Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Nethies

+2
KatieB
marleyNfriends
6 posters

Go down

Nethies Empty Nethies

Post by marleyNfriends Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:39 pm

Is it just me, or are Netherland Dwarfs generally less interested in people and more so in doing their own thing and causing trouble!?

I love Marley and Dolly to pieces, they come to me on a morning for their pellets and whenever they think theres a chance of getting something yummy, they dont mind the odd snuggle either, as long as its on their terms.

Skye on the other hand wants nothing to do with me! Fine if thats just how she is, i enjoy watching her explore and do her own thing, but not having a bunny friend yet and not being interested in humans must be so lonely for her! I feel like its affecting my bond with her Sad

I dont think its because shes nervous, shes more confident than Marley and Dolly ever were at her age, and shes currently sat on top of me eating my scarf! ...but if i dare touch her, she runs off and doesnt come back. Sometimes, if i try touch her she runs off binkying! Laughing

Just wondering if im doing something wrong, or if its just how she is. If thats just her, i can accept that.

ETA: Shes now hopping around my bed with my pen in her mouth ROFL
marleyNfriends
marleyNfriends
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 4163
Registration date : 2011-07-04

Back to top Go down

Nethies Empty Re: Nethies

Post by KatieB Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:46 pm

I think thats deffo nethies. I adore my boy - would move the world for him and while I know he loves his mummy, I am only permitted to give him affection on his terms.

He is very cheeky and very independent, he loves a head scratchy but he will never be a cuddle bum.

I think though - part of the reason I do love him so much is that he thinks for himself, and when he does come for loves....its because he has chosen to.

Skye sounds blimmin gorgeous and a really clever and independent girlie, you are lucky to have this time when its just the two of you to get to know her. x
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by marleyNfriends Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:54 pm

Katieb wrote:I think thats deffo nethies. I adore my boy - would move the world for him and while I know he loves his mummy, I am only permitted to give him affection on his terms.

He is very cheeky and very independent, he loves a head scratchy but he will never be a cuddle bum.

Sounds exactly like my 3, thats ok then! Smile I know Marley and Dolly love me really, but i think i just need to get to know Skye a bit more. Im sick of putting cream on her feet too, i doubt thats helping her build trust in me!
marleyNfriends
marleyNfriends
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Amelia66 Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:57 pm

I have to disagree. Marshall is a very human orientated bun, although this is mostly for food purposes. However, when food is not on his mind he will seek me out for play or just to generally be near me. When im home he will also position himself next to me, weather in the bunny toilet next to my computer or flopped out somewhere near me.

It maybe because marsh when i got him was terrified of everything and i turned into the ridder of the scary things. hes my big squishy chicken.

She may just be still bonding with you, i know marsh was always wary of hands. He used to come to investigate me but then as soon as i moved to touch him he would flee and hide lol im sure she will come round in time.
Amelia66
Amelia66
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1789
Registration date : 2011-02-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Velvet.Tears Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:03 pm

My 2 nethies are very independant however Rudy is a complete Daddys boy!
Velvet.Tears
Velvet.Tears
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 5578
Registration date : 2010-08-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:44 am

We have three Nethies and a Nethie Cross, the three Nethies Enya, Roly and Chudleigh Flint are all grumpy but if you pick Roly and Chudleigh up they become quite loving, Enya we haven't had as long as the other three and she is very nervous and would prefer it if you didn't touch her at all but I don't think she has had a good start (her owners left her behind in a hutch when they moved house). Nethie Cross Jamie is just loving and hasn't got a grumpy bone in her little body. Enya, Roly and Chudleigh Flint are all cheeky buns and Enya and Roly are partners in crime Very Happy

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 15875

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:06 am

Nethie's have compromised sensory perception because of their unusual and 'created' shape. As prey animals, they expect to be able to see 360 degrees (excpet for blind spots immediately infront and behind) and they expect to be able to turn their ears in any direction to be able to hear a wide aural range, but Nethie's can't do either of these things properly - their eyes are in the wrong place and their ears are tiny - so they are certainly less relaxed than most other rabbits, and easy to startle. Because of this, many of them can be hyper cautious, and won't let owners stroke/pet them etc unless they ask for it .
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11365
Registration date : 2008-07-02

http://www.hoppingmad.org

Back to top Go down

Post by marleyNfriends Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:30 am

Jay wrote:Nethie's have compromised sensory perception because of their unusual and 'created' shape. As prey animals, they expect to be able to see 360 degrees (excpet for blind spots immediately infront and behind) and they expect to be able to turn their ears in any direction to be able to hear a wide aural range, but Nethie's can't do either of these things properly - their eyes are in the wrong place and their ears are tiny - so they are certainly less relaxed than most other rabbits, and easy to startle. Because of this, many of them can be hyper cautious, and won't let owners stroke/pet them etc unless they ask for it .

Thanks, Jay.I knew their sensory perception was compromised, but didnt realise it was to that extent!

Im sure its probably a combination of both (see previous posts), and last night i was tired and got frustrated with her. Its becoming a bit of a battle to get the sudocream on her feet, and im always at the recieving end of her nips, kicks and scratches. I know its not her fault though, she just doesnt understnad, and i probably sound really pathetic for moaning about it! Then she started being cheeky and cute again and it was all ok.

I also think the confidence of your rabbits is partly down to where they live. Marley and Dolly are much more confident and relaxed when they are in the house, but my parents wont allow them to be indoors permenantly. Dolly seeks me out for food and occasional head rubs, but Marley seeks me for piggy backs and to use me as a climbing frame! Laughing Love
marleyNfriends
marleyNfriends
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down