Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

help with some bunny basics

3 posters

Go down

help with some bunny basics Empty help with some bunny basics

Post by dalsicle Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:37 pm

I'm still getting used to life with Bob and I've been reading up on all her care needs but there are a few things I can't seem to get answers for.

Firstly, what is the best bedding to use both in the main hutch and in her bed area? Right now I'm lining the whole hutch with newspaper and using shredded cardboard throughout with lots of hay and shredded paper in her bed, is this ok?
I'm also thinking of putting a cardboard box in her bed to make it even more snug in these cold nights.

The second thing I can't find a proper answer for is what type of hay is best for her to eat? I've read that the stuff with alfalfa isn't great and I've seen meadow hay and timothy hay recommended but which is best? can I use a mix of both?

Lastly (for now anyway) I'm worried about her eating habits. When I picked her up I only had alfalfa hay which had been given to me and rabbit muesli which I use as a base for mixing my own rat food. She doesn't really eat the alfalfa hay so I just put it in as bedding and picked up some timothy hay which she loves and will eat all day long. For the first week she was fed on the muesli and ate it all up not a single scrap left over and still ate lots of hay.
I've now changed her to pellets and she's really not happy eating them, she's been on them for over a week and barely touches them, she felt like she was losing weight but now she's making up for it and eating more hay but still hates the pellets.
Everything I read is telling me the pellets are better for her because it stops selective feeding but I'm thinking if it gets her eating and she doesn't selective feed then the muesli should be fine, am I right?

Thanks in advance for any help Very Happy

dalsicle
New Hopper
New Hopper

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2010-10-15

Back to top Go down

help with some bunny basics Empty Re: help with some bunny basics

Post by LilyGrace Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:06 pm

Hey Smile...just wandering, did u gradually introduce her to the pellets? mixing it in with the muesli and slowly reducing the amount of that everyday so the ratio was more pellets to muesli?
If you changed them over suddenly..maybe she's found it hard to adjust to them
LilyGrace
LilyGrace
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2274
Registration date : 2010-07-17

Back to top Go down

Post by dalsicle Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:09 pm

I tried to change it over a week but everyday the muesli was eaten completely and the pellets were untouched so when I got to just pellets she wasn't used to them and decided that starving herself was better than eating them.

dalsicle
New Hopper
New Hopper

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2010-10-15

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:31 pm

If it were me Id be tempted to give her the muesli again just so you know she is eating and try mixing the pellets in again.

Ive tried getting my boy to switch to a different kind of pellets that are better for him and he's having none of it!!! Apparently he'd rather starve.

Some buns are fussy with the type of hay they eat. If you have found one she likes and is getting lots down her id stick with it.

Sounds like what you are doing for bedding is fine - keeping her nice and snug.

I got daisy a hutch snuggle (not that he is ever outide any more) but it was really good. You heat it up in the microwave and it comes with a fleece cover and it stays hot for hours.

K x
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down