Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

At what age would you class a rabbit to be middle aged?

+2
Snowy
SarahJane
6 posters

Go down

At what age would you class a rabbit to be middle aged? Empty At what age would you class a rabbit to be middle aged?

Post by SarahJane Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:55 pm

Im not sure on this one? Because have such varied ages, what age would you class middle age to begin?

Domino will be 4 in April
Pebbles 4 at a similar time, she could be four already
Jelly will be 5 in June /ish

Would you say my bunnies were middle aged, or not yet?
SarahJane
SarahJane
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 6018
Registration date : 2008-07-01

Back to top Go down

At what age would you class a rabbit to be middle aged? Empty Re: At what age would you class a rabbit to be middle aged?

Post by Snowy Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:39 pm

It depends on breed, but for a normal 2 kg bunny I would 4-5 years old, for a Neddie I would say 5-6 years old and for a Conti I would say 3 years old
Snowy
Snowy
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 6022
Registration date : 2008-07-06

Back to top Go down

At what age would you class a rabbit to be middle aged? Empty Re: At what age would you class a rabbit to be middle aged?

Post by SarahJane Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:05 pm

That's about what I estimated. I wondered if the mature excel feed is an option worth considering?
SarahJane
SarahJane
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Snowy Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:28 pm

Hmmmmm don't know because I wouldn't feed Excel to a rabbit, I always use SS or A&P
Snowy
Snowy
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 6022
Registration date : 2008-07-06

Back to top Go down

Post by SarahJane Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:19 pm

I would prefer to feed mine SS but my mum refuses because I told her about a bunny who choked on one, and she just wont now, if boarders bring them she breaks the pellets up into little bits, and i said we could just do that for ours but she wont! - And she says she doesnt love them! ROFL She is daft my mum.

It says "Burgess Excel Cranberry and Ginseng Rabbit Food is a delicious, complementary food with special ingredients to deal with some of the problems that age brings, such as joint stiffness, a lack of energy and the need to keep weight under control."

I guess Im just looking at it because Domino has got so fat and lazy and Jelly is getting the same way. I used to feed it to Peanut because of the supposed joint benefits, but ive just been thinking is it worth it, or is just a pointless thing?!

I do everything to get them active but they wont!
SarahJane
SarahJane
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Catsknickers Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:47 pm

Hmm tough one, I have Lily (6) and Sandy(7), Bella is coming 2.5, Ratty is coming 4, Easter 2 and Chancey 11 - 12. I always thought 5 was getting on.
Catsknickers
Catsknickers
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 12740
Registration date : 2008-06-22

http://www.rspca-lincoln.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:50 pm

I reckon that Wolfie was born in December 2006 so think he is just 4 and Felix who could be any age as he was a stray but an adult when I got him 2 years ago.

I think 5 would be considered middle-aged for most buns.
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Number of posts : 14530
Registration date : 2008-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Happy Hoppers Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:29 pm

I would say 4ish and I started putting my bunnies on a higher protein pellet in the winter when they were around 3-4 years old.
Happy Hoppers
Happy Hoppers
Admin

Number of posts : 6477
Registration date : 2008-06-14

http://happyhoppers.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by FudgesMummy Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:38 pm

I spoke to Jim/Matt about the cranberry excel one for Fudge-although he isn't 4yet given he has consistent urinary tract issues the vet felt that given it wasn't too high in calcium that the cranberry could only be beneficial...although only 3.5years old Fudge already has cataracts and bladder stones....so we've switched...he only gets a small amount daily but wolfs them down!
FudgesMummy
FudgesMummy
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1577
Registration date : 2008-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post by SarahJane Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:59 pm

I might trial them and see if it does help with their weight etc Domino is yo yo ing weight like mad, as soon as he has runs around on the grass most days and its good weather and he plays outside, hes fine, then a few weeks of laying about and hes a right fatty again.

Im just worried about him slowly getting fatter and fatter Sad most bunnies would love his mansion but he just doesnt care!
SarahJane
SarahJane
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down