Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Should he go outside? Help please hoppers...

+18
jan
NSD
LilyGrace
Catsknickers
Happy Hoppers
KatieB
Josephine
Velvet.Tears
James1966
NickieM
Corrina
SarahJane
Yodaphine
Dotdot
jolovesbunnies
Shellypops
Tammybunny
Jay
22 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Should he go outside? Help please hoppers... Empty Should he go outside? Help please hoppers...

Post by Jay Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:32 pm

As you know, Stewie bear has gotten a little out of control recently. In 5 months he's cost us just short of £200 in replacement cable, phones, remotes, routers etc. He's trashed an armchair, quite a lot of carpet and various other soft furnishings. We had the place bunny-proofed for an arthritic bunny, not realising that Bertie's arthritis meant that his ability to get everywhere he wanted to was limited. This was woefully inadequate for Stewie.

Paul is now reaching a point of desperation, and I keep catching him with his head in his hands as he discovers something else that's been wrecked- it's not fair on him, this is stuff that he works hard for. I don't feel that the office where Stewie now lives is the best place for him, there's too much temptation, and some of it isn't safe, IF he were to get to it. So, something has got to give until he gets a little older and calms down a bit, which I know will happen at some point. He can't go in the bottom bedroom, too much to wreck, he can't stay in the lounge - the carpet won't survive his frustration at being penned in.

The only place left is the balcony Sad Those of you that have been here know that our balcony is the size of a small room. It has a bamboo fence around it, and he has a summer house hutch (4'x2'x2') on there, with hiding space underneath, a tub of soil to dig and toilet in, and a tunnel. He's started spending the afternoon's out there already and seems happy there. Once the temperature at night gets to 10 degrees, we are thinking of moving him out there. He will still have access to the front room and kitchen (which he only has when we're home anyway) as well, whenever we are home, so essentially not much will change, he'll just be in a different room. I won't ever lock the hutch, so he'll still have a 9' x 5' space to hop around in. I also won't leave him out there in winter, this is just for the next few months. What do you guys think? I'd appreciate your thoughts , thanks Wave
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11365
Registration date : 2008-07-02

http://www.hoppingmad.org

Back to top Go down

Should he go outside? Help please hoppers... Empty Re: Should he go outside? Help please hoppers...

Post by Tammybunny Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:16 pm

Are you able to get him a friend?

My Aflie used to chew all the time and was really destructive, and then i got Floss and he is a different bun.

If not i think your balcony sounds like a lovely placce to live Smile There is only so much chewing you can put up with! I hope that helps a litte. x
Tammybunny
Tammybunny
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 80
Registration date : 2011-03-28

Back to top Go down

Should he go outside? Help please hoppers... Empty Re: Should he go outside? Help please hoppers...

Post by Shellypops Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:25 pm

Bobby was the same before we got Carlo.

But your balcony sounds lovely and safer
Shellypops
Shellypops
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 431
Registration date : 2010-04-25

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:32 pm

Oh what a little tinker, Snuffie was like that when he was younger and he had two companions. Sorry, perhaps not what you want to hear. We did rabbit proof cables etc but then he started on the walls and furniture. He is a lovely little character, not as friendly as he could be but and we are still have chats about that LOL!! However, he is a great little character.

All over our place there is evidence of many things having been "snuffled."

I hope your little one stops being a destruct-abun soon!!

Jo xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11948
Registration date : 2011-01-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Dotdot Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:10 pm

If he went out on the balcony, which sounds lovely, I'm sure he wouldn't mind! It sounds like he likes having his own space and it's not like he will get very cold since the weather is warming up and as you said won't be out there for long.

Stewie you really are a little tinker.
Dotdot
Dotdot
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 3515
Registration date : 2011-02-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Yodaphine Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:10 pm

Wow! Naughty boy!! I actually feel bad for whinging about Roo snipping a few beads off my beaded curtain No Jay Im so sorry the little monster is putting you through this, I wish I could give you advice but im the noob, you probably know more than I could tell you!
You kinda made me realise that Roo is far better behaved than I give her credit for, in total she has destroyed 3 sets of headphones, and 1 phone charger, oh and the bead trimming fetish...Theres other stuff she has tried to chew but I usually notice before she does any damage, and usung the training methods I got from you, she is learning pretty well what she can and cant chew.
I think He will be fine outside, I know you will make sure he is happy...And besides, summers coming , he might actually appreciate it Smile x

Yodaphine
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 472
Registration date : 2011-01-04

Back to top Go down

Post by SarahJane Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:16 pm

Having been to yours and seen how its set up I think he would be fine, then when you are around you can teach him right and wrong, with the spray bottle etc as you are now, and he cant get up to mischief when you're not around. Stewie does sleep alot anyway, he wears himself out with his mad dashes etc so he wouldnt suffer.

