Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

one hutch or two for a new pair?

2 posters

Go down

one hutch or two for a new pair? Empty one hutch or two for a new pair?

Post by cph Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:37 am

He, we have a female neutered rabbit, just about to get a neutered male companion if the bonding process is successful

At the moment we have a double decker hutch inside a very large run. Our rabbit has about 12 hours free access to the large run and at night we close off the hutch door.The double decker hutch is about 4 and 1/2 feet long.

My question is, should also buy a hutch for the male rabbit so that if they want/need to they can sleep in different hutches at night? They would be able to associate in the large run all day long. And if they chose to they could sleep together in one of the two hutches. I am sure the other wouldn't be wasted in that scenario as they could use it to explore within the run. I've read that rabbits like to have their own space and sleeping area.

The alternative is to get rid of the one we already have and buy a 6 foot single storey hutch for both of them.

One aspect (not the most important) is funds. The cheaper option would be to buy the smaller hutch. The other will have no second hand value. But I more interested in , what would the rabbits prefer?

So the question is, one hutch or two?

Interested in all opinions.

kind regards to all

cph
New Hopper
New Hopper

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2010-07-21

Back to top Go down

one hutch or two for a new pair? Empty Re: one hutch or two for a new pair?

Post by KatieB Sun Sep 19, 2010 4:11 pm

Hi,

Welcome to HH

If the buns are bonded they would prefer to be together in the same hutch, and snuggle up together. Bonded buns dont really like to be apart.

Bonding can be a tricky business and sometimes a slow process so you may need for them to have separate areas at first while they are getting used to each other. Once the bond is sucessful they will want to be together all the time.

So the better option may be to get the second hutch and then when they are bonded they can sleep wherever they choose together.

Feel free to post any questions you may have, we are always happy to help.

Welcome once again!

Katie x
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by cph Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:42 pm

should have added, they will have been bonded before they come back to us, at a neutral venue

cph
New Hopper
New Hopper

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2010-07-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down