Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hopper help please :)

+2
NickieM
Jay
6 posters

Go down

Hopper help please :) Empty Hopper help please :)

Post by Jay Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:45 am

I received this message on via the You Tube channel, and could you guys help this owner out. I think another bun is probably required, plus restricting space when unsupervised. I think that 2 buns are no more work than 1, but ?
Thanks Smile

Hello!
So, I have one rabbit. Female, and unspayed (planning on getting her spayed VERY soon). She's a free range rabbit so you can imagine the trouble she can get into. I've watched your boredum busters video, but I need things to keep her entertained while I'm NOT home. I've thought about adopting her a friend, but I'm afraid of the commitment. One rabbit is hard enough, I can't imagine two running around the house destroying things.

Can you give me some advice? She's not interested in toys & she's pretty large so I have to reduce her treat intake.
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11365
Registration date : 2008-07-02

http://www.hoppingmad.org

Back to top Go down

Hopper help please :) Empty Re: Hopper help please :)

Post by NickieM Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:24 am

Got my thinking cap on, but have no experience of house buns. Will give it some thought. However, I do think that the answer is to get another bun and just have a really good look at bunny-proofing. Maybe suggest he looks at your bunnyproofing your house video.
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Number of posts : 14530
Registration date : 2008-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:50 am

Yeah, I was gonna send those anyway, but I wanted Hoppers experience of having two house buns rather than just 1, in terms or practicality/mess/expense etc. Smile

It does sound like the Doe is bored, she'll prob calm down a bit after her spey.
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by willowholly Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:52 am

Ive had single houserabbits for 18years & got my first duo only 2 years ago.I got Dill as a friend for my B.I have to say I regreted getting another bun as Dill was teaching my girl "bad habits"& ended up with chewed up skirting boards that none of my other buns have done in the past.Now though,after the honeymoon period is over,they have settled into a lovely life together.B being a french lop,still craves human companionship which is why I think
she was being naughty in the beginning because basically I left her & Dill to it & she became more like her old self when I started giving her attention again.
My buns are free range from 5.30 to 23.00(I only shut them away at night because the neighbour complained about nocturnal noises! Laughing )They have a dog basket full of toys like balls & chew toys.They have a cardboard box to sleep in & chew,a tunnel,their pet carrier with a towel they can screw up,2 chairs to jump on & off & off course each other to chase & groom.They seem pretty content so think must be doing something right! Very Happy
willowholly
willowholly
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 145
Registration date : 2010-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by SarahJane Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:30 am

Hmmm personally I think most bunnies are much more well behaved when they are in a duo, out of all the boarders I have had its the single bunnies who eat the hutch or rip up the carpet Laughing

I think if she adopted a bunny who was at least 2 years old, past the hormonal stage, already neutered then they would be considerably calmer. obviously its a risk because you dont know for sure, but i think another bunny would definately calm things down.

I expect if she explained to a rescue they could find a bunny who is suitable?
SarahJane
SarahJane
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 6018
Registration date : 2008-07-01

Back to top Go down

Post by NSD Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:51 am

I was worried when I adopted Bruce about how much extra mess and work he would require. Honestly, I think it all evened out in the end. Having Bruce around meant Josephine had a play mate to distract her; she has become much less aware of the occasional wire hanging around accidentally since she has Bruce to distract her. So in this way, it's less work. However, Bruce did require slightly more food and a second litterbox, which while it's not much, was a bit extra.

Ultimately I would definitely recommend a second bunny. Once the house is bunny-proofed for one bunny, it's usually bunny-proofed for all bunnies (you'd hope, anyway!)
NSD
NSD
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2212
Registration date : 2010-02-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:58 am

Thanks so much Hoppers Thumbs Up I'm gonna send this thread to the the questioner, so just wanted to add that once the girl is speyed, she'll need a month-6 weeks before being introduced to a male, who must be neutered.

Here's the video's on Bunnyproofing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3-4qakCYUQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zf7zSf_aYBs

Rescues often will bond your bunny for you, and find a suitable partner. Wave

Does having 2 double the expense?
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by LilyGrace Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:04 pm

Hmmm...Luna certainly eats a lot less carpet now they are in a couple, but they do both get bored still sometimes. I find just keeping them supplied with hay keeps them entertained Laughing
As for doubling the cost... not particularly, obviously vet wise it would, but food I havent noticed too much change in costs apart from Thistle eats a lot more hay than Luna does...and litter trays need cleaning way more often than a single bun but then that's a given Smile.
Sounds like a good plan to keep her girl busy me thinks, if she is at home on her own a bit then it's nice for her to have company. This is why I got Thistle because Luna was more destructive because she was bored and lonely...and now the problem has been solved ^_^
General mess wise, it's no worse than it was before, still hay and poo every where...I only just yesterday invested in a dust pan and brush Rolling Eyes Which is now my new best friend ha ha! (I do have a hoover but that's a pain getting it out every single day all the time).
LilyGrace
LilyGrace
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2274
Registration date : 2010-07-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down