Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hello from me and my temporary house guest

+5
SarahJane
Velvet.Tears
KatieB
NickieM
iiisecondcreep
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Hello from me and my temporary house guest Empty Hello from me and my temporary house guest

Post by iiisecondcreep Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:11 pm

Hello,

Yesterday I found myself with a rescue rabbit in my care. She is about 5yrs old and for the last few years she had been kept alone in a hutch that was in a dark shed with very little natural light. She was cleaned out once in approx the last 2 years. She was fed entirely on horse feed, rarely ever got fresh water and little/no interaction from her owners and never let out. Her toe nails were also badly overgrown (picture)

I would love to keep her but unfortunately I am not in a position to offer her a forever home Sad

I've got her in a dog cage with a plastic tray base, its a bit small for her but its the best I've got. I've put newspaper down in the cage, given her a box for a bed/hide, shredded newspaper to make a bed out of, hay to make a bed with/eat and water in a dish. I got her some chew things and a treat ball from the shop which she hasn't touched yet, i don't know if this is because she is nervous or because she hasn't had these sorts of things in so long. I got her Burgess Excel Rabbit Nuggets for food. I've also picked her leaves from outside (grass and dandelions) and given her some veg (curly kale and broccolli).

Today I took her to the vet and had her nails trimmed, teeth checked (slight jagged edges on one side but not causing discomfort/problems at this time), myxi vaccination and general health check. The vet said she had slight urine scald but now that she's on clean bedding she should start to clean herself up. She's shy but not aggressive or grumpy in the slightest, the vet was surprised by how quiet she was, even in her box.

I know the person who had her before the last owners and have found out that unfortunately she's not spayed.

The vet is passing my details onto someone who fosters rabbits, and I have been in touch with someone who knows a few rescues. If anyone could recommend a rescue in the central scotland area in case these are full I would appreciate it.

Anyway, here she is:

Hello from me and my temporary house guest IMG_0966Medium
iiisecondcreep
iiisecondcreep
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1595
Registration date : 2011-07-20

Back to top Go down

Hello from me and my temporary house guest Empty Re: Hello from me and my temporary house guest

Post by NickieM Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:04 pm

Fife Rabbit Rescue is the only rescue that I know of and Kareen who runs it is very knowledgeable and kind.

You are doing a great kindless by just getting her out of that situation and even if you can't keep her, by getting her into a rescue where she will be rehomed properly is a good compromise.

You might need to be careful about introducing too many different foods to her especially the greens. Give her a little of a new food and monitor her poops as too much greens could make her have loose motions.

She is a lucky girl and a very pretty lady. I'm sure she will have a new home soon.
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Number of posts : 14530
Registration date : 2008-08-13

Back to top Go down

Hello from me and my temporary house guest Empty Re: Hello from me and my temporary house guest

Post by KatieB Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:22 pm

hi There,

Welcome to HH x

Well done you for saving this girl from such an awful life - you have done a wonderful thing. From her - a big great thank you!

I dont know how people can do this to any animal let alone such a beautiful little girl.

If there is anything we can help with please let us know, I hope she finds a forever home soon.

Katie x x

KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Velvet.Tears Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:54 pm

She is so gorgeous!! And she looks like a cheeky madame too!! Welcome to HH and well done for saving her.
Velvet.Tears
Velvet.Tears
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 5578
Registration date : 2010-08-20

Back to top Go down

Post by SarahJane Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:25 pm

She is adorable, well done for saving her Love
SarahJane
SarahJane
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 6018
Registration date : 2008-07-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Felix&Willow Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:50 pm

She is beautifull Love Love Very very well done to you - you have done so much for her -as Katie said, thank you on behalf of this little lion head beauty Hugs
Felix&Willow
Felix&Willow
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1123
Registration date : 2011-04-12

Back to top Go down

Post by iiisecondcreep Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:23 pm

Thanks so much everyone, she really is gorgeous. Its amazing that despite being totally neglected for the last 2 years she is still such a sweet bun. She's very shy but when I've had to pick her up she doesn't struggle at all, she was the same at the vet when they were handling her. Hopefully I will get the chance to see her come out of her shell a bit before she goes to her new home.

Sometimes when I talk to her she gently grinds her teeth a little bit, like she's talking back to me. I read somewhere this is rabbit purring?
She looked like she was nodding off at the time so I don't think she was panicking.

I would love to be able to keep her, but we do not have the space or the time to give her the care and attention she deserves Sad

NickieM wrote:Fife Rabbit Rescue is the only rescue that I know of and Kareen who runs it is very knowledgeable and kind.

You are doing a great kindless by just getting her out of that situation and even if you can't keep her, by getting her into a rescue where she will be rehomed properly is a good compromise.

You might need to be careful about introducing too many different foods to her especially the greens. Give her a little of a new food and monitor her poops as too much greens could make her have loose motions.