Also, when its warm mine just lay in a pile in the sun so i expect he will like it!

The only other option is to get some extra carpet/flooring to put in his pen so he isnt wrecking the carpet? is that an option instead?
SarahJane
SarahJane
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 6018
Registration date : 2008-07-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Corrina Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:10 pm

Is the balcony fully enclosed, so he's not able to leap off it or anything? My buns manage to climb alarmingly high on hutch roofs. If its leap-proof it sounds ideal for him. The little rascal!

Blanche has demolished one of my garden chairs - there is only the frame left!

Its so hard to be cross though!

Corrina
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 603
Registration date : 2010-08-22

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:48 pm

From what your balcony looks like, I will be absolutely fine. It is coming up to summer and the weather is getting warmer. Also it will help his hocks too.

What is hurting you is that you feel you have failed him. But he isn't Bertie. He's younger and more energetic - and destructive. I think you need this compromise so that you're both happy. It is a great solution. xx
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Number of posts : 14530
Registration date : 2008-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by James1966 Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:58 pm

It's not just the bunny that you have to consider though. Paul is important here - how much will he put up with? The odd wire, TV remote or patch of carpet could be annoying (and expensive), but what happens if it's something irreplaceable? An old photo, tickets to a concert or maybe some letters.

The balcony sounds a good compromise, and that's what it's got to be - a compromise. It won't be what Stewie would want, but then you and Pual don't want the destruction and expense. Sacrifices all round, sounds like a good recipe for a long and happy relationship.

James

James1966
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 258
Registration date : 2009-02-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Velvet.Tears Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:31 pm

As long as there is no space underneath for him to sneak out of and fall off I think it would be fine.
Velvet.Tears
Velvet.Tears
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 5578
Registration date : 2010-08-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Josephine Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:37 pm

I am in no position to give any advice Jay, being as I only managed to keep Mindy and Brian outdoors for just over 24 hours. All I will say is that since they have come back indoors, the litter tray habits have improved 100 fold. Maybe if Stewie has a spell outdoors, you might find whenever you allow him indoors he will be much better behaved. It is definately worth a try. Good luck, I really hope the situations sorts itself out and you and Paul can get your home back to normal. x
Hugs
Josephine
Josephine
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 3380
Registration date : 2008-07-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:05 am

^^ Laughing It's a good plan Jo Thumbs Up
Thanks for your replies guys, and you're right James, Paul is a priority here, at the minute neither of us can relax when he's indoors, and that's not great. Apart from clothes, I only own one thing here, my piano, and although he's gone through the mains and the pedal leads for that, they were easily replaceable.

Getting him a friend isn't an option at the mo, although if he likes it outside, it could become one, something to see in the future, although I'm not sure he's a bun that would want one yet, but I'm open to it.

Strangely, the last few days and eve's he's been sat out there quite happily of his own accord. Thanks again Wave
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:07 am

God thats such a tough one.

I think stewie would like it out on the balcony, I suspect that you will find it more painful than he will.

THe only other thing I could suggest is getting him a rug like the one I have to go under his pen.

Sorry, Im the most rubbish person to advise on this.
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:15 am

I think he'll be fine, the problem with trying to make the pen work with carpet or a rug underneath is simply that the pen isn't big enough for him to be in for more than an hour or so. He starts bar biting and trying to get out, so I wouldn't feel comfortable leaving him in there over night. I could get a bigger pen, but given the choice of a pen or outside, I think outside is better for him.

I do feel like I've failed him a bit, but we did go through this with Berts, just not as ferociously, and Stewie, unlike Berts, can't really be left alone for long.
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Happy Hoppers Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:18 am

I think often when we feel guilt for putting a rabbit out it is because we are reflecting our own human emotions on to the rabbit. Stewie isn't going to be feeling outcasted, like Paul would if you shut him on the balcony, in fact as the weather improves he is probably going to relish it.

