/welfare of society?

(p.s. I'm teaching a politics class this semester and today we are investigating our personal values and social issues that matter to us on a personal level... I am so stealing this question Thumbs Up )

To keep it simple, I guess we should stick to what we know, so let's go with buns albino If you want to do another thread to help with your politics class sometime, then that's kool, I'd be interested in it Smile
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by ElleyMay Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:47 pm

I think I'd want something about cage sizes.
ElleyMay
ElleyMay
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1551
Registration date : 2009-06-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Vivi Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:53 pm

I would possibly like to see buns go the way of cats & dogs - no longer sold in pet shops (Not sure if thats a law, or just not done anymore?)

But yes - if buns where available only from breeders/rescues, they might not be so easy to get a hold of for people who wouldn't look after them properly, or even know how to look after them properly.
Vivi
Vivi
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 684
Registration date : 2009-06-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Velvet.Tears Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:57 pm

I'd want it to be that if any harm ever came to an animal intentionally then it is an arrestable offence
Velvet.Tears
Velvet.Tears
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 5578
Registration date : 2010-08-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Shellypops Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:55 pm

Homechecks are to be carried out by all petstores and breeders, not sure how feasible that is, but it would certainly cut down on rabbits being kept in small hutches and fed the wrong diet
Shellypops
Shellypops
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 431
Registration date : 2010-04-25

Back to top Go down

Post by NSD Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:25 pm

Maybe compulsory spey and neuter? And you'd have to have a special licence in order to stop yours being speyed/neutered?

That would get the rabbit population under control - less abandoned bunnies being put to sleep - and eventually the rabbit population would be so small that there would be fierce competition to get the limited amount of pet rabbits, so people would improve the way they kept them.

Or maybe that wouldn't work out. If it doesn't, I would say everyone had to have a MASSIVE hutch for their rabbits
NSD
NSD
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2212
Registration date : 2010-02-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:49 pm

I don't think it matters how or whether something would work, it's interesting knowing what we think would really make a difference, and why Smile

Good suggestions so far, and they are all implementable. This is what i was hoping to see, as it highlights just how slack our laws are, and how lackadaisical our culture is, in this respect, too. Sad
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Shellypops Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:54 pm

Its most certainly is very sad that these beautiful creatures are not held in the high regard that they deserve, what is the difference Dog, Cat Human?? there is no difference they are all living things and should be treated with the utmost respect Smile
Shellypops
Shellypops
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 431
Registration date : 2010-04-25

Back to top Go down

Post by LilyGrace Fri Sep 10, 2010 4:02 pm

So many things to choose from! Cage sizes definately...the cages which are meant to be for rabbits are stupidly small...as soon as Luna started getting bigger I realised how tiny the one was I had for her...and invested in a dog crate meant for alsation sized dogs..
Also...I watch those programs about animal welfare associations..and there was this guy (well it was in australia but I've noticed they do the same here) he kept an appauling amount of rabbits (in disgusting conditions)..and he'd had loads seized before and been told to sort it out..and he didn't he reoffended. But they just took majority of the buns..and still left him with some..even though he'd just admitted to them he was keeping them to eat them O_o.
So I hate the fact that people who mistreat animals are either only banned from keeping them for say 100 days and given a fine...or helped to clean up when theyve bred them out of control but still left with a few. Obviously they are going to reoffend. No
LilyGrace
LilyGrace
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2274
Registration date : 2010-07-17

Back to top Go down

Post by NSD Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:19 am

Lilygrace - I think they are called hoarders? Although the keeping pets in order to eat them is horrific! I've never heard of someone keeping an animal as a pet and then feeling ok about killing it and eating it... urgh.

It is really difficult to choose.

NSD
NSD
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Velvet.Tears Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:35 am

I fear people will call me a hoarder as I have so many animals but i'm not I look after them all and love them all so much.
Velvet.Tears
Velvet.Tears
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by NSD Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:53 am

I think hoarders are people with too many animals who don't look after them properly.

You look after your animals perfectly well so if anyone accused you of being a hoarder, they'd have rocks in their head!
NSD
NSD
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Velvet.Tears Sat Sep 11, 2010 4:01 am

You should see their faces when I take their vegetables in particularly Hazel when she sees the broccoli
Velvet.Tears
Velvet.Tears
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Sat Sep 11, 2010 11:29 am

I would like to see breeders and petshop have to charge for vaccinations and a spay at the point of purchase so that the animals are neutered, or better still, not be allowed to sell animals until they are old enough to be neutered.
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Number of posts : 14530
Registration date : 2008-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by LilyGrace Sat Sep 11, 2010 11:57 am

NSD wrote:Lilygrace - I think they are called hoarders? Although the keeping pets in order to eat them is horrific! I've never heard of someone keeping an animal as a pet and then feeling ok about killing it and eating it... urgh.

It is really difficult to choose.

That's the one, I couldn't think of the word haha. Thanks Thumbs Up
LilyGrace
LilyGrace
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2274
Registration date : 2010-07-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Vivi Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:28 pm

Oooo I like NickieM's suggestion - I bet that would also seriously cut down on impulse buying of little baby rabbits, waiting 'till they're older... And ofcourse the pricetag.

Rabbits up here are £25 or so, £50-60 for a spey... £10 for jabs or so... That's quite a pricetag for an impulse
Vivi
Vivi
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 684
Registration date : 2009-06-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down