Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Vaccination Month....How do you feel about it?

+6
NickieM
Tuckerbunnies
Thumper2001
Becki
Jay
SarahJane
10 posters

Go down

Vaccination Month....How do you feel about it? Empty Vaccination Month....How do you feel about it?

Post by SarahJane Wed May 04, 2011 12:20 pm

Going to be a bit blunt - I dont like this. I know its designed to help bunnies/cats/dogs, but I cannot express how angry I felt sat in the waiting room two years ago when they did this, with four rabbits and spent £80 in one sitting for their vaccinations, and then someone turns up with four rabbits and gets it for free. In my opinion its rewarding! I felt like I was being punished.

Obviously I would rather mine be vaccinated like clockwork as opposed to not and then get a freebie - but it does drive me up the wall. I know someone who doesnt vaccinate properly because "these offers always happen", so what good does it really do?

I hate to sound bitter, and i am sure there is cases where it does good, but i am personally not looking forward to taking Domino and Pebbles for their vaccines this week, and seeing the same thing I did two years ago.

I guess if you were in an area where you only have to do it once a year its a good thing, but here we are told every 6 months. I probably sound really horrible

http://www.nvmonline.co.uk/

Embarassed
SarahJane
SarahJane
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 6018
Registration date : 2008-07-01

Back to top Go down

Vaccination Month....How do you feel about it? Empty Re: Vaccination Month....How do you feel about it?

Post by Jay Wed May 04, 2011 12:46 pm

I understand why you're bitter - there are always people in life who take and don't give into the melting pot - be grateful you aren't one of them, and know that you are doing the best you can.
Easy to say, but ultimately, however it's done, the animals are vaccinated, that's what's important. Try not to let it eat at you, or compare yourself, it's not usually a good thing thing to do, but I completely understand. It gives vets a chance to discuss vacs with owners, and who knows, maybe that person you saw last year will be sat there waiting to pay this year? Hugs
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11365
Registration date : 2008-07-02

http://www.hoppingmad.org

Back to top Go down

Vaccination Month....How do you feel about it? Empty Re: Vaccination Month....How do you feel about it?

Post by Becki Wed May 04, 2011 12:47 pm

Is this the vouchers you can get if vaccinations are three months out? There are alsorts of T&C's aren't there so I don't know how correct I am in my knowledge.

I don't think you sound horrible at all, though. I can see where you come from in that people trying to do their best by their rabbit are getting charged more for being responsible. I do think its a fabulous thing they are trying to do here, but personally would rather see wider access to neutering vouchers, say. I know they're about but they don't seem to be publicised as much as the vaccs ones. And if there were more births prevented...well..

Maybe write them an email Sj?

XX
Becki
Becki
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2083

Back to top Go down

Post by Thumper2001 Wed May 04, 2011 1:02 pm

I don't understand, why would some get it for free when we have to pay? confused
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Number of posts : 13766
Registration date : 2011-04-26

Back to top Go down

Post by SarahJane Wed May 04, 2011 1:15 pm

I think the reason is bothered me ....if im honest, Is because my sister only got her rabbit neutered because she told the RSPCA she couldnt afford it. then she got this voucher (2 years ago) and got him vaccinated for free.

And I just sat there and thought.....how is this fair? but then its like that with anything isnt it, theres always people that will get them for free.

Dad told me to take them to the other vets they are registered at but havent been to since before peanut died Embarassed BUT..i couldnt do it because I couldnt bear for a vet to think I didnt vaccinate ROFL

You got to laugh really havent you? x
SarahJane
SarahJane
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies Wed May 04, 2011 2:28 pm

It's a very expensive time for us getting vaccinations with having 21 buns we dread the bill pale but we have it to do.

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 15875

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Wed May 04, 2011 6:47 pm

It is unfair, but think about it, your sister probably wouldn't have bothered vaccinating without the voucher and it's the rabbit that suffers if it catches myxi. I would rather make sure my buns are covered, but some buns aren't so lucky and at least this gives them a little protection.
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Number of posts : 14530
Registration date : 2008-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by SarahJane Wed May 04, 2011 6:49 pm

Yeh, your right and deep down I know you are right. It just infuriates me a little but it doesnt affect me really, and it does affect the buns out there.
SarahJane
SarahJane
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by SarahJane Wed May 04, 2011 6:50 pm

NickieM wrote:It is unfair, but think about it, your sister probably wouldn't have bothered vaccinating without the voucher and it's the rabbit that suffers if it catches myxi. I would rather make sure my buns are covered, but some buns aren't so lucky and at least this gives them a little protection.

He died from VHD anyway unfortunately, she never got him vaccinated again after that despite promising she would and i feel guilty about it every day. Sad
SarahJane
SarahJane
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Wed May 04, 2011 6:50 pm

Some bunnies are never destined to have a long life because of their owners. Sometimes the sooner they pass on and out of misery, the better.
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Number of posts : 14530
Registration date : 2008-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Becki Thu May 05, 2011 10:07 am

NickieM wrote:Some bunnies are never destined to have a long life because of their owners. Sometimes the sooner they pass on and out of misery, the better.

Agreed x
Becki
Becki
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2083

Back to top Go down

Post by Rosie Rabbit Thu May 05, 2011 12:09 pm

I totally understand how you feel - it's frustrating when you like to do things properly and then you see people getting stuff for free.

But I suppose if it helps bunnies then that is the main thing, as they're probably buns who wouldn't otherwise be vaccinated.
Rosie Rabbit
Rosie Rabbit
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Fliss&Penelope Thu May 05, 2011 6:23 pm

I am in two minds about this.
I can understand totally where you're coming from on this Sarah Jane, as it's really fustrating when you do the right thing by your bun and pay properly for the treatment. For example, my (ex) friend took her bun to our local RSPCA and got him fixed for free after saying she was on benefits and couldn't afford it, using her old forms that she had 'altered' The true fact is that she had been back at work for 4 months already when she went and was on a very good wage. Meanwhile I'm a student and saved and scrimped on my treats to pay for Penelope's nuter and care.

However, today when I took Penelope to the vets for a check up, it just so happened that it was Vaccs month that Penelope was finally allowed her Myxo jab after being ill. And as Penelope has just turned 9 months, and this was her first vaccs, she got it for half price and will get a free booster in 6 months.
I really appreciated this from my vet as I wasn't fully aware that Penelope would qualify for it, and she let me know and sorted it all out today for me. Penelope would have got her jabs anyway, without this months offer as I had been saving up for her vaccs for about two months now waiting for when she was well enough to have it.

So on the one hand, I get the fustration of people who cheat the system or use it to their advantage instead of doing the best for their buns. And on the other hand, I think it is a great thing for people like me who do save up for proper treatment and when it just so happens that I can get something cheaper by a chance offer then I wouldn't turn it down.

Sorry for the ramble!!! xx
Fliss&Penelope
Fliss&Penelope
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 69
Registration date : 2011-04-11

http://www.offbeatgirldesigns.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Fri May 06, 2011 7:27 am

I can completely see why it makes you cross hun, but then its the only chance some of these buns will get to get vac'd and neutered, so to me its a really good thing.

It doesnt take away my opinion that people shouldnt get animals in the first place if they are not able to take care of them financially!
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Snowy Sat May 07, 2011 12:02 am

Imagine how I feel, 4 weeks ago I had 42 rabbits Myxo vaccinated, this morning they all had their VHD vaccinations, just imagine my vets bill and I can't get anything free or help with any of the costs, I have to pay the same price as everyone else
Snowy
Snowy
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 6022
Registration date : 2008-07-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies Sat May 07, 2011 12:23 am

Snowy wrote:Imagine how I feel, 4 weeks ago I had 42 rabbits Myxo vaccinated, this morning they all had their VHD vaccinations, just imagine my vets bill and I can't get anything free or help with any of the costs, I have to pay the same price as everyone else

I can imagine Theo as we have 21 rabbits and that's expensive enough.

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 15875

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down