Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bedding

5 posters

Go down

Bedding Empty Bedding

Post by alicia Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:29 pm

Just me again, asking more questions Laughing Eventually I'd quite like my rabbit to litter train my rabbit, and use fleece as a bedding, but as the rabbit won't be litter trained when I first get him, should I use another bedding? I don't know if fleece is really very absorbant and I need quite an absorbant bedding at least to use for the first few weeks whilst I'm trying to litter train him. He has to live outside, and I don't want him sitting on wet bedding. What would you suggest? Also do you think I have the essentials for the rabbit:
Rabbit Food
Rabbit Bowl x 2 (one for vegetables and one for pellets)
Hay Rack (although the hay will be put in the hutch as well for warmth)
Rabbit Food
Money for Vaccinations (which he will get asap)
Money for neutering
Rabbit Bed (I've got a plastic dog bed, which I heard some rabbits like?)
Water Bottle
Vegetables
Bedding
Hutch
Run
alicia
alicia
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 207
Registration date : 2010-05-22

http://www.theguineapighutch.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Bedding Empty Re: Bedding

Post by lexybee91 Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:45 pm

alicia wrote:Just me again, asking more questions Laughing Eventually I'd quite like my rabbit to litter train my rabbit, and use fleece as a bedding, but as the rabbit won't be litter trained when I first get him, should I use another bedding? I don't know if fleece is really very absorbant and I need quite an absorbant bedding at least to use for the first few weeks whilst I'm trying to litter train him. He has to live outside, and I don't want him sitting on wet bedding. What would you suggest? Also do you think I have the essentials for the rabbit:
Rabbit Food
Rabbit Bowl x 2 (one for vegetables and one for pellets)
Hay Rack (although the hay will be put in the hutch as well for warmth)
Rabbit Food
Money for Vaccinations (which he will get asap)
Money for neutering
Rabbit Bed (I've got a plastic dog bed, which I heard some rabbits like?)
Water Bottle
Vegetables
Bedding
Hutch
Run

Firstly, I was advised that most rabbits will nom on fleece, so it could be bad for them.

Fleece is a "wicked" material, this means that a) you will have to wash it a couple of times for it to become absorbent.
b) You have to have something to soak up the moister undearneath; towles newspaper sawdust. So the surface of the fleece will remain dry and the towels willsoak it up.

I would suggest, hay and newspaper is probably the best bedding in my opinon as it will encourage him to each lots of hay.

I was also adviced that some buns, like to poop and eat hay at the same time, so pop some hay in there too Smile

i think you pretty much have the essentials, except if you want to litter train, a paper based,non clumping litter as some buns like to eat it, and other sorts could be dangerous. Also watch your buns progress as my friend has to clean hers out every other day, not because her bun uses it that much but because the bun uses it then digs and it goes everywhere.

I think that's all correct, though I'm more than happy to be corrected Smile

Love lexy xox
lexybee91
lexybee91
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 442
Registration date : 2010-11-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Lottie Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:02 pm

Fleece really isn't a good idea. It's hell to clean, doesn't absorb well and will be destroyed in 10 seconds by your bunny.
You could use newspaper, just make sure the ink is made from soy and not from petrol., which could be toxic to your bun if he/she ate it.
Another good alternative is a bedding called "carefresh" which is pretty much odorless, or recycled paper based cat litter (NOT clay litter).
You can also use wood based bedding, such as aspen, just make sure not to use pine or cedar, because they can cause respiratory issues.
Stay away from anything dusty too.
Putting a bit of hay in the litterbox and putting the hay rack above it will motivate your bun to stay in it's litterbox more.
Lottie
Lottie
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 669
Registration date : 2010-01-05

http://www.flickr.com/photos/milkyfactory/

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:47 pm

I put old newspaper down in the hutch (I have a look through for any politicians who I particularly dislike and keep them for the litter tray! :lol). I then put a layer of hay down in winter and in summer, I just use the paper so it is cooler.

I have two cat litter trays that are lined with newspaper and more hay. They like to sit in their toilet and eat the hay. They tend to pee at the edge of the tray so eat the hay from the front.

Mine don't have a bowl as I scatter the pellets into the hutch. If there is hay down, they have to hunt for them so it keeps them busy. Same thing with their veg.

I would suggest having two water bottles, so in cold weather you can swop them about.

Sounds like you are ready for the buns to arrive. Bet you can't wait. Neither can we. Thumbs Up
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Number of posts : 14530
Registration date : 2008-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by LilyGrace Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:03 pm

I use old news paper too, generally I've found if I put down anything"cozy" for them to sleep on, they move it out the way and sleep on the bare floor Laughing
LilyGrace
LilyGrace
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2274
Registration date : 2010-07-17

Back to top Go down

Post by alicia Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:54 pm

Thank you Smile I think I might try carefresh, and if that doesn't work, newspaper and hay.
I really am so excited! I've been asking for a rabbit since December 2009, but Mum always said no, until Christmas 2010 when we were looking after 2 netherland dwarfs, and they were so nice and my Mum really liked them and she's changed her mind on rabbits. She didn't want me to have one because she used to have 2 that bit everyone (but they weren't neutered so that was probably why)
alicia
alicia
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by lexybee91 Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:55 pm

Very Happy yay Very Happy xx
lexybee91
lexybee91
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 442
Registration date : 2010-11-24

Back to top Go down

Post by LilyGrace Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:18 pm

alicia wrote:Thank you Smile I think I might try carefresh, and if that doesn't work, newspaper and hay.
I really am so excited! I've been asking for a rabbit since December 2009, but Mum always said no, until Christmas 2010 when we were looking after 2 netherland dwarfs, and they were so nice and my Mum really liked them and she's changed her mind on rabbits. She didn't want me to have one because she used to have 2 that bit everyone (but they weren't neutered so that was probably why)

I think after all your posting and questions we're all really excited for you! I know I can't wait to hear all about them when you get them and see photos Smile Happy Dance
LilyGrace
LilyGrace
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by alicia Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:32 pm

Sorry about asking so much Smile I know someone on this forum said it was ok to ask questions but I think I probably ask too many Laughing I have a time ticker on my computer but it won't let me put it in my signature on here, but I am getting my rabbit in 1 month and 3 weeks Very Happy
alicia
alicia
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by LilyGrace Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:01 pm

Nooo, you don't ask too much! Better to learn a lot before you get them, than get them and wander what the hell you need to do Razz heh.
Ahh excitings!
LilyGrace
LilyGrace
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down