Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lavender, soothing?

2 posters

Go down

Lavender, soothing? Empty Lavender, soothing?

Post by LilyGrace Thu May 19, 2011 6:04 pm

I am wondering if I crush up some culinary lavender and mix it with some sudocrem it will be more soothing for Lunas hocks and maybe the lavender smell will be calming for her? I'm not totally sure of how much aromatherapy type things have an effect on rabbits. Do you think this would be a good idea? I know they can eat lavender, so I know it won't harm her in that sense. Thanks Smile

*edit*
http://www.rodneyrabbit.co.uk/pages/buystuff/oils.htm

I found this, I'm not taking it as gospel...and I'm not sure about using actual essential oils...but also thought in cases of stressed/nervous rabbits would a gentle massage using olive oil and crushed lavender be okay? I can't find much info on olive oil and rabbits...if it's harmful or not..any info would be helpful or just any opinions. They aren't stressed or nervous atm, but I'm quite interested in things like that. When I went to a festival last year me and my OH did an animal healing workshop and the lady talked a bit about aromatherapy and animals, but she mostly talked about dogs/horses.
LilyGrace
LilyGrace
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2274
Registration date : 2010-07-17

Back to top Go down

Lavender, soothing? Empty Re: Lavender, soothing?

Post by wizbit Fri May 20, 2011 8:39 am

Hiya

I don't see how this could hurt, as you say, they can actually eat lavendar so from that point of view it wouldn't matter... I guess the only thing is that if they like the taste of lavendar it could encourage them to lick off the sudocrem?

I am a great believer in trying alternatives especially herbs etc. I wish there was something else that worked as well as sudocrem but natural as I always fret about them licking it off....

wizbit
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 220
Registration date : 2011-03-03

Back to top Go down