Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Foxes and Badgers

5 posters

Go down

Foxes and Badgers Empty Foxes and Badgers

Post by Ruffin Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:43 pm

[b] Whilst I am sure a fox will try and get to the bunns outside are badgers a risk I know they can carry TB etc. I have seen quite a few badgers crossing our garden and I dont want to put the bunns at risk Smile
Ruffin
Ruffin
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1122
Registration date : 2010-09-19

Back to top Go down

Foxes and Badgers Empty Re: Foxes and Badgers

Post by Jay Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:27 pm

I've never heard of TB in buns, but I found this, and this and some data here. On that site it also says
Tuberculosis is a rare disease in rabbits. However, in the early 1900s there were a large number of reports of tuberculosis in rabbits and it is thought that this may have be due to the common practice of feeding cow's milk to rabbits to promote growth. This practice has since been discontinued and along with control programs for bovine tuberculosis, is likely to have contributed to the decline in the prevalance of this disease in rabbits. (B614.8.w8)

There is a lot of unproved information about Badgers infecting other animlas. Tests are still current to get a definitive answer. There's some info on all that here.

Do you watch the badgers? Beautiful animals, we have a set not too far away and in mid summer, we watch then feeding at dusk, it's lovely, but they smell quite bad Embarassed
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11365
Registration date : 2008-07-02

http://www.hoppingmad.org

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:45 pm

I wouldn't worry too much about badgers. If they were that plague-ridden half the country would be riddled with TB. I would be much more concerned about foxes.
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Number of posts : 14530
Registration date : 2008-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:03 pm

Id be more worried about the foxes.

Id love to see badgers in my garden.....beautiful creatures.
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by KathyT Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:49 pm

I would worry about the badgers, but not because of TB. Even with cattle they seem to have to have fairly prolonged contact with them to transmit it. I won't be popular with the NFU for saying this, but store your feed correctly and mange your fields better and you're less likely to have problems with bovine TB <gets off soap box>

No, the reason that I'd worry about badgers is they can actually be vicious b****rs when they're hungry. We have lost chickens and even geese to them. They'd have trouble catching a wild rabbit so I doubt they form much of their diet but if they had chance to get one in a hutch I've no doubt they would.

I have two techniques for discouraging them from going near my hutch and chickens now. One is called silent roar - it's a fertiliser made out of lion poo, which discourages cats, deer, foxes, badgers and pretty much anything else, but is good for your garden. The other is a watering can by my back door that I periodically request the male members of my household to, erm, fill. I then sprinkle that around the hutches. Gross, but cheap and VERY effective.

Oh, and saves water too, because they don't have to use the loo.
KathyT
KathyT
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2743
Registration date : 2008-07-01

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:02 pm

I am rolling around on the floor at the thought of all the male residents of your family dutifully peeing in a watering can so your buns and chickens will be safe. That is so funny. ROFL ROFL

*oh, a little wee came out! Where's a watering can when you need one!*
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Number of posts : 14530
Registration date : 2008-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by KathyT Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:04 pm

It's the blue one shaped like a duck by the door! ROFL
KathyT
KathyT