Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Behaviour I dont understand

5 posters

Go down

Behaviour I dont understand Empty Behaviour I dont understand

Post by Felix&Willow Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:40 pm

Hmmm

Felix seems spooked tonight - she can be really happy lazing about with Wills and grooming her - next thing she is staring at something (I really cant tell what) in a very erect pose - big eyes, very upright ears, and then stamping her foot - this then frightens willow who adopts the same posture, but doesnt seem to be looking in the same place? I cant even see a spider or something out of the ordinary - no strange noise. I wondered at first if this stamping was being directed at willow, but willow hadnt always been near felix when she has done it, and they are their usual bff selves? Each time myself or Yasmin has gone to them and stroked them and they quickley relax - any idea's?
Felix&Willow
Felix&Willow
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1123
Registration date : 2011-04-12

Back to top Go down

Behaviour I dont understand Empty Re: Behaviour I dont understand

Post by Tuckerbunnies Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:46 pm

Some of our's do this sometimes and it's surprising what a rabbit hear's that we don't. I've noticed Roly will drum his back feet sometimes when he approaches Enya and I think it's a dominance thing, I wouldn't worry to much about it Smile

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 15875

Back to top Go down

Post by Felix&Willow Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:56 pm

Ok, that makes sense, maybe she hears something i dont, and she is more fretfull (though in alot of ways appears more confident and boisterous) than Willow. She grooms Willow more than willow grooms felix so I have wondered if willow will be the dominant one - though she is so chilled i doubt she cares about being the boss Very Happy
Felix&Willow
Felix&Willow
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Amelia66 Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:57 pm

stamping of back feet is usually a signal to other rabbits of danger. maybe she is hearing something outside or something that she hasn't heard before that is spooking her. She is telling willow there is danger and that is why willow adopts the same posture looking out for danger.
Amelia66
Amelia66
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1789
Registration date : 2011-02-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Felix&Willow Sat Apr 23, 2011 7:14 am

We have had a big event of this this morning, this time its Willow and there was loads of repeated thumps - Willow is hiding behind the furntiure still 15 minutes later, and Felix darted upstairs to the sanctuary of my bedroom and remains there. There seem to be alot of planes going over this morning, but thats normal, we are in Reading and are near the flight path to heathrow - never seemed to bother them before though. Also at the time this thumping started nxt doors cat was in our garden and we have big glass sliding doors from the lounge into the garden so maybe willow is scared of the cat?

I dunno, I will try and tempt them out with the hay bag, no matter how much hay they have in their bed the bag always seems more appealing to them Laughing
Felix&Willow
Felix&Willow
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Felix&Willow Sat Apr 23, 2011 7:15 am

oh hold on, willows comming out, red alert over! Wink
Felix&Willow
Felix&Willow
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Sat Apr 23, 2011 7:37 am

I bet it's the cat, we have has this problem with daisy and next doors cats. He knew when they were in the garden and would do that exact behaviour. Sometimes in the middle of the night we would hear him going mad stamping and scrambling downstairs and we thought we had burglars!

Because it was dark outside, when we turned the lights oninside, we couldnt see the cat but daisy knew it was there. He has calmed downabout them now though although we have put up 2 m willow screening so it's hard for them to get in. I told Matt was to stop them pooping in the garden but really it was so they couldn't look in at my boy!

I always think of the cat in watership down whispering "can you run, I think not" through the door at my boy. Laughing
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Felix&Willow Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:27 am

I think your right! Im going to imagine the cat saying that now! Little minx! We arent too fond of the cat next door either - only because I had a swing set for Yasmin in a wood chipped area in the garden, and Sophie the cat was using it as a litter tray, I tried everything to deter her (even squirted her with a water pistol a few times Embarassed she was having none of it - several poopy shoes for Yasmin later I took the damn thing down and got rid of the wood chips!

Fear not Willow and Felix, Sophie is a foe of old, there has been many a battle, mostly she has won, but not this time, we will devise a cunning plan ( I hope) Laughing Laughing

This also means we should not leave them in the run while we are out I suppose - its on concrete so they cant get out and sophie cant get in.... and they have Igloo's to dive in to hide - but I dont want them to be scared......

Let the battle commence!!! Wink
Felix&Willow
Felix&Willow
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:42 am

Good luck! May I reccomend a super soaker?
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by LilyGrace Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:00 am

Thistle is petrified of our cat too! He goes mad if he catches a glimpse of her, Luna loves her and follows her around. But yeah, sounds like it's defo the kitty >_<
LilyGrace
LilyGrace
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2274
Registration date : 2010-07-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Felix&Willow Sat Apr 23, 2011 12:34 pm

I have tried 'ye get ouff my land' in a somerset accent - failure. Super soaker it is Laughing
Felix&Willow
Felix&Willow
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum: