Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Im bonding a trio! Update#4 & wondering where 2 go from here

+3
KatieB
fall3n-ang3l
marleyNfriends
7 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Im bonding a trio! