Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Any advice please?

4 posters

Go down

Any advice please? Empty Any advice please?

Post by jolovesbunnies Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:46 pm

Can anyone help please with a rather smelly bun.

As you all know I have an eight year old bun called Mr Snuffles. Mr Snuffles is generally very healthy, a proper trooper, whioenjoys his life, loves his food and generally rules us all.

However, as with all old things, he is starting to smell very wee-weey. His little bob is permanently yellow and the smell is really offensive. We have taken him to the vet and they say it is just old age and for his comfort, I give him a little botty-bath every week. I wondered if any of you lovely people know of something which will at least lessen the smell because even after he is washed, it is back with avengeance.

He sleeps on my bed and I am not going to suddernly lock him out, he is my lovely friend and I don't want to be apart from him, but I would appreciate less of a pong!!

I know it is a long-shot because it is his age but has anyone any suggestions please help?

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11948
Registration date : 2011-01-02

Back to top Go down

Any advice please? Empty Re: Any advice please?

Post by KatieB Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:49 pm

Oh bless him

Just an idea - do you use an absorbent litter in his tray? Im thinking this might soak up some of the wee before he dips his bum back in it.
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Happy Hoppers Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:58 pm

I'm also wondering if maybe a 'dry' pet shampoo might help? It's available as a powder, in fact, it is much like talcom powder for people. I find it doesn't really 'clean' but it does help with the smell.

The only thing would be making sure he doesn't consume large quantities of it, that said I assume it must be safe because almost all animals groom themselves throughout the day.
Happy Hoppers
Happy Hoppers
Admin

Number of posts : 6477
Registration date : 2008-06-14

http://happyhoppers.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:43 pm

Thank you m'dears for your kind advice, and I will look into the possibility of a dry shampoo which is safe to use.

Snuffie has a large dog bed filled with hay, which is changed twice a day, I never thoght about cat litter but that may well be the answer. The thing is he is used to using his hay box now. Anyway, I will see what I can do.

Thank you for your kind help.

Lots of love

Jo xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by SarahJane Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:49 pm

No advice im afraid, but i hope it gets better soon xx
SarahJane
SarahJane
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 6018
Registration date : 2008-07-01

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:50 pm

You can still use the hay box. Daisy has a layer of Megazorb with his hay on top. Its really absorbent helps with odors, and I put his hay on top which he munches quite happily. But I guess you would need loads if it is a large doggy bed......so may not be that practical. x x
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:11 pm

Thank you both for your kind replies. I will buy some this weekend and see how we get on. I could just cover one half of the bed in the hope that that is the half he uses. I think it is going to be a little bit of trial and error here, but I will do my best and let you know how we do.

Mr Snuffles sends lots of whisker rubs and so do I.

Jo xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down