Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Young rabbit or adult rabbit?

+3
KatieB
Jay
alicia
7 posters

Go down

Young rabbit or adult rabbit? Empty Young rabbit or adult rabbit?

Post by alicia Sun Feb 06, 2011 3:04 pm

I don't really know what age rabbit would be good for a first-time owner. I was hoping to rescue a pair of 6 month old rabbits but as I said in the other thread I can't get them so it looks like I'll be looking for people that want to rehome their rabbits. I've been looking for a little while (I know I've got 2 months to wait until I can get my rabbit but I still like looking Laughing ) and I've noticed there are a lot of babies (about 2/3 months old) being advertised for sale, and a few adults. Which do you think would be better for a first-time owner? I was thinking of getting an adult rabbit but I would need to get him neutered anyway, whether I got an adult or baby rabbit. I do think the babies are very cute, but I know a lot of babies get rehomed more quickly than the adults, but then I don't know if an adult rabbit would be quite set in his ways, and if he was a bit aggressive I wouldn't want him to stay aggressive, but then if I got a baby and went wrong somewhere and he became aggressive then it would be all my fault. Sorry for a rambling thread and more questions Laughing What do you think? Adult or baby rabbit?
alicia
alicia
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 207
Registration date : 2010-05-22

http://www.theguineapighutch.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Young rabbit or adult rabbit? Empty Re: Young rabbit or adult rabbit?

Post by Jay Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:59 pm

if you go to a good rescue, they should be neutered already, so that sorts that one! For outside living, I don't think it matters too much, for indoor living, I would go with an adult first timer, small buns can be very destructive indoors and drive you and your wallet round the twist - we have a fully bunny proofed home and Stuart has already cost us about £150 in replacement wires and power supplies - not as bunny proofed as we thought Embarassed

Any intelligent animal can be re-trained, as it were. But you'd need to do your research into behaviour etc to do this. I suggest that rather than think about all the possibilities of what your prospective bun mill be like, when you're ready to adopt, speak to the rescue and tell them what you'd like. They know their rabbits, and will be able to match you up well, even if they don't have the right bun for you at the time. It's a lot better, in my opinion, to know what you're taking on board with an adult, than a baby, who could have mental or physical complications that have yet to materialise, esp. for a new owner Smile
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11365
Registration date : 2008-07-02

http://www.hoppingmad.org

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:07 pm

Id go for an adult bun, but like Jay said - see if you can find out a little about their personality first.

If they are aggressive it could be that they just need someone to love them and look after them properly, and you could be the person to turn their lives around.
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by alicia Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:11 pm

Unfortunately the rescues near me won't rehome to me because of the run problem, although I have spoken to a few rabbit owners who think the way I plan to exercise my rabbit (slightly smaller run during the day then all evening in the unheated utility room) would be ok.
Thank you for your help, I agree that an adult would be best. I may have already found one. He's 18 months old and his owner has said if I like him she's happy for me to get him in April. She's sent me photos and he is so cute, his name is Merlin Very Happy
alicia
alicia
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Vince the bunny Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:37 pm

My Hazel is around 2 or 3 and of all my buns, she is the calmest and was the perfect rabbit for a first time owner like me. It may just be her temperment but with an adult their charecter is already set so you know what you are getting. Babies are cute but I'm chuffed with my adult and teenagers! Glad you have found one! Just need to neuter him and find him a buddy!
Could the current owner take him to the vets for his neuter if you pay for it now? Then perhaps you could find a female in the mean time and rehome them together in neutral territory as their home would be new to both of them? I'm sure thats how I got away with bonding my trio, I got them in a short space of time. Just an idea Very Happy
Vince the bunny
Vince the bunny
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2290
Registration date : 2010-08-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Ruffin Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:38 pm

[b]I hope whatever you decide that it all goes well and like me you get as mutch out of the bunns as they get out of you. Smile
Ruffin
Ruffin
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1122
Registration date : 2010-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by LilyGrace Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:48 pm

I'd agree with everyone else! Whilst babys are cute, they get older quick and adults are super cute too ^_^....Vince the bunny that's a brilliant idea! Would save time and help with bonding if you find a lady bun Smile Good luck x
LilyGrace
LilyGrace
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2274
Registration date : 2010-07-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Snowy Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:01 am

Have you tried Furry Friends, that's where I got KK from on Saturday and they have lots of lovely bunnies waiting for a forever home
Snowy
Snowy
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 6022
Registration date : 2008-07-06

Back to top Go down

Post by alicia Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:38 pm

Thank you for the help Smile I have now found an adult bunny and I will get him a friend as soon as possible Very Happy
alicia
alicia
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down