Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Luna isn't eating *UD, fine now!*

+5
Nicola1
KatieB
Jay
Ruffin
LilyGrace
9 posters

Go down

Luna isn't eating *UD, fine now!* Empty Luna isn't eating *UD, fine now!*

Post by LilyGrace Mon May 16, 2011 5:35 am

She won't touch anything, normally she goes mad for her morning pellets but she is just sitting there, I've tried giving her a few different things and she just puts her head down and then walks off. This has never happened with her before, she was fine last night, she had some spinach same as thistle and they had one pellet each and I gave them some hay before I went to sleep. I've no idea if she's eaten through the night as some of the hay has gone but it cldve been Thistle. I don't know if she has drank a lot either Sad. Nothing out of the ordinary has happened and I keep searching my memory and worrying it is something I've done. I have to go to the cat rescue this morning but I don't want to leave her, going to try and call the vets asap!

Last edited by LilyGrace on Mon May 16, 2011 9:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
LilyGrace
LilyGrace
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2274
Registration date : 2010-07-17

Back to top Go down

Luna isn't eating *UD, fine now!* Empty Re: Luna isn't eating *UD, fine now!*

Post by Ruffin Mon May 16, 2011 6:21 am

[b]Poor Luna I have just put a thread on as Ruffs has stopped eating I also am waiting to phone the vets let us know how Luna is Sad
Ruffin
Ruffin
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1122
Registration date : 2010-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Mon May 16, 2011 7:54 am

Poor Luna, sounds like she's having GI slow down, but if she isn't listless and limp, then it's not been too long. If she's going into stasis, she needs to get to the vet for a shot of metoclopramide, and they should give her some pain relief too, and you may get some metacam to bring home with you.

In the meantime, try and get her to move around. If she'll let you, massage her abdomen, if she reacts badly to that, she'll be in pain.

She'll be given some recovery food too, and you should try to stay calm, stress isn't a good helper, difficult I know. This can happen completely out of the blue, and is unlikley to be anything you've done.

There's a very good piece on stasis here.

Keep us updated, lots of vibes for you both Hugs
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11365
Registration date : 2008-07-02

http://www.hoppingmad.org

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Mon May 16, 2011 8:15 am

Sending vibes for her honey, and hugs for you.

Keep us updated hun x x
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by LilyGrace Mon May 16, 2011 9:56 am

Thanks everyone...It's weird like half an hour later she started eating again, like totally normal, sorry I didn't update sooner as I had to go back to sleep for a couple of hours. I rubbed her tummy for a bit and then she had two pellets and then after a while she had a couple of handfulls and half a carrot and then drank loads of water, she got really lively again - bounding around and waking me up for more food and seems fine now. I need to get some more hay and give it to them before I go out, so I'm going to see what happens then. Do you think this sounds like she is okay again? Or could she go down hill really quickly later? I don't want to stress her out by taking her to the vets if she is good now in case it brings it on again.
LilyGrace
LilyGrace
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by LilyGrace Mon May 16, 2011 9:57 am

Ruffin wrote:[b]Poor Luna I have just put a thread on as Ruffs has stopped eating I also am waiting to phone the vets let us know how Luna is Sad

Oh no I hope Ruffin is okay too Sad, these silly buns like to scare us a lot don't they
LilyGrace
LilyGrace
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Nicola1 Mon May 16, 2011 10:27 am

I would give your vet a quick ring. How did her tummy feel? If it was hard it could have been bloat and the tummy rub may have helped, Harvey has had a few bloat episodes now and we normally get him some metacam and metaclopramide, give him lots of tummy rubs and he comes round within a couple of hours.
Nicola1
Nicola1
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 386
Registration date : 2011-04-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Mon May 16, 2011 10:44 am

mmm, I wonder if it was just a blockage that's unblocked? Has she been grooming and is she moulting a t the mo, or been chewing carpet?

Is she pooing/weeing and drinking at the mo?

I'd suggest that you keep offering of her food, peroidically, if she shows any signs of disinterest, get her to the vet, and I would call anyway if only for peace of mind.
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by wizbit Mon May 16, 2011 1:02 pm

These buns are a worry aren't they Rolling Eyes

It's great to hear that she's eating and drinking again though. I have had similar scenarios with Bertie and Daisy, I think sometimes they get a bit of wind and a tummy ache. It might be worth just letting the vet have a feel to make sure there isn't any blockage and that all is normal - see how she goes, I always take my lead from them and if they seem happy and normal then it's probably just a little blip.

As Jay said, is she moulting cos Oscar gets a bit like that when he's moulting. Will she eat fresh pineapple as that is good to help things move through.

wizbit
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 220
Registration date : 2011-03-03

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Mon May 16, 2011 1:10 pm

Id give the vet a call hun, with her funny mood last week and now this, it might be worth just seeing what the vet things just in case there is something bothering her.

Thing is hun, you know her better than anyone, I always say this to people but bunny mums (and dads) know their buns best and you should go with your gut instinct.

Sending you hugs x x
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Mon May 16, 2011 1:31 pm

One other thing, are her poos hard and small? This would indicate a gut slow down, and you will need to keep an eye on them, if they get to normal size, it may just be a blip. I would give her some ProBiotics, and even syringe some water into her, as dehydration is a key factor to stasis.

Hope she's ok Smile Nowadays I err on the side of caution, I learned a very hard lesson by leaving Bertie too long.
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies Mon May 16, 2011 3:19 pm

Hope Luna is improving sending her lots of Vibes xxxxx

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 15875

Back to top Go down

Post by LilyGrace Mon May 16, 2011 6:05 pm

Thanks for all the advice! I can't find any tiny poos in their cage, it's a bit hard to tell which are hers because of Thistle too! She does chew the carpet AND she's moulting Rolling Eyes Very lively atm and has also had half a banana some mint and a bit of spinach and some hay. I was out longer than I expected at the cat rescue, but got back asap to monitor her! I will pop up the road and get her some fresh pineapple, brush her and massage her a bit more. Where wld I get ProBiotics from Jay? I have seen her drinking a lot so I think we are okay on that side of things. Infact she is having a drink now Smile, as she drinks out of a bowl and Thistle drinks out of the bottle I can easily monitor how much both of them has been drinking.

Gosh I'm so glad I have you guys to get advice from! It is such a huge support I hope you all know that. If she does this again tomorrow morning, or in fact any other day soon she will be going STRAIGHT to the vets even if she starts eating again after. I will clean out their litter trays so they are empty and then I can best tell who's poos are whos! Smile
LilyGrace
LilyGrace
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Ruffin Mon May 16, 2011 6:25 pm

[b]Realy glad Luna is feeling better they dont half scare us little monsters Smile
Ruffin
Ruffin
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1122
Registration date : 2010-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Mon May 16, 2011 8:12 pm

Gloria was a ****** for having a bit of 12 hour stasis. Then she would miraculously recover as if nothing had happened. If she is drinking lots that is a good sign as it means that nothing is getting impacted inside through lack of water. If you give her pineapple, it must be fresh pineapple not concentrate because concentrate is heat treated and that kills the enzyme that helps digestion.

Hope she continues to recover and you can get some dye for your by now grey hair! Laughing
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Number of posts : 14530
Registration date : 2008-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by LilyGrace Mon May 16, 2011 8:31 pm

Yep we got fresh pineapple Smile...they are currently outside running about, so I will give it to her when I birng them in. Those stroppy madams do like to scare us indeed.

Yes, if I develop grey hairs early it will defo be because of these two rascals Laughing
LilyGrace
LilyGrace
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by wizbit Tue May 17, 2011 8:09 am

I'm really glad to hear that Luna is doing well. Very Happy

wizbit
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 220
Registration date : 2011-03-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Tue May 17, 2011 8:55 am

You can get Pro Biotics from the vet - Bio Lapis - comes in sachets, and mine love the stuff. You can also get it from pet stores, I think P@H do one called Pro C.

Stasis tends to be more of a symptom of something else than a condition on it's own. I suspect Luna had a blockage, fur or carpet. You'll need to keep an eye on her, cos it could happen again. It's really tricky because one stasis incident could be cos of hair, and another cos of something else.

I'm really glad she's ok, that was abit of a scare and there seems to be a few too many scares on here at the mo...
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by LilyGrace Tue May 17, 2011 10:32 am

Jay wrote:You can get Pro Biotics from the vet - Bio Lapis - comes in sachets, and mine love the stuff. You can also get it from pet stores, I think P@H do one called Pro C.

Stasis tends to be more of a symptom of something else than a condition on it's own. I suspect Luna had a blockage, fur or carpet. You'll need to keep an eye on her, cos it could happen again. It's really tricky because one stasis incident could be cos of hair, and another cos of something else.

I'm really glad she's ok, that was abit of a scare and there seems to be a few too many scares on here at the mo...

Thank you Smile I shall get some for the future. I know, there's a lot of poorly rabbits around atm, it's quite strange. I really did think something bad was going to happen because I've never seen her like that before, I'm just so lucky she perked up and got better so quickly.
LilyGrace
LilyGrace
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies Tue May 17, 2011 1:08 pm

I am so glad she is better love.

Hugs

Jo xx