Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is it possible to gather too much forage? lol

+3
Tuckerbunnies
NickieM
marleyNfriends
7 posters

Go down

Is it possible to gather too much forage? lol Empty Is it possible to gather too much forage? lol

Post by marleyNfriends Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:39 pm

Because i think i did on Tuesday! My friend and i decided we would go and get a load of stuff while we walked the dogs - we were very careful where we picked it from and washed it all thoroughly.

I have 3 nethies, and came back with a couple of kilos of food! I cant imagine how much we gathered between us!

I got Clover, Plantain (the big leaves and the long skinny ones + the flowers), Goosegrass, Hawthorne, Dandelions and Brambles. I offered Skye some plantain and its the first time shes willingly taken food from my hand! Very Happy Shes very picky with her veg, so maybe doing this is a good alternative. Will save me a fortune and i can get fit while i do it Very Happy
marleyNfriends
marleyNfriends
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 4163
Registration date : 2011-07-04

Back to top Go down

Is it possible to gather too much forage? lol Empty Re: Is it possible to gather too much forage? lol

Post by NickieM Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:38 pm

Ha ha. I usually do this on my way home from work and find myself walking along the street with clumps of dandelions and other forage stuff. Neighbours must think I am mad! (Which, of course, I am Laughing Laughing but sssshhh don't tell anyone)
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Number of posts : 14530
Registration date : 2008-08-13

Back to top Go down

Is it possible to gather too much forage? lol Empty Re: Is it possible to gather too much forage? lol

Post by Tuckerbunnies Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:46 am

I often wonder what the neighbour thinks if they look in our garden and see all the plant pots full of dandelion leaves Laughing Laughing

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 15875

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:59 am

Sounds fabulous - daisy loved pear leaves and branches and im also cutting him clover from the garden too x x
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by marleyNfriends Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:13 pm

NickieM wrote:Ha ha. I usually do this on my way home from work and find myself walking along the street with clumps of dandelions and other forage stuff. Neighbours must think I am mad! (Which, of course, I am Laughing Laughing but sssshhh don't tell anyone)
I think we all are in some way! As two young girls, imagine how strange we looked with our gardening gloves and seceteurs (sp?) rustling away in the bushes when people went past! Laughing Ruined a perfectly good pair of UGG boots in the process, how was i to know wed end up going 5 miles in rain and thunder! Laughing
Tuckerbunnies wrote:I often wonder what the neighbour thinks if they look in our garden and see all the plant pots full of dandelion leaves Laughing Laughing
This is why my parents wouldnt let me grow plantain and dandelions, they said we look crazy enough as it is Razz
Katieb wrote:Sounds fabulous - daisy loved pear leaves and branches and im also cutting him clover from the garden too x x
None of mine have ever tried pear, of leaves/branches. They love apple leaves and branches though, my friend cut some down off her mums tree! I grow a few things of my own too, i did another thread somewhere - asking for help.
marleyNfriends
marleyNfriends
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by SarahJane Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:54 pm

That sounds AMAZING! lucky buns!
SarahJane
SarahJane
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 6018
Registration date : 2008-07-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Agoutibunny Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:43 pm

I'm probably telling you the obvious but if you end up with too much again, it's really easy to dry and save for the winter.

I just stick my excess in the airing cupboard for a day or so and when it's dry I just store it in paper bags. My buns love it dried or fresh.
Agoutibunny
Agoutibunny
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 121
Registration date : 2009-12-21

Back to top Go down

Post by marleyNfriends Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:45 pm

Agoutibunny wrote:I'm probably telling you the obvious but if you end up with too much again, it's really easy to dry and save for the winter.

I just stick my excess in the airing cupboard for a day or so and when it's dry I just store it in paper bags. My buns love it dried or fresh.

Yeah, ive got it drying in a big box in the shed. Thanks Smile
marleyNfriends
marleyNfriends
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by woodwench Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:23 pm

Just arrived home with forage for my PICKY lil git. Loll is currently tucking into a selection of dandelion leaves, sow thistle and his fave grass. Try not to let folk see me hunting out his grasses, there's only two he will eat and I might get locked up if I addmitted to the rest of the villagers I pander to his preferences so.
Clawed was a sweetheart to feed with wild forage, nothing was refused. But a word of caution: we all know about everything in moderation and if your bun is inclined to bloat, like Clawed was, do watch the amount of fresh clover you feed. I once, as a novice keeper, fed Clawed too much.... she was a piggie where clover was concerned and I over did the "kindness" and nearly lost her.
woodwench
woodwench
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 4219
Registration date : 2011-07-06

Back to top Go down

Post by marleyNfriends Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:46 pm

woodwench wrote:Just arrived home with forage for my PICKY lil git. Loll is currently tucking into a selection of dandelion leaves, sow thistle and his fave grass. Try not to let folk see me hunting out his grasses, there's only two he will eat and I might get locked up if I addmitted to the rest of the villagers I pander to his preferences so.
Clawed was a sweetheart to feed with wild forage, nothing was refused. But a word of caution: we all know about everything in moderation and if your bun is inclined to bloat, like Clawed was, do watch the amount of fresh clover you feed. I once, as a novice keeper, fed Clawed too much.... she was a piggie where clover was concerned and I over did the "kindness" and nearly lost her.

Dont worry, there were only 4-5 that i picked, the others were in funny places. Thanks for the warning though, i didnt know that! Skyes fussy at the moment too, im hoping its just her age!
marleyNfriends
marleyNfriends
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by woodwench Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:55 pm

When I first got Clawed and arrived with her at the vets to get her vaccinated against myxi I asked Andy, my vet, to give me a few bunny tips and he surprised me by saying Rabbits are classed as exotic pets and that they have skin like a cat, a delicate digestive system that means they cholic like a horse, they are as clever as many breeds of dog and temperamentally they as stubborn as the most contrary mule. He was right.
Clawed was all of that!
woodwench
woodwench
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 4219
Registration date : 2011-07-06

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:24 pm

woodwench wrote:When I first got Clawed and arrived with her at the vets to get her vaccinated against myxi I asked Andy, my vet, to give me a few bunny tips and he surprised me by saying Rabbits are classed as exotic pets and that they have skin like a cat, a delicate digestive system that means they cholic like a horse, they are as clever as many breeds of dog and temperamentally they as stubborn as the most contrary mule. He was right.
Clawed was all of that!

I wonder if he had met Daisy??? Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Interesting about the clover...its a recent discovery for Daisy after it has gone wild in our garden. Ill make sure he doesnt gorge!
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by marleyNfriends Sun Jul 24, 2011 5:27 pm

I was asked to make a video of the forage i collected, they asked to see how i washed and stored it. I was going to take pictures and post them, but i guess i may aswell just post the link to the video. Please dont watch it all, its long, boring and embarrassing! Embarassed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouDPsNHT7EA
marleyNfriends
marleyNfriends
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down