Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Drastic but successful measures

+6
KatieB
ElleyMay
LilyGrace
Yodaphine
Happy Hoppers
Jay
10 posters

Go down

Drastic but successful measures Empty Drastic but successful measures

Post by Jay Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:16 am

Was wondering if any of you had had to do something you'd really consider a last resort.

Stewie should actually be called 'Chewie' Laughing Unfortunately he keeps going for Paul's prized 1970's Harbeth speakers...not good, he's only managed a couple of scrathes so far, but any more damage and I'm gonna have a very unhappy man on my hands. The carpet is starting to look like it's an used minefiled and the doors have nice smooth edges now ...

It was really easy to teach Bertie 'NO', but this one doesn't give a stuff whethjer you clap loudly, ring bells at him, push his head down or get out the trumpet and blast him ( no I haven't tried that one!)

So we resorted to a water bottle spray - HALLELUJAH! Whenever he goes near anything he's not meant to, if if he looks like he's about to go for the carpet etc, he gets a short shapr spray (away from his ears) and it's working cheers

As soon as he sees the bottle being picked up, he backs off .. soo happy, but don't like doing it really, it's a bit mean, but he's gotta learn, and he is so hardcore it's not easy Laughing
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11365
Registration date : 2008-07-02

http://www.hoppingmad.org

Back to top Go down

Drastic but successful measures Empty Re: Drastic but successful measures

Post by Happy Hoppers Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:32 am

I was just about to suggest the water spray. We are having to use it with the cats at the moment because they have really started to act up due to all the changes in the house the last couple of weeks.

It won't hurt him and he won't associate it directly with you, just with his actions.....win win!
Happy Hoppers
Happy Hoppers
Admin

Number of posts : 6477
Registration date : 2008-06-14

http://happyhoppers.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Yodaphine Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:37 am

LOL! Love it, not had to go quite that far yet, but I have found Roo, has a thing for our wharfedale tannoys, so I resorted to a rat training trick ...double sided sticky tape, now she just sniffs em and runs away! 'NO' works with most stuff, but the speakers, she is determined to wreck! Laughing

Yodaphine
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 472
Registration date : 2011-01-04

Back to top Go down

Post by LilyGrace Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:47 am

Oooh I might have to try that, once Luna or Thistle get going with something they don't care what you do. She particularly loves the carpet in the bathroom and I have tried flicking water at her before but she didn't care, maybe a water bottle would be better Thumbs Up
LilyGrace
LilyGrace
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2274
Registration date : 2010-07-17

Back to top Go down

Post by ElleyMay Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:01 pm

Jay, I tried the water bottle on Hippo and he doesn't even notice it. I do use it to keep Tori off the counters Laughing

Really glad it's working for you!

Have you tried saying the word 'NO' along with spraying the water? Sort of reverse clicker training...?
ElleyMay
ElleyMay
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1551
Registration date : 2009-06-18

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:20 pm

You wont outwit him you know.....Im expecting your next report to say.....

"and I went to spray him and he was wearing a raincoat, wellies and had an umbrella!" ha ha ha

I havent yet resorted to this with Daisy, but if he starts on my rug again - im def giving it a go!
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:49 pm

haha, yup the buny sou wester is on order form Rabbazon Laughing

Lynds, he gets a no, then a spray if he don't respond, that way I'm hoping the NO will everntually do the trick, but actually what you said makes more sense Thumbs Up
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11365
Registration date : 2008-07-02

http://www.hoppingmad.org

Back to top Go down

Post by AprilGirl Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:12 pm

Glad it's working, do you think it'll work with my children? Wink
He'll get the message soon I'm sure, do you think these rabbits have selective hearing they never miss the food bowl being put down or the rustle of the hay do they?
x
AprilGirl
AprilGirl
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 511
Registration date : 2009-06-05

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:27 pm

Will it work with kids! Laughing Laughing Laughing .......... No, they like being wet .... and dirty.
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Number of posts : 14530
Registration date : 2008-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Catsknickers Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:53 pm

Katieb wrote:You wont outwit him you know.....Im expecting your next report to say.....

"and I went to spray him and he was wearing a raincoat, wellies and had an umbrella!" ha ha ha

I havent yet resorted to this with Daisy, but if he starts on my rug again - im def giving it a go!

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
Catsknickers
Catsknickers
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 12740
Registration date : 2008-06-22

http://www.rspca-lincoln.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by KathyT Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:56 pm

I've used a super-soaker on my cats before now (seriously, I know it sounds mean, but nothing else gives me the range from the kitchen window to the bird table). I don't reckon they're quiet bright enough to work out the connection between birdtable=no=wet, at least they haven't so far, but we have noticed that sometimes if you make a noise like squirting water they'll think twice. Sort of a "psst" noise.
KathyT
KathyT
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2743
Registration date : 2008-07-01

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:00 pm

KathyT wrote:I've used a super-soaker on my cats before now (seriously, I know it sounds mean, but nothing else gives me the range from the kitchen window to the bird table). I don't reckon they're quiet bright enough to work out the connection between birdtable=no=wet, at least they haven't so far, but we have noticed that sometimes if you make a noise like squirting water they'll think twice. Sort of a "psst" noise.

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:20 pm

God I got an amazing visual!!! I could see a cat on a bird table suddenly exploding across the garden in a massive burst of water!!! Laughing Laughing
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Number of posts : 14530
Registration date : 2008-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by KathyT Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:00 pm

One day I'll try and capture it on video, it is quite a sight. My FIL caught one mid-pounce once Laughing
KathyT
KathyT
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2743
Registration date : 2008-07-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down