She is a lucky girl and a very pretty lady. I'm sure she will have a new home soon.

Fife rabbit rescue was recommended to me by someone else, its a bit further than I had hoped to travel (about an hour)as the car journeys are quite stressful for her but I would prefer to go further to get her the best possible care. I will send Kareen an email.

Thanks for the feeding advice, I have read not too change the food too quickly but for the last few weeks all she has been fed is oats (for horses, before that she was fed on mix) which I don't have so I thought it would be best just to give her proper rabbit food. Will this be ok? I'd been giving her greens/leaves whenever I could for the last few months so its not completely new to her, how much should I be giving her now? I don't want to give her an upset tummy Sad
I will keep an eye on her droppings to make sure they look ok. They looked ok when I cleaned her out this afternoon.
Since yesterday she's had: 2 small handfuls of kale, one small floret of broccoli and a handful of dandelion leaves. Is this ok or should i cut down a bit?
She's eaten about 2 handfulls of the rabbit food I got, and she has hay to eat all the time.

Also before I got her I was giving her barley rings (also for horses) the reason i gave her these is because they are hard and she had nothing to chew so I thought they would help her teeth. I have brought some of these home to give her along with the rabbit food. I have tied some on bits of string and hung them from the top of the cage which also have some chew things tied to them, so hopefully this will provide her with some entertainment and encourage her to chew the chew things.
iiisecondcreep
iiisecondcreep
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:28 pm

I think you are doing a wonderful job and all the right things. Good luck with the Rabbit Rescue x x
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Felix&Willow Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:38 pm

She sounds alot like my Rory! He tooth purrs and is extremely loving despite comming from bad circumstances - she is precious! Love
Felix&Willow
Felix&Willow
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:52 pm

Sounds like you are doing just fine. The teeth grinding when you stroke her is her showing that she is happy.

As for the food, she seems to be managing OK with what you are giving her. If you change a rabbit's food completely and added a lot of greenstuffs that she isn't used to it can be problematic. As long as you keep an eye on her output she seems to be managing just great.

I have heard of people giving their rabbits barley rings before so that isn't a problem.

You could suggest to Kareen that she meets you halfway so that neither of you have a long journey.
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by iiisecondcreep Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:46 am

Just cleaned her out again and I can hear her busy arranging things, pulling up newspaper and ripping/eating it. I can see the corner of the cage from where I am sitting and I keep seeing bits of newspaper being thrown about. I guess this is a good sign Smile

I sent Kareen at Fife Rabbit Rescue this morning, hopefully bunny will have a new home soon.

I don't mind the travel to fife it was more for the rabbits sake as she has found the car journeys so far very stressful but if it will get her the best home then it will be worth it.

I just went in to rescue her water and food dish from her rampage and she went back into her box, but as I was trying to remove the wet bits of paper she came out and starting throwing/chewing paper Smile
She went back into her box after a few minutes but it was nice that she felt confident enough to be out with me there even if for just a minute Smile
iiisecondcreep
iiisecondcreep
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Felix&Willow Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:26 am

Is there anyway you could keep her? sounds to me like you are falling in love with her? Very Happy
Felix&Willow
Felix&Willow
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by iiisecondcreep Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:37 am

Felix&Willow wrote:Is there anyway you could keep her? sounds to me like you are falling in love with her? Very Happy

Unnfortunately not, we both work full time so we would need to get another rabbit to keep her company and we really don't have space for a cage big enough for one rabbit never mind two. I would love to be able to keep her and see her settle down and be happy but I want what is best for her and sadly that is not staying with me Sad
iiisecondcreep
iiisecondcreep
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Felix&Willow Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:14 pm

Thats a shame - though did you know... alot of people find a dig crate an ideal 'bed' for a bunny, and as they are easily litter trained, she could 'free range' in your house...? Also, she cant be paired up untill she is spayed, so it would be a while yet, she would need her Jabs and for the vet to be sure she was well enough to have it done - then a few weeks recovery - then the search for a friend to be bonded with, also the slim possibilty that she wont like other rabbits - your home might be the ideal one. Dont mean to twist your arm - just adore my 3 and 6 mnths ago i knew nothing and didnt think i could be a good bunny mum - now I wouldnt be without them and I know they are very happy and well looked after. I work fulltime too, my girls have a big hutch and run combo in the garden, but Rory is in a cage indoors and has lots of free range time - he will be completley free range when he is neutured and well again. This little girl reminds me of Rory, and he is truly the best thing since sliced bread. Sounds to me like you are doing a great job with her and whether you change your mind and keep her or not, you have done an amazing thing fo her Smile (p.s you could get a run for the garden or a dog pen for the house he he)
Felix&Willow
Felix&Willow
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Thumper2001 Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:13 pm

Hi Wave

What a great thing you have done for this little lady. She is very lucky to have found you.

