Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stewie seems a bit off food

+7
LilleJente
Happy Hoppers
LilyGrace
Tuckerbunnies
KatieB
SarahJane
Jay
11 posters

Go down

Stewie seems a bit off  food Empty Stewie seems a bit off food

Post by Jay Thu May 12, 2011 8:24 am

This is odd, cos I've not seen it before, but Stewie seems a bit reluctant to eat his meals at his set times. Normally in the morning, he'll bound in and get stuck straight in. The past few days he bounds in, looks at the food, has a nibble, then does the bunny 500, comes back has a nibble, then leaves it for a while. After he's been to the loo, he'll eat a bit more, and then about 1/2 an hour later, he'll finish it.
He is absolutely fit and bursting with energy, as usual, but just has this reticence to meal times.

He went for his Myxo jab yesterday and had a full check, and the vet spent a long time on his tummy and said there was nothing, it all felt very good and he was in no pain at all there. He's still eating plenty of hay and everything he normally does.

Things that have changed recently: I changed his pellets from SS to Burgess light over the last 2 weeks, he has no problem with the new ones, and was on Burgess when he came to us. He's been eating a bit of carpet and armchair recently, and he's been eating a lot of grass and wild forage too. I've cut back on the grass etc for now, just to see if that's causing it, but it's made no difference.

He had 3 of us at home for 2 weeks, all day, now we're back to work routine, and this does affect him, I saw it after the Christmas break, he gets quite grumpy .

I could easily be reading too much into this, because he does actually eat it all, just not with the gusto he always does.

Any thoughts?
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11365
Registration date : 2008-07-02

http://www.hoppingmad.org

Back to top Go down

Stewie seems a bit off  food Empty Re: Stewie seems a bit off food

Post by SarahJane Thu May 12, 2011 8:58 am

Hmm,
I have found quite often that single buns do do this, maybe he just feels comfortable enough to leave his food and then come back and get some more? I remember when Peanut and Jelly were single buns and they would eat like that, and then as soon as they were bonded they became little guzzlers.

or he is punishing you for leaving him Suspect
SarahJane
SarahJane
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 6018
Registration date : 2008-07-01

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Thu May 12, 2011 9:16 am

Daisy does this Jay as you know, but then he is an odd'un.

I find any change in routine does affect him though, and it takes him a little while to get back into the swing of things again. Perhaps thats it?

Could he have any teeth issues going on? Im sure the vet would have checked these anyway.

Hope he is okay.

Kx

PS. Love the way you mention he is eating plenty of carpet and sofa, like this is part of his diet.....pmsl Laughing
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Thu May 12, 2011 9:26 am

I was gonna say 'He's doing a Daisy' Embarassed but it's not quite that severe.... Wink
Yeah, he's deffo not happy about us going back to work, although he only ever spends max 2 hours on his own, as I'm in & out all day.

I don't think it's his teeth, because he is eating everything, just over a longer period.

Thanks for replies so far Smile
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by SarahJane Thu May 12, 2011 10:15 am

Jelly sometimes has phases where if shes in a mood she wont eat. and its not stasis, shes just being moody. and then shes normal again.

how do these buns have such a hold over us? Love
SarahJane
SarahJane
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 6018
Registration date : 2008-07-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies Thu May 12, 2011 10:31 am

Do you think his Myxo jab yesterday has upset him I know with a few of our's they don't don't seem to eat much at after their jabs and are a little off.

Hope Stewie is not poorly and just having an off day xxxx

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 15875

Back to top Go down

Post by LilyGrace Thu May 12, 2011 12:15 pm

When Luna was super moody a couple of days ago she was not really interested in eating hay...would eat like two bits and then wander off...but was still very energetic ...she just seemed a bit fed up of everything..is back to normal now though. Perhaps it does just go hand in hand with being a bit of a grump
LilyGrace
LilyGrace
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2274
Registration date : 2010-07-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Happy Hoppers Thu May 12, 2011 12:19 pm

First thought is teeth, as always. Second, has there been a change in temperature in the house with the good weather? Mine tend to nibble when the ambient temperature increases rather than gobble.
Happy Hoppers
Happy Hoppers
Admin

Number of posts : 6477
Registration date : 2008-06-14

http://happyhoppers.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Thu May 12, 2011 12:20 pm

I do think its more likely that it's a grump, but as we haven't had a grump before, I thought it best to check Laughing
Tuckerbunnies wrote:Do you think his Myxo jab yesterday has upset him I know with a few of our's they don't don't seem to eat much at after their jabs and are a little off.
Normally I'd think this, but the jab was yesterday, and this grump thing has been going on for 3 days now - sorry, I should have made that clearer, but thank-you Smile
Sooz wrote:First thought is teeth, as always. Second, has there been a change in temperature in the house with the good weather? Mine tend to nibble when the ambient temperature increases rather than gobble.
Yeah I did think teeth, but would that mean there'd be certain things he wouldn't eat? I've not had any dental issues, so wouldn't know how that starts. He certainly isn't showing any signs of pain, and is eating everything he normally would, but just not as quickly.

He's outdoors most days, and the temperature has been fluctuating. I've just brought him some grass, dande's & plaintain & he gobbled them down - is it possible that he just prefers wild food, and is not so happy with veg now that he's got used to it? (the wild food)
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by LilleJente Thu May 12, 2011 3:51 pm

I found my bunnies go through *hunger phases* Missy and Timmy were the worst, but I find it happens with the in door bunnies too. There are weeks where they scoff the lot as fast as possible, and the the next few weeks they arn't too bothered, then they go back to scoffing, I often reduce their food slightly if they don't scoff it, when they do start scoffing, I increase it back up. I've quit worrying about eating habbits unless they refuse to take the first bite, thats the que that something is up for my lot.
LilleJente
LilleJente
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1273
Registration date : 2008-09-22

http://www.four-legs-good.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by Amelia66 Thu May 12, 2011 5:57 pm

Marshall has done this recently too, used to guzzle his pellets then started eating a few and then coming to watch me and eating the rest later. He may just feel comfortable that no one is going to steal his food, or as others have said hes having a bunny strop. Im sure as hes still eating/drinking/toileting and happy in himself nothing is wrong and you should probably just keep an eye on him to make sure he is still finishing everything, no matter how long it takes.
Amelia66
Amelia66
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1789
Registration date : 2011-02-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Happy Hoppers Thu May 12, 2011 6:52 pm

Are some of the pellets being left half eaten? Like bitten in half or in pieces?
Happy Hoppers
Happy Hoppers
Admin

Number of posts : 6477
Registration date : 2008-06-14

http://happyhoppers.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Thumper2001 Thu May 12, 2011 7:18 pm

Thumper never eats her food all in one go. I think she likes to keep some for later in case she gets peckish!

Could this be spring making him feel 'different'?

I think it does some funny things to Thumper. She's always a bit strange at the start of spring.
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Number of posts : 13766
Registration date : 2011-04-26

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Fri May 13, 2011 7:56 am

How is he today? Is he still doing the same??
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Fri May 13, 2011 7:58 am

He's back to normal this morning...but I just ave this strange feeling that we're not out of the woods yet. Yesterday he was making some odd movements, really skittish, as if he could see something that was frightening him, and he was shaking his head a fair bit scratch
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Fri May 13, 2011 8:24 am

Have you checked his ears in case he could have got mites? It has been so warm recently.
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Number of posts : 14530
Registration date : 2008-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Fri May 13, 2011 8:26 am

Yeah i did check them this morning, got a halogen in them, and sniffed them to see if there was infection, but couldn't see/smell anything. I'm gonna monitor him over the next few days, if we have a repeat of this, I'll prob take him to John. Thanks Smile
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies Sun May 15, 2011 1:10 pm

How is he today Jay? If it is any consolation, Mr Snuffles doesn't eat at set times either and never has, he eats a little and then keeps going back.

Please let us know how he gets on.

Hugs

Jo xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11948
Registration date : 2011-01-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Mon May 16, 2011 8:06 am

Thanks Jo, he's been fine since Friday, back to normal self. I found a patch of carpet missing in the office, hidden behind a chair, and suspect that he's digested some of it.. Rolling Eyes
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies Mon May 16, 2011 1:48 pm

I am so glad he is better Jay and you are very welcome, I love to hear about friends' bunnies. He is a naughty boy; Mr Snuffles devastated a few carpets when he was younger so now we have vinyl, which I don't think is as cosy, but I would rather have bunnies than carpets.

Do you think that is why he was off his food, or had he chewed the carpet since feeling better?

Hugs

Jo xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11948
Registration date : 2011-01-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies Mon May 16, 2011 3:29 pm

Glad to hear Stewie is feeling much better Very Happy

Tuckerbunnies