Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Need to rehome...

+10
KatieB
Lottie
Jay
Snowy
becky
Velvet.Tears
Catsknickers
NickieM
Josephine
lexybee91
14 posters

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Need to rehome... Empty Need to rehome...

Post by lexybee91 Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:30 pm

I rescued three bunnies off a lady who was going to kill them. After alot of thought and advice from various people I think it would be better for them in the long run to be rehomed.

can anyone help me?
lexybee91
lexybee91
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 442
Registration date : 2010-11-24

Back to top Go down

Need to rehome... Empty Re: Need to rehome...

Post by Josephine Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:33 pm

Oh I have just posted on your other thread. Sorry I cannot help,
but you have probably made the right decision.
Good luck with finding homes or a rescue for them. x
Hugs
Josephine
Josephine
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 3380
Registration date : 2008-07-23

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:39 pm

I believe you have recently contacted the RSPCA about fostering, why not contact them and let them know you have rescued these rabbits and ask if they will take them.
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Number of posts : 14530
Registration date : 2008-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Catsknickers Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:45 pm

NickieM wrote:I believe you have recently contacted the RSPCA about fostering, why not contact them and let them know you have rescued these rabbits and ask if they will take them.

Yeah I think this would be the best course of action.
Catsknickers
Catsknickers
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 12740
Registration date : 2008-06-22

http://www.rspca-lincoln.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by lexybee91 Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:47 pm

I have done so they are going to get back to me tomorrow.

I feel awful.
lexybee91
lexybee91
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by lexybee91 Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:54 pm

this is Hazel Very Happy xxNeed to rehome... 164715_1829978795946_1434651159_2013337_1237166_n
lexybee91
lexybee91
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Velvet.Tears Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:25 pm

She looks like my hazel Love
Velvet.Tears
Velvet.Tears
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 5578
Registration date : 2010-08-20

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:49 pm

I believe the rehoming is off again.
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by becky Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:24 pm

NickieM wrote:I believe you have recently contacted the RSPCA about fostering, why not contact them and let them know you have rescued these rabbits and ask if they will take them.

This is probably the best way to go Very Happy If your not familiar with finding a new home its best to try and do it through a rescue I think, they will know how best to find a good home and will know what to look for with homechecking and stuff

becky
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2714
Registration date : 2008-07-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Snowy Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:26 am

Hi, I am totally and utterly confused so perhaps you could help me out and explain what the problem is, I have read this thread and the other thread of yours called 'worried' and I can't get my head round what is happening, as I understand it...

1. You have two rabbits of your own, a male and a female and neither of them are neutered?
2. You have rescued 3 single female rabbits none of them neutered?
3. You have now bonded the 3 single female rabbits that aren't neutered?
4. You have bonded that groupe of three rabbits that aren't neutered to your original rabbit that also isn't neutered?
5. But you are now going to rehome the three rabbits, so you will be taking them away from your rabbit?
6. Are you keeping them or are you rehoming them?
7. You are also going to foster for the RSPCA?

Sorry for all the questions but I really am confused
Snowy
Snowy
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 6022
Registration date : 2008-07-06

Back to top Go down

Post by lexybee91 Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:43 am

right.

1)yes
2)yes
3)yes
4)not anymore
5)not anymore
6)keeping them
7)was planning to before rehomed these

It's a confusing situation. Smile x
lexybee91
lexybee91
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:22 pm

It only seems confusing because you have made it confusing, but actually it's quite simple.

*You have gained, from I don't know where, 4 rabbits in the past week.
*You have one bun already who has respiratory condition that you cannot afford to treat.
*You cannot afford vaccs or neuterings for any of your rabbits.
*Despite asking for advice from 2 forums, and plenty of help via PM, you seem to think you are both able and financially sound to look after these rabbits, although by your own admission you can't afford the £60 to have Isobelle speyed.
*You have had one rabbit for 2 months, prior to this week.
*The first thing you did was put cat collars on these rabbits and endangered their lives by doing so - what next?

I have and I'm sure other people have given you a lot of time and help which you have chosen to completely disregard. I care, as I'm sure many people here care about the welfare of these animals, but cannot get through to you that you are not experienced enough or qualified to look after these rabbits properly, meet their health needs, afford veterinary treatment, or even know what to feed them.
You had 2, start simple, get to learn about the animals, get Isobelle sorted out at the vets, get them both neutered, but please, please, re-home these new ones.
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11365
Registration date : 2008-07-02

http://www.hoppingmad.org

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:35 pm

If you want something to cuddle at night, go out and buy some cuddly toys. At least you can't kill them.

You are the most obstinate and scary person in charge of animals that I have ever come across. You want to perpetuate this image as someone who cares and loves animals, but you are willing to endanger their lives by not caring for them properly. You only want animals to fit in on the forums and gain some respect. Believe me, you have gained absolutely NO respect this week.