Looking forward to hearing a happy ending to this story Smile
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Number of posts : 13766
Registration date : 2011-04-26

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:31 pm

It sounds like she is feeling happy - how completely lovely.

You know - you shouldnt feel pressured into keeping her, but by the same token you shouldnt feel that you would be letting her down by keeping her either.

Yes - there is a perfect ideal for buns - but there are also a whole lot of happy buns that are on their own as single house buns too.

Yes they need space and yes they need the right diet etc - but what they need more than anything is someone to love them and care enough about their needs.

A dog crate is actually a great place for a bun to live. If its in a small space - by popping in a litter tray and a hay rack, already mess is reduced and space saved. Also the door can be left open for free ranging whenever someone is at home.

Its always good for a bun to have a friend - but in reality we cannot always do this. I have a single house bun, and he is bonded to me. We both work full time but he has free range of the house and spends the mornings and evenings with us - if he chooses to (and sometimes he chooses not to be). He isnt neglected and he is very happy.

You need to do whatever is best for you at the end of the day - all I am saying is dont discount yourself as not being able to give her the best because from what I have heard from you so far, she is getting that already.

Here is the thread about how my little man lives.

Whatever you decide to do we are here with you for support and guidance - and if she goes to rescue you are always welcome to stick around, if she doesnt then we can help you along the way x x x

https://happyhoppers.forumotion.co.uk/t11109-this-is-where-i-live?highlight=where+I+live

KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:38 pm

Good advice above ^^

Whatever you decide to do, you have saved her from a horrible situation and for that you should be pleased with yourself, regardless of where she ends up. She will have a much better future now. Thumbs Up
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:20 pm

Welcome to HH and thank you for rescuing her. Some people should be tarred and feathered - No attention, no cleaning out; it makes me fume.

Hugs

Jo xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11948
Registration date : 2011-01-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:29 pm

Hi & Welcome to HH Wave

Well done for rescuing her she is absolutely beautiful most unsual markings and she look's so contented Love Love

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 15875

Back to top Go down

Post by iiisecondcreep Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:02 pm

Thanks guys. I'm not sure my OH would let me keep her anyway (I've tried persuading him several times in the past to get a pet mammal but he's not for it at all, although he does like this bunny). Another issue is I've just finished uni and have taken 10weeks off before going back to work, I'm hoping to spend most of this time in America and I'm looking at leaving early next week, so its not even like I'll be around for the next while.

She has pulled up all the newspaper I layed down and has mostly ripped it to bits. I guess she didn't like the way I put it!

Here are some pictures of her ripping the newspaper to shreds. She continued to rip happily even though the door was open and I was there Smile
(edit: I hope this ripping is a good thing?)

I think she might have been playing... i moved some of the paper and she would immediately grab it and throw it somewhere else, she did the same with her treat ball and toilet roll tube.
Also, how do I know the difference between a playful nip and a 'leave me alone' nip because I had to go in and catch an escapee cricket and she nipped my finger. It didn't hurt but she jumped back into her hide and stayed there for a while after doing it :\

Anyway, pics
Hello from me and my temporary house guest DSC00403Medium

Hello from me and my temporary house guest DSC00404Medium

Note nose peeking out from the box
Hello from me and my temporary house guest DSC00405Medium

She is now sitting like this and is letting me stroke her without running away Very Happy
(she put the bit of newspaper outside the cage)
Hello from me and my temporary house guest DSC00407Medium
iiisecondcreep
iiisecondcreep
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:15 pm

She is deffo playing hun - bless her heart can only imagine how exciting all this new stuff is for her. Sounds like she is coming on leaps and bounds.

Sounds like she scared herself when she nipped you. I would imagine that she gets very frightened very easily so prob nipped without realising it. Bless her it must be hard for her to know how to interact after being neglected for so long. She is learning how to be a bun at the moment and must be very confused. (but happy). I dont think she meant to, x
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by iiisecondcreep Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:21 pm

Ok thanks, i just needed to know that she was having fun and I wasn't annoying or upsetting her! She is taking more interest in her surroundings, I'm leaving the cage door open I'm hoping this will make her less nervous of being in an open space, she hasn't ventured out yet but she has stuck her nose out and had a sniff and seems to quite like throwing things out the door.

I've just spoke to Kareen at Fife Rabbit Rescue and unfortunately she is completely full Sad

I will try calling some other rescue places, most seem to be dog rescues that also take rabbits. I hope I find someplace good for her Sad
iiisecondcreep
iiisecondcreep
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:02 pm

Oh no - you are going away next week arnt you? God I just dont know what else to suggest.

This poor girlie - she sounds so wonderful and is finally building some trust and is starting to learn to be a bun.

I hope someone can help. Have you tried calling the RSPCA - they may have a fosterer network that can help?

KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:15 pm

Any luck?

KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies Sat Jul 23, 2011 12:40 am

Oh this is so sad Sad

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 15875

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next