Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Giving baby alfie antibiotics help!

+4
Snowy
KatieB
JoeyBunsMum
Katiekoo
8 posters

Go down

Giving baby alfie antibiotics help!  Empty Giving baby alfie antibiotics help!

Post by Katiekoo Sat Jun 18, 2011 2:51 pm

So alfie's been to the vets and has been given baytril. To be given 0.3ml daily orally. But it's a nightmare. He's only just getting used to being handled as it is with out me terrifying him. He had his first lot today and only managed to get him to have 0.2 as he kicked and wiggled like mad and was getting stressed out so I put him down. Poor lil bunny I've probably just shattered what little trust he had in me.

Anybody have any tips or advice for making this easier? For my rats I mix antibiotics with baby food and they lap up the lot. Please help

Thankyou, Katie xxx
Katiekoo
Katiekoo
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 67
Registration date : 2011-06-15

Back to top Go down

Giving baby alfie antibiotics help!  Empty Re: Giving baby alfie antibiotics help!

Post by JoeyBunsMum Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:23 pm

I think many of us have had the same problem, it's not nice giving your bun medicine, especially when they are young and you are trying to build up trust etc with them.

We gave up trying to syringe meds down Joey, it was a nightmare and he was freaked for about a week after. So we ended up mixing the medicine with his pellets.

Fran

JoeyBunsMum
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2784
Registration date : 2011-04-23

Back to top Go down

Giving baby alfie antibiotics help!  Empty Re: Giving baby alfie antibiotics help!

Post by Katiekoo Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:50 pm

Thanks Fran. Just mixed his last bit for the day with pellets and he's ate the lot. Perfect! Very helpful xxx
Katiekoo
Katiekoo
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Sat Jun 18, 2011 5:07 pm

hi Katie,

Sounds like you have found your answer - you just need to make sure he its them all - its really important he gets the whole of the baytril down him - little monkey.

We have the same problem with Daisy. He has baytril and getting it into him is a two person job. One to hold, the other to syringe. he wont take it on food at all.

The other thing you could try if he changes his mind about the food is to try a bunny sausage roll. Wrap him snugly in a towel and try that.,

Dont worry - he will forgive you, these buns are very good at making us feel guilty x x

Good luck hun

katie
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Katiekoo Sat Jun 18, 2011 5:52 pm

Lol yes he sat looking at me riggling his little pink Tongue out in disgust at the taste! Lol he ate all the nuggets and didn't seem to notice. I only mixed it with a few so I could make sure he was eating it all. Lucky he loves his nuggets so much! I like the bunny sausage roll, I might threaten him with that is he isn't a good boy with the antibiotics :-) he's still not talking to me now though the little monkey....untill tea time!

Thank you
Katie x
Katiekoo
Katiekoo
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Snowy Sat Jun 18, 2011 6:09 pm

The best way to give a bunny oral meds is to put him in a bunny burito, wrap a towel firmly around him so that just his head is poking out, insert the syringe in to the side of his mouth behind his front teeth, shouldn't take longer than 30 seconds

Good luck
Snowy
Snowy
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 6022
Registration date : 2008-07-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies Sat Jun 18, 2011 6:27 pm

This is how you make one https://youtu.be/t3okPKg9Fc8

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 15875

Back to top Go down

Post by Katiekoo Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:37 pm

Oh great that was super helpful thank you :-) how cute, a bunny burito

X
Katiekoo
Katiekoo
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Lottie Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:12 pm

Wrap him up in a towel, that does the trick. Smile

When Kenzo was on his meds for a long while he wasn't always patient enough to stand still for the two oral meds plus the injection, so most of the times that's what I did.

Good luck. Smile
Lottie
Lottie
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 669
Registration date : 2010-01-05

http://www.flickr.com/photos/milkyfactory/

Back to top Go down

Post by Jodie Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:00 am

Hi Katie,

I fostered my bunny when he was just five weeks old (Yes, I'm a failed foster carer, he's still here eight months later!). He was tiny and terrified of people as he'd been handled roughly and had a severely broken hind leg.

I had to give him painkillers, but didn't want to stress him out or break the trust I was working so hard to gain, so I cut a little piece of banana (Harley goes NUTS for banana) and made a little hole in it with a knife and put the meds in there. He inhaled it, and it was his daily treat while he was on meds. I never had any problems getting him to eat it, and the flavour and smell of the banana hid the meds really well.

Could be worth a try if Alfie loves banana and if he works out your current trick! Good luck. Smile
Jodie
Jodie
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 134
Registration date : 2011-04-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Katiekoo Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:08 pm

Hi Jodie. That's a great idea but Alfie hasn't started on fresh veg or fruit yet because he's 9 week old. Other wise I'd deffinatly give that a go. Mixing it in with abit of nuggets seems to be working to I think I'll stick at that :-) xxx
Katiekoo
Katiekoo
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Jodie Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:06 pm

Ah of course. Harley started backwards. Sad He was taken from his mum and fed vegie scraps. I had to wean him off them to settle his tummy! He did get tiny bits of banana though as it was the only way to get the meds in!

Glad it's working for you, Alfie is adorable. Smile
Jodie
Jodie
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 134
Registration date : 2011-04-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Velvet.Tears Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:56 pm

I'm lucky with mine if they have to have medication i put them down normal on the floor and put the syringe near there mouth and they automatically put there mouths over the syringe and I put there meds in.
Velvet.Tears
Velvet.Tears
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 5578
Registration date : 2010-08-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Katiekoo Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:47 am

Gosh your lucky! :-)

Thanks Jodie I love him loads. Poor little Harley. Least he had you to look after him

Xxx
Katiekoo
Katiekoo
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down