Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

We've all packed up and moved to sulksville!

+4
woodwench
Josie
Ruffin
KatieB
8 posters

Go down

We've all packed up and moved to sulksville! Empty We've all packed up and moved to sulksville!

Post by Guest Sat Aug 13, 2011 11:21 pm

After watching Bruce get tattier and tattier I finally had enough this evening and have plucked him! He does not like any form of grooming and so I have established over the years (having tried every sort of brush, hoovering him, leabing him to his own devices etc.) that the best option is to assault the moult every now and again. It is fairly quick so at least it is over and done with before he gets too stressed. I but boy do know I've done it! The man is running all around stamping like mad and glaring at me. The carpet is covered in fur which I will not politely be able to do anything about until the morning for fear of disturbing the neighbours. And my trousers are also covered and will probably have to spend a few mins in the tumble dryer before going in the washing machine in order to detach it all. These are the moments when I remeber why I was so adamant when looking for a partner for him that I wanted a short haired bun preferably a Rex!

We've all packed up and moved to sulksville! P1000149-1

Bruce posing with a small amount of the removed fur.

Last edited by cheryl'n'bruce'flo on Sat Aug 13, 2011 11:33 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

We've all packed up and moved to sulksville! Empty Re: We've all packed up and moved to sulksville!

Post by KatieB Sat Aug 13, 2011 11:31 pm

Daisy is exactly the same....he wont be brushed, he just hops off in a mood....so Ive taken to doing sneaky fur snatchings as he hops by or distracting him with one hand with a head scratch and then pull some hair from his scruffy bottom with the other.

Can only do it for a few seconds though before he hops of in disgust! Ha ha ha
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

We've all packed up and moved to sulksville! Empty Re: We've all packed up and moved to sulksville!

Post by Ruffin Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:57 am

[b]Ruffin loves being groomed but Jazz wont let you anywhere near but we have a secret weapon Fizz she will nick any loose and not so loose fur her nest building poor Jazz Smile
Ruffin
Ruffin
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1122
Registration date : 2010-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Josie Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:02 am

My 2 are the same, Flopsy will allow a stroke so a few quick tugs whilst i'm stroking usually does the job Thumbs Up

They do groom each other constantly though Very Happy
Josie
Josie
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1574
Registration date : 2011-07-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:49 am

I made a huge mistake one moult. Bruce was fussing around my feet not long after I had got up having just applied moisturiser. I absent mindedly picked him up and he snuggled in to my chin area. When I put him down I had a nice furry beard attached to my face by moisturiser!

Luckily for me Bruce forgives quite quickly and this morning he is back to his normal happy self.

Back to top Go down

Post by woodwench Sun Aug 14, 2011 12:48 pm

AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! the dreaded moult. Loll's just started... there's a white patch on my brown carpet from his tum and a black outline on my beige rug from his "skirts".
I follow the seize the moment and pluck him approach and suffer the consequenches. The only problem is his late summer/autumn moult always seems to coincide with his last myxi jab of the year and no matter how I've stroked and plucked before setting off there's always a fur storm in the surgery.
woodwench
woodwench
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 4219
Registration date : 2011-07-06

Back to top Go down

Post by 4390evans Sun Aug 14, 2011 3:19 pm

do they moult if they live out side as I found loads of white fur the other day but look like tufts more than anything?x
4390evans
4390evans
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1063
Registration date : 2011-08-01

http://www.mmatotalcombat.com

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Sun Aug 14, 2011 4:54 pm

4390evans wrote:do they moult if they live out side as I found loads of white fur the other day but look like tufts more than anything?x

Yes they do moult outside hun - but not so badly. If its in tufts I would look out to make sure they are not fighting as finding tufts of fur is often a warning sign that somebuns have had a falling out.

K x
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by lizzi_b Sun Aug 14, 2011 5:03 pm

Katieb wrote:Daisy is exactly the same....he wont be brushed, he just hops off in a mood....so Ive taken to doing sneaky fur snatchings as he hops by or distracting him with one hand with a head scratch and then pull some hair from his scruffy bottom with the other.

Can only do it for a few seconds though before he hops of in disgust! Ha ha ha

Thats exactly what i have to do, or i sit with some dried beetroot and turnip treats in one hand that he loves and then try and remove the worst tufts while he is nibbling, although today he has grown wise to this tactic and runs over, grabs a treat and hops off to eat it!! Laughing I may have to find a new tactic as this moulting seems to be never ending!!! how long do these moults generally last for?
lizzi_b
lizzi_b
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1667
Registration date : 2011-07-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Aug 14, 2011 6:07 pm

The real bad period lasts about a month with Bruce. But he always sheds a fair bit. It starts at the nape of his neck and then slowly day by day more fur comes away leaving a darker, skinnier bun underneath. It has got down to the skirting area now. I will be able to do one more pull in a few days around his bum and then he will be done. Flo's has got about half way down her back so far, but for the most part you don't get big piles of her fur left behind and she doesn't look so ragged. I sometimes find fluff where my 2 have been playing. They chase each other for fun. You can tell the difference between serious chase and fun chase because a lot more binkying happens when they are having fun and they do these huge leaps over each other. It's very funny and leaves you with no doubts to the fact you are watching a dance of foreplay.

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:24 am

We have some in real bad moults Ruby and Charlie the big Chinchilla buns seem to be forever moulting. Most of them enjoy being brushed apart from Murphy and he hates it and will do all he can to make it as difficult as possible for you to get the brush near him Smile

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 15875

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:10 am

Mine always hated being brushed. Gloria used to attack the brush and once when I dropped it, gave it a good chewing! I think she was demonstrating what she would do to my hand should I continue!!

As mine were all outside buns, I generally left them to it unless there was a particularly enticing bit just begging to be pulled out! Laughing

Knowing how much hair they leave in the vet's surgery, I feel for everyone with a moulting housebun.
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Number of posts : 14530
Registration date : 2008-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down