Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hair Cut?

3 posters

Go down

Hair Cut? Empty Hair Cut?

Post by buster Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:55 pm

Can somebody help me out? My bunny is moulting very heavily which I know happens at this time of year, but I feel brushing is not good enough this time and wondered if I could give him a hair cut. I am confident I could do it while keeping my rabbit calm and without causing him any damage, I'm just not sure if it may cause problems for the coat growing back in. Any thoughts?

buster
New Hopper
New Hopper

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2011-04-28

Back to top Go down

Hair Cut? Empty Re: Hair Cut?

Post by NickieM Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:49 pm

I think you are much better just letting him moult normally. Unless he is a rabbit with long-hair which is covering his face and making him too hot, you are better leaving alone.

Rabbits' coats have two kinds of hairs. Those closest to the skin acts as a kind of duvet and is coupled with longer coarser guard hairs which help to trap air to increase insulation. I think if you cut the coat too short, you could interfere with the normal moulting process and if your bun lives outside, you could cause it problems when it needs a thicker coat.

You need to just be prepared to brush a lot if you think the hair loss is very problematic.
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Number of posts : 14530
Registration date : 2008-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:40 pm

Sadly there seem's to be no end to a moulting bunny, you brush and brush and brush and wonder where it all comes from. Your best to just keep brushing everyday till the moult's over.

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 15875

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down