It can't be nice for him being told off all the time either, so it may well help him relax too.
Happy Hoppers
Happy Hoppers
Admin

Number of posts : 6477
Registration date : 2008-06-14

http://happyhoppers.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Catsknickers Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:49 am

I think he will be fine outside my darling. I would go for it and see how you get on. My Lily was incredibly destructive as a young un and I had to put her outside. Don't be hard on yourself. Paul will love you for it Wink x
Catsknickers
Catsknickers
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 12740
Registration date : 2008-06-22

http://www.rspca-lincoln.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by LilyGrace Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:38 pm

Sounds like a good idea! Maybe the change of scene will help him calm down a bit and keep him busy Smile. Don't feel like you've failed him, bunnys are stubborn and it's difficult to train them - some are more suited for outdoors and some for in. You're lucky you have the option too Smile, my two have completely wrecked the carpet in my bedroom and chewed the doors and door frame. I'm going to have to replace what I can when we move out beacuse it's rented Rolling Eyes I can't put them outside though because of our dogs!
LilyGrace
LilyGrace
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2274
Registration date : 2010-07-17

Back to top Go down

Post by NSD Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:13 am

Especially in the summer I think he might really enjoy being outside! All the nice smells and activity, and the sun will be really fun for him.

Josephine used to live in my bedroom when she was a single bun. It wasn't until after she moved into her own bedroom that I realised how stressful it could be with a destructive teenage bunny on the loose!

Stewie won't feel rejected at all as long as you still let him inside when you are home! If you are nervous about him being lonely you could always take him bunny dating to see if a nice young girl or boy catches his eye - if none do, then he can remain a single bun. It's just an option. Like others have mentioned, when I got Bruce I found that Josephine really calmed down. I think she had him to play with / harass when she became bored, instead of taking her boredom out on our furniture.
NSD
NSD
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2212
Registration date : 2010-02-27

Back to top Go down

Post by jan Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:39 pm

I'm sure he will be fine out doors and seems a good solution to all
other things that you probably have tried a ex large puppy pen.(to limit his space within a room cardboard boxes for him to rip up and play in.
jan
jan
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1481
Registration date : 2008-12-31

Back to top Go down

Post by Catsknickers Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:46 pm

How is he getting on Jay?
Catsknickers
Catsknickers
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 12740
Registration date : 2008-06-22

http://www.rspca-lincoln.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:55 am

well, he's outside all day now, but I still haven't been able to put him out all night Embarassed I am a complete woos I know. The weather here is gonna turn colder over the next few days, so he'll be staying in a bit more.

He actually really loves it out there, so I don't really know why I'm worrying...
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Dotdot Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:16 am

It's only natural to worry! We feel guilty and assume the buns will not like us for it.
It's fantastic he's enjoying it! It's like his own little space that's probably why. And I'm sure he's enjoying all the fresh air.
Dotdot
Dotdot
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 3515
Registration date : 2011-02-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Rosie Rabbit Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:53 pm

That's great news that he loves it out there, it sounds like he's perfectly happy. Very Happy
Rosie Rabbit
Rosie Rabbit
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2016
Registration date : 2008-07-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Felix&Willow Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:21 am

I have been wondering the same thing about my two, now they are a bit bigger they are so inquistive and full of energy, and quite distructive! They dont like being picked up now, I expect their initial tolerance was fear rather than enjoying being cuddled Rolling Eyes Although i have some-what rabbit proofed the lounge, I worry about them when I am at work, and certainly dont want them confined in their cage where i keep their loo and food, bed etc. So I am going to buy a much bigger run and outdoor hutch and let them have the best of both worlds - hopefully by the time the weather gets cold again they will have calmed down a bit Hmmm I do hope they become a bit better at being picked up, they raelly dont like it and try to jump out of my arms, I have had to drop to my knees a few times as they are so wriggly im afraid they are going to jump from a height and hurt themselves. I might have to start wrapping them up when i have to carry them outside to the run to get some sun, little monkeys Love
Felix&Willow
Felix&Willow
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1123
Registration date : 2011-04-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next