Rehome the rabbits before you kill them.
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by lexybee91 Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:41 pm

Please don't speak to me you know nothing about me.
lexybee91
lexybee91
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:00 pm

You have exhausted our collective patience. We and others have tried to get you to see that you are not ready for the amount of rabbits that you want. You are using them as a psychological prop and that isn't right.

I hate being this direct to someone and hurting their feelings, but nothing we have said has made any impact on you. You seem oblivious to how much you are taking on.
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by lexybee91 Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:05 pm

i'm not oblivious I know it's going to be a lot of hard work and I am listening and taking onboard that. But I am capable of doing this. I know you don't beleive me and you are allowed your own opinion obviously. I am not using them as psychological anything... I saw animals in a bad place and I am trying to do what is best for them. They're very happy here, and are moving around...they have ahuge amount of space, more than the minimum requirements. They get hay three times a day, a small bowl full of pellets between the as they are endangering their health by being so large.

They always have fresh water, the heating is turned down in the living room so they don't over heat.

They get fresh veg every day.

Jack is getting neutred on the 1st of febuary. then he's going to be bonded with isobelle. They're all getting their jabs tomorrow. And the one bunnyis going to be spayed each month.

i'm really sorry that your opinion of me is so low but I do not merit any of those terms, and really you don't know me/my financial situation or the situation in my head.

My family are paying for all of these things
lexybee91
lexybee91
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:15 pm

My opinion of you is low, not because I don't think you are a caring person, but because you care without being realistic. Just caring isn't enough. You have to be able to be responsible for the animals as well as wanting to home them.

In all truth, I think these animals will be endangered by being kept by you. I do not think you have the necessary knowledge to care for so many and I really do not think you fully understand how expensive having so many pets is. You will discover this by something going wrong, but unfortunately, it will be the rabbits that will bear the brunt of that ignorance, not you. You will be able to console yourself by replacing the deceased rabbit, but it shouldn't happen in the first place.

I am pleased that you are getting them treated and neutered, but really is it feasible that you family has to pick up the tab for something that you want. You are a married woman for goodness sake. You have to learn to stand on your own feet.

In a perfect world, you would rehome these three rabbits and concentrate on Isabelle and Jack. You would see how you managed with them, and then and only then, decide whether other rabbits were appropriate.

But I know you will put your own wishes first.
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by lexybee91 Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:19 pm

NickieM who will rehome them? They will stay in a rescue for how long?

The fact that you think you can "replace" an animal I find difficult to understand, I don't think you can ever replace an animal.

Rescue's are fantastic places but I feel like I would be passing monkeys!
lexybee91
lexybee91
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Lottie Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:21 pm

If you can afford to get them all neutered and afford medical care, that's great.
Keep in mind that if those buns have been in bad conditions, they probably will have health issues. Can you afford care for 5 rabbits that might have health issues?
With my boy Kenzo, we spent about 800euros in a month on medical care.
To give you an idea of the prices incase one of your buns gets badly sick...
You know, if you decide to rehome them, they will probably get more attention and love.
Do you have the time to give the attention they need to 5 bunnies?
If you don't want to re-home them via the RSPCA, maybe you could pick the houses where they are going to yourself to make sure they are good homes?
If you really, REALLY want to keep them, although I think it's a bad idea, please make sure you know what you're doing. And please do alot of research on rabbits, they are more complex than you may think.
You know, Kenzo & Chewy are my first buns, I had Kenzo for 2 years since he was put down last year, and I've had Chewy for 3 years (thank god he's fine) and I still feel like a rabbit-newbie, even though I've done vet-tech studies for cats & dogs and have basic medical and care knowledge. There's just so much to know, rabbits are very special animals. I always ask the smallest doupt on the forum, even if it seems like a dumb question.
If you're gonna keep them, please make sure to stay in close contact with a good forum and ask for help each time you have a small doupt.

Last edited by Lottie on Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lottie
Lottie
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 669
Registration date : 2010-01-05

http://www.flickr.com/photos/milkyfactory/

Back to top Go down

Post by lexybee91 Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:24 pm

I'm so sorry about your buns lovely!

I want to do whats best for them. I have lots and lots of time and effort to put into researching and getting these bunnies back into a state where they can be happy and run about pleased with their life.

There are no stupid questions:) That's what Jay told me.

I will always ask for advice, but I think sometimes you have to do what feels right to you. This feels right to me.

I will take good care of them.

lexybee91
lexybee91
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:26 pm

lexybee91 wrote:NickieM who will rehome them? They will stay in a rescue for how long?

The fact that you think you can "replace" an animal I find difficult to understand, I don't think you can ever replace an animal.

Rescue's are fantastic places but I feel like I would be passing monkeys!

