Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Need bonding advice

3 posters

Go down

Need bonding advice Empty Need bonding advice

Post by Dawnbunny Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:22 pm

I have 2 male house bunnies, Pumpkin (sexed wrong) (age 5) and Binky (age 6). Life with 2 males in the house is very interesting !

Binky is the most loving bunny , he orignally was bonded with a male cat (Tom), when Tom died Binky became gastric and we chose Pumpkin as a supposedly female friend ... who then turned out to be male!

From the moment Pumpkin(our ginga ninga) arrived he ruled the roost, even though he is smaller and younger. Binky is happy to bond with Pumpkin but Pumpkin is having none of it.. We have tried every bonding tech that we know of over a 5 yr period... They are fond of each other and will lay side by side for about 10 minutes until Pumpkin nips Binky and then a fight ensues, this has meant years of keeping them apart and them taking turns running around the house .... Outside they will lay side by side with wire inbetween them for hours.

We thought about getting 2 females for them but Pumpkin is so forthright with his furry play girlfriends we have been advised against finding him a real girfriend.

A few months ago we moved to a larger warren Very Happy Since moving , Binky for the first time in 5 yrs licked Pumpkin's ear through the bars.... after a week I sat Pumpkin next to Binky and to my surprise Binky immediately began to lick the whole of Pumpkins head and Pumpkin let him for at least 10 mins. Shocked After which time Pumpkin twitched and Binky backed off but was then brave enough to come forward again and submit to Pumpkin.... Pumpkin refused to lick Binky and he ran in his bed..... Sad Poor Binky all he wants is to bond with Pumpkin...

I work from home and am with the boys all day long....

What should I do now ?

1. Give up and always keep them apart ?
2. Try putting them together again immediately and see what happens?
3. Cover Binky's head in Pumpkins favourite mashed banana?

I would appreciate your thoughts...

thank you

Dawn

Ps joined HH twitter Very Happy

Dawnbunny
Dawnbunny
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 519
Registration date : 2011-02-19

Back to top Go down

Need bonding advice Empty Re: Need bonding advice

Post by Jay Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:50 pm

Is it possible just to leave them out in the same space, and see how things go, without the pressure of an 'official' bond. Males can take a long time to bond, and so it may just need patience, rather than intervention. If they aren't fighting, then they must be content in each other's company.

Nickie M had a real struggle to get her two bucks to bond, but patience and perseverance worked. Her thread may help..
https://happyhoppers.forumotion.co.uk/t9911-bonding-has-commenced?highlight=bonding+felix

and thanks for following us, I've added you to the members list Wave
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11365
Registration date : 2008-07-02

http://www.hoppingmad.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Dawnbunny Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:03 pm

Hi Jay,

Many thanks for the response, just read Nickis M thread with great interest, wow what bravery was shown....

Maybe Im not being brave enough. They do fight after a 10 min cuddle ... Pumpkin nips , Binky jumps and then the chase/ fight begins and fur flies.

On the odd occasion they have accidentally been let out at the same time you know because the fur goes everywhere... this is what has stopped me from leaving them alone.

I wonder if I should just be brave and try again now Pumpkin has allowed Binky to lick his head.... Do I just need courage Hmmm Maybe Pumpkin is mellowing in his middle age !

Dawn
Dawnbunny
Dawnbunny
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:42 pm

Hey Dawn,
Perhaps their new found love for each other could be because of the move to the new place, with it being neutral territory?

I know with NickieM it did take a while but I also know that her boys are soooo happy with each other now.

With it being new territory for them both, now might be the perfect time to give it a go.
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Dawnbunny Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:54 pm

Thanks Katie, you have made a very good point about it being new neutral territory.

Bonding sessions have begun Very Happy

Today went well , 20 mins, sniffing each others rears, both seeming to try submitting to the other but neither would lick the other. However they licked their own faces which is a better sign ....

Both just kept nudging me .... I stroke them once or twice but not sure if I should ignore them to help them nudge each other instead.

There was only one little chasing incident but this stopped quickly naturally... bonding only finished as Pumpkin chose to jump in his bed.

Thanks for your support...

Dawn
Dawnbunny
Dawnbunny
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:59 am

I did't think about that Katie, but it makes complete sense Smile

Dawn, you can stroke them, do what's called 'cross-scenting' where you stroke one, then the other and back again. It puts the scent of each onto the other, and it may help. Sounds as if it's all going well Thumbs Up
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11365
Registration date : 2008-07-02

http://www.hoppingmad.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Dawnbunny Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:14 am

Thanks Jay, thats what I was doing, I think thats why they started licking themselves.... Very Happy
Dawnbunny
Dawnbunny
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Dawnbunny Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:09 pm

Its not going well ... think I will have to stop , ever since I started trying to bond them Pumpkin has now begun spaying all over the office carpet. He has always been so litter trained...

Pumpkin runs over to Binky's bed stares at him then turns and begins weeing on the floor...

I know he is just trying to mark his territory.. I shout , "toilet now " and he runs to the toilet . Fell bad as I know what he is doing is natural to him....

I guess since Binky licked his head Pumpkin feels dominated and cant except it.... Sad I dont want Pumpkin to be unhappy.

Would appreciate any advice... its great to have you guys to talk to about this.

Dawn
Dawnbunny
Dawnbunny
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Dawnbunny Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:52 pm

Binky is now gastric ... not sure if its due to the bonding attempts or something wrong with his teeth again.... Am managing to gets greens and fruit in him .... see what the vet says...

bonding attempts are now suspended.

Dawn
Dawnbunny
Dawnbunny
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:18 pm

Sending Vibes for Binky,

These bonds with buns can take a long time so dont give up completely. Perhaps have another go when Binky is all better.

Please let us know how he gets on at the vets. x x x
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Dawnbunny Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:06 pm

Hi Katie,

Binky is fine and began eating again on his own so didnt need to go to the vets, think the bonding affected him negatively. I will try again , maybe in small bonding dosages.

As for me Ive had a bad stomach for a few days so havent been about.

Dawn
Dawnbunny
Dawnbunny
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:49 am

Hiya

Sorry you are feeling poorly hun.

Really glad binky is feeling better though.

Yea small doses, neautral territory.

Nickie M who recently bonded her two boys cant get on line at the mo, but should be back next week, she will be able to give you some brilliant advice.

K x
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Dawnbunny Sat Mar 12, 2011 5:36 pm

thanks Katie...

Im wondering if my 2 are just to old and set in their ways... it will be good to talk to Nickie when she returns.

Dawn
Dawnbunny
Dawnbunny
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Sat Mar 12, 2011 5:40 pm

Dont give up......they just dont know whats good for them the little monsters!
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum: