Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

VHD Vaccs

+3
Jay
Tuckerbunnies
Fliss&Penelope
7 posters

Go down

VHD Vaccs Empty VHD Vaccs

Post by Fliss&Penelope Tue May 17, 2011 3:39 pm

Hey,

Following on from other members posts on VHD vaccs that are Cylap based, I rang my vets today as Penelope is due to have hers on Friday.

They were really friendly about it, the vet even rang me back after surgery to tell me more as the receptionist wasn't as clued up.
I mentioned everything to them, and she said they stopped using the Cylap based vacc about six months ago following on from recent reports of the bad side effects. They use one that had the word 'lapin' in it, I'm not sure of the whole name. Does anybody know it?

But apparently the one they use has the same properties as the anivac based one, and they have not had anyone bring thier bun back with any bad side effects, (she rang off and researched it herself and called me back a few hours later) it is cheaper for the vets to use this one though she said as it comes in vials (?) of 5 which they have to use in a day, but the anivac is in 10 lots and if I wanted them to order that in, I'd have to pay £100+ on top of the usual vaccs fee for the ones they didn't use.

She is going to send me some info about it in the post, but from what she explained it all sounded okay.
Does anybody elese have experience with the 'lapin' strain version? If so, how did you bun react to it afterwards?

Fliss x

p.s - Special thanks to @Felix&Willow (Beki) for bringing it to my attention as I had no idea about the side effect trouble xx
Fliss&Penelope
Fliss&Penelope
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 69
Registration date : 2011-04-11

http://www.offbeatgirldesigns.co.uk

Back to top Go down

VHD Vaccs Empty Re: VHD Vaccs

Post by Tuckerbunnies Tue May 17, 2011 3:40 pm

That's brilliant Thumbs Up

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 15875

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Tue May 17, 2011 3:57 pm

Great that they haven't used Cylap, the Lapin one os called Lapinject, and does come in 5 doses in 1 vial (the dosage bottle) which is why some owners can pay for 5 doses in one go as it has to used in 24 hours once opened.

Lapinject is also based in a mineral oil, just like Cylap, but I don't know what the differences are, but there are much fewer side effects with it.

Anivac does not come in a 10 dose Vial - it comes in a pack of 10 vials, each with a single dose, so I suspect there has been a misunderstanding there.

If you want to contact them again about it ( do you have their e-mail?) you could refer them to the information on the 'news' section of Hopping Mad which gives the NOAH information for vets.

The same details for Anivac are on this link http://www.animalcare.ie/filedepository/documents/anivac%20datasheet.pdf

I know it's a bit scary questioning your vets, but I think they've misunderstood the Anivac info. Yes, they will have 9 doses left, but they can easily use those afterwards, however, it is their choice whether they are prepared to order them in for you or not.

Given the choice of only Cylap or Lapinject, go with Lapinject Smile

Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11365
Registration date : 2008-07-02

http://www.hoppingmad.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Felix&Willow Tue May 17, 2011 3:59 pm

Ah ur welcome! Yeh, lapinject is reported by the wise HH to be good like anivac, though others said lapinject was often more expensive and they had to pay for the whole bottle. .I suppose it depends which the vets order and how many rabbits they vaccinate. They sound so helpfull, how great of them to look into it all and get back to u! X
Felix&Willow
Felix&Willow
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1123
Registration date : 2011-04-12

Back to top Go down

Post by LilyGrace Tue May 17, 2011 6:43 pm

Your vets sound great! They were really helpful for you. Smile Can't really add anything useful here, good luck with the jabs!
LilyGrace
LilyGrace
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2274
Registration date : 2010-07-17

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Tue May 17, 2011 9:17 pm

Daisy has Lapinject after a bad reaction to cyclap and he is fine with it.

Sounds like you have a good vets there!

KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Tue May 17, 2011 10:16 pm

I contacted my vets who do still use Cylap and asked them for Lapinject, before I knew about Anivac. They were prepared to use Lapinject but only charge me the same as for Cylap which was good of them. At that time I had three buns so I suppose they thought they would be able to use the other two doses that day.

In the end, Anivac appeared before I needed the buns injected and I asked the vet to order that in instead. I was only charge the same as for Cylap, ie £18.00.

Lapinject comes in one vial which contains 5 doses. Once opened it has to be used that day. However, Anivac comes in 10 separate vials which can be stored in the same way as Cylap.

Give your vet a phone and gently corrrect them. I am sure as Jay has said, it is just a misunderstanding.
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Number of posts : 14530
Registration date : 2008-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Felix&Willow Wed May 18, 2011 12:50 pm

Jabs must be more expensive where I am, cost me £21 per bunny for the Cylap, and about the same for their mixi jabs Shocked
Felix&Willow
Felix&Willow
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1123
Registration date : 2011-04-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down