Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2 Females living together? advice please

+2
Indie22
Toyah
6 posters

Go down

2 Females living together? advice please  Empty 2 Females living together? advice please

Post by Toyah Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:52 pm

Hi
i would like my 2 female rabbits (shay and bindi) to live together in a double hutch but everytime i try to introduce them bindi tries to attack shay
i have done it in the run seperating them between wire mesh and by putting one in a carrycase
am i doing this the right way?
thanks for any advice
Toyah

Toyah
New Hopper
New Hopper

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2010-11-22

Back to top Go down

2 Females living together? advice please  Empty Re: 2 Females living together? advice please

Post by Indie22 Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:58 pm

How long are you introducing them before hand. Rabbits need a long time to bond and its not usually easy. You certainly cant just put them together quick. Try on territory that neither of them have seen before, a dif run of bathroom etc and build up the time slowly. I tend to only finish on a good note. If they are getting on well for 10 mins I will call it quits. If they chase, I wont seperate till they turn away from each other unless things are serious. But it can take months to slowly build up.

Indie22
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 536
Registration date : 2010-03-08

http://www.eladonnsreptiles.com

Back to top Go down

2 Females living together? advice please  Empty Re: 2 Females living together? advice please

Post by KatieB Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:04 pm

Hi Toyah,

Trying then in Neutral territory is a great idea. A lot of people do use the bathroom.

Another trick is to pop them both into the same carry box and take them for a little car ride. Sometimes they find comfort in each other when they are feeling uneasy.

There are lots of hoppers with loads of experience who can help you, and someone will be along soon.
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Becki Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:50 pm

Yep, neutral territory is an absolute must. Please be extra careful with two girls, they can cause real damage & are incredibly hard to bond. Take it from someone who knows No Laughing
Becki
Becki
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2083
Registration date : 2008-07-01

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:33 am

I think that two girls can be very difficult to bond. I have just bonded two boys and that hasn't been as straightforward as a male/female bond, but is working.

I put mine into the bathroom in the early evening and just stayed in there with them. (KatieB kept me company on FB!) If things are going well and there isn't any aggression, you can leave them overnight and see how things are in the morning - although some people do it somewhere where they can sleep too just to be on the safe side.

Mine were fine overnight and after another six hours together, went outside to their run. If the new rabbit is going into the other rabbit's hutch, you might need to clean it thoroughly beforehand to remove scent marking. You can do this by washing it over with a solution made with 1 part of biological washing powder (must be bio) in 9 parts of water. Afterwards wipe over with surgical spirit. That neutralises the smell.

Good luck.
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Number of posts : 14530
Registration date : 2008-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Catsknickers Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:29 am

I have rarely managed a female to female bond, I really hope it works for you. Damn stroppy women! Laughing
Catsknickers
Catsknickers
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 12740
Registration date : 2008-06-22

http://www.rspca-lincoln.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down