Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fly strike prevention

+2
Thumper2001
Felix&Willow
6 posters

Go down

Fly strike prevention Empty Fly strike prevention

Post by Felix&Willow Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:52 am

I havent actually seen the product 'rear guard' on my travels, though i went into our new local wilko's yesterday and they had 'fly-free' made by beaphar - any good? Is this effective do u know? They all have very clean abodes and bottoms but wanted to take an extra precaution.
Felix&Willow
Felix&Willow
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1123
Registration date : 2011-04-12

Back to top Go down

Fly strike prevention Empty Re: Fly strike prevention

Post by Thumper2001 Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:54 am

Is the active ingredient ivermectin? I have fly guard and that is the active ingredient in that. If yes, my vet told me that it doesn't do anything to repel the flies and his opinion is that it's not much use. But I've never had any problems with it.

And I asked a guy working at P@H what he knew about it and he said 'err, it works sometimes. If it doesn't work take it back and we will refund it' I was lost for words!

However, it doesn't get as hot here in Scotland and Thumper is a house bunny so there is a lesser risk.

Like I said, I've never had any problems with it but one thing I would stres is, if we are talking about the same king of product, mine says 'one application lasts up to 3 months'. No no no! My vet said if you had to use it then he would be applying it more often than that.

I've never seen rearguard anywhere either but I'm sure you can buy it online.

Hope this is some help lol.

Last edited by Thumpers Mum on Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:03 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : The usual iPhone nightmare!!!)
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Number of posts : 13766
Registration date : 2011-04-26

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:28 am

I know a lot of people use Rearguard, but I am wary of putting chemicals onto a bunny's skin - and it has to totally soak the fur so it gets to the skin. If you have a disabled bunny, or one who is prone to have a sticky bum or lots of fur that often gets dirty, then Rearguard is a good idea, but for the majority of buns who clean themselves really well, I am wary.

As long as you make sure you clean their litter trays every day, especially in hot weather, keep an eye on the consistency of their poops and have a check that they are clean underneath, the you probably don't need to add a layer of chemicals.

From the manufacturer's website http://www.noahcompendium.co.uk/Novartis_Animal_Health_UK_Ltd/documents/S3497.html

Rearguard does not repel flies but it will prevent any maggots from forming and damaging the animal. If the rabbit is continually attractive to flies, this may be due to an underlying disease e.g. diarrhoea or incontinence, or a lack of hygiene within its housing. In such cases further advice should be sought from your veterinary surgeon.
In cases of existing flystrike, adult maggots should be removed by mechanical means and appropriate supportive treatment given. Rearguard should then be applied to the fur to prevent development of new larvae and re-strike.
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Number of posts : 14530
Registration date : 2008-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies Sat Jul 16, 2011 12:42 pm

We don't use REARGUARD as we have heard of lot's of bunnies that have had reactions to it like their fur coming out, we ourselves have had bunnies and their fur has come out with this stuff .

We use 'Fly Free' by Beaphar
http://www.chemistdirect.co.uk/beaphar-fly-free_1_166132.html

and also

'Fly Guard' by Beaphar
http://www.chemistdirect.co.uk/beaphar-fly-guard_1_166133.html

We have had no problems with these two products so far so we are apt to stick to using them, but always carefully read the instructions before you use any fly repellant products.

Last edited by Tuckerbunnies on Sat Jul 16, 2011 1:57 pm; edited 1 time in total

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 15875

Back to top Go down

Post by Felix&Willow Sat Jul 16, 2011 1:51 pm

Ok brill, so I have bought the same stuff you use - glad I didnt get rear guard then! Just been to the vets and asked her too - apparently she uses it on her rabbits - see new thread for why I went to the vet Hmmm
Felix&Willow
Felix&Willow
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies Sat Jul 16, 2011 2:03 pm

Felix&Willow wrote:Ok brill, so I have bought the same stuff you use - glad I didnt get rear guard then! Just been to the vets and asked her too - apparently she uses it on her rabbits - see new thread for why I went to the vet Hmmm

Oh well maybe I'm wrong maybe our vet meant something else.

I think a lot of the time it's how these sprays are used, some people will just spray loads on the bunnies and this is not correct and can cause skin problems then for the poor rabbit, that's why it's so important to read the instructions with anything like that. Some bunnies have sensitive skin and so they have reactions to certain sprays.
Chloe that we used Rearguard on and Angel their fur came off in chunks were I had put the Rearguard on and I only used a little Sad

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Felix&Willow Sat Jul 16, 2011 2:09 pm

Tuckerbunnies wrote:
Felix&Willow wrote:Ok brill, so I have bought the same stuff you use - glad I didnt get rear guard then! Just been to the vets and asked her too - apparently she uses it on her rabbits - see new thread for why I went to the vet Hmmm

I think a lot of the time it's how these sprays are used, some people will just spray loads on the bunnies and this is not correct and can cause skin problems then for the poor rabbit, that's why it's so important to read the instructions with anything like that. Some bunnies have sensitive skin and so they have reactions to certain sprays.
Chloe that we used Rearguard on and Angel their fur came off in chunks were I had put the Rearguard on and I only used a little Sad

No sorry, vet uses the beaphar one, so she obviously think thats better too Wink
Felix&Willow
Felix&Willow
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Velvet.Tears Sat Jul 16, 2011 3:07 pm

I use the beaphur ones too.
Velvet.Tears
Velvet.Tears
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 5578
Registration date : 2010-08-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies Sat Jul 16, 2011 3:21 pm

Felix&Willow wrote:
Tuckerbunnies wrote:

No sorry, vet uses the beaphar one, so she obviously think thats better too Wink

Oh tha's good then Very Happy

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:53 am

Thanks for the links Maysie Wave
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper