Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ilnesses between guinea-pigs and rabbits

5 posters

Go down

Ilnesses between guinea-pigs and rabbits Empty Ilnesses between guinea-pigs and rabbits

Post by alicia Sat Feb 19, 2011 7:07 pm

Merlin and the guinea-pigs will never be together in a run or hutch or anything, but I will move their runs around the garden after they eat the grass so that they can eat more grass but I don't know if they could catch anything from each other from the grass or anything. Sorry if it's a silly question, but I don't want to risk either the guinea-pigs or rabbit becoming ill. Also, my cat and the dogs I look after run all over the grass, whenever they go to the loo it is cleaned up straight afterwards but I still don't know if them being on the grass would harm the rabbit. All dogs I look after, and my cat, are wormed, are there any other risks of them all being on the grass and what can I do to stop Merlin getting ill?
alicia
alicia
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 207
Registration date : 2010-05-22

http://www.theguineapighutch.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Ilnesses between guinea-pigs and rabbits Empty Re: Ilnesses between guinea-pigs and rabbits

Post by NSD Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:53 pm

This is an interesting question! I have no idea - hopefully someone with some experience can answer it. My guy instinct would be no, but then I'm really not sure
NSD
NSD
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2212
Registration date : 2010-02-27

Back to top Go down

Ilnesses between guinea-pigs and rabbits Empty Re: Ilnesses between guinea-pigs and rabbits

Post by Fraggle Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:08 pm

My guinea pigs and rabbits graze together all the time, I have never had a problem with it. They don,t mix with the dogs but the cat goes in and plays with the rabbit sometimes. I wouldn't think you would have a problem.
Fraggle
Fraggle
New Hopper
New Hopper

Number of posts : 41
Registration date : 2011-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:40 pm

I'm not sure about the diseases but I know that the previous advice that
recommended putting ginneas and buns together has since been withdrawn, and they shouldnt really be put together. As far as I know though this is for social reasons rather than the risk of disease. I would think so long as the other animals are wormed and Merlin is up to date on his jabs, I wouldnt imagine there would be a problem.

Someone else may know more than me though.

So are you counting the weeks til merlin now????
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Vince the bunny Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:18 pm

I wondered this too as I often get the rabbit's and g.pig's water bottles all muddled up and probably give them each others bottles.
Vince the bunny
Vince the bunny
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2290
Registration date : 2010-08-09

Back to top Go down

Post by alicia Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:21 pm

Sorry my first post wasn't very clear, I meant that they wouldn't be together ever, but I move the guinea-pig run and the rabbit run round the garden so they can have more grass and I didn't know if either of them could catch anything from the grass that other animals have been in contact with.
6 weeks until I can get Merlin! Very Happy
alicia
alicia
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 207
Registration date : 2010-05-22

http://www.theguineapighutch.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:20 pm

I think it would be find hun.......

I bet merlin is looking forward to seeing you too...... x x x
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down