It is better for the three girls that they go to a rescue who will put them up for rehoming. I applaud your concern for the capacity of the rescue, but you run the risk of doing more harm to these animals through unintentional neglect. Which rescue is near to you?

I know that you wanted to open a sanctuary in the future, but you are just not ready for that kind of commitment. I also know that you have said that you would like to foster animals for the RSPCA and some of the rescues that you had connection with on another forum. I know that you mean well and just want to help, but you are not helping by getting out of your depth.

Isabelle has breathing problems. The illness may be snuffles which is a virulent illness amongst rabbits. You may end up with five rabbits, all with chronic respiratory illness and who all require regular veterinary care. You obviously haven't thought of that. Also, you NEVER mix rabbits from an unknown home with your existing rabbits until you have quarantined them in case they come with an illness like EC or Pasturella - which I am sure you don't even know about.

I am begging you to rehome these rabbits. We are happy to help you gain the knowledge that you need to give Isabelle and Jack a good home, but we just cannot accept that you should rehome these girls too.

NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by lexybee91 Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:29 pm

I took isobelle to the vets and they said she couldn't be curedand that it was chronic?

I don't know what those things are,you're right.

You really really really think I should, baring in mind that it might end up with me not being able to care for any of my animals?
lexybee91
lexybee91
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:30 pm

LexyBee,

I really hope that all of these things are true as buns are the most vunerable little creatures.

No one here is trying to be nasty to you. We are all just really really worried about the buns.

On this site we always try to support and help, its only when we feel our help is in vain, we are not getting the whole story or we feel that the appropriate care is not given that we start to worry about the animals - and yes, start to get cross.

When people are completely honest with us we support them wholeheartedly, and I know that the advice I have been given here has been invaluable. If it was felt that I wasnt putting my animals first then I would expect them to tell me the harsh truth too, this forum would lose all respect and its purpose in being if it didnt.

Your fibs about where these buns have come from only makes people suspicious, and worry more.

I think you shocked a lot of people with the collars, they are so dangerous, please take them off.

Five buns are sooooo hard to take care of.....even the most experienced, financially bouyant bunny mum would struggle.

I understand that you may have fallen for these creatures already, its easy to do, but sometimes we have to think about what is best for them, and as hard as it is really put them first.

I think that Isobelle and Jack would be really happy together too, if it was just the two of them - think of all the extra love they will get when its not split 5 ways.

If you hand them over to a proper rescue you will show everyone what a responsible bunny mum you are and how, although it was a really hard thing to so, you put the buns first.

Katie

KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by LilyGrace Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:32 pm

I agree...I only have two and I find them a hand full at times...I can afford to look after them, but if other people are paying for the care of your animals what happens if they decide they don't want to anymore? Obviously you are right we don't know your financial situation, but I'm going by what you have told us.
Also you said you have ten guinea pigs? So you need to afford treatment for them too...and you recently had one put down which cost you a lot of money..I just don't understand why you would put more strain on yourself....I knew barely anything about Luna when I had had her for two months and like Lottie I'm still learning tonnes of stuff now about them...I think we've all wished and considered rehoming animals in need, but you have to be practical too.

Also, it would probably be easier to wait to bond isobelle with jack after she is spayed as whole females can be very tempermental, from how you've described her before when you said she has her ears back a lot it sounds like she is a bit feisty, nothing wrong with that...but she could become aggressive quite easily towards another bun. It is hard to judge their behaviour a lot of the time as I have learnt from Luna and Thistle.
LilyGrace
LilyGrace
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2274
Registration date : 2010-07-17

Back to top Go down

Post by lexybee91 Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:36 pm

okay the truth?

The bunnies were on freecycle the lady said she "didn't want them anymore and they would go in to the pot!" I saw the add and discussed it with my husband. He agree'd.

I phoned her, she bought them here in the obesce state they are in, she didn't give me any idea of what she had done only that she was keeping four of the others. (god knows what for).

I was intending to bond them with isobelle, when they had settled in the living room, but isobelle being the little terror she is got into the living room. she was playing with them so i didn't think there was a problem as my concern was that they would fight.

Then I said to my husband, so when shall i book the vaccines and checks for? HE went MAD...shouting and screaming at me, it hadn't even crossed his mind :/ So that was when we were going to foster them untiill I could find homes for them.

But, then they seemmed so happy here....and I really do love animals and care about them. and I thought if I was a bunny i would be upset and feel like no one loved me.

So I decided to keep them, but then last night I got really upset because of the things peoplep were saying to me Which I do genuinly understand is only for the care andwelfare of the bunnies.

But it's only made me more determined to keep them safe and prove everyone wrong.

I really want to do whats best for them, but I feel like now if I give htem up i'm proving you right. ...
lexybee91
lexybee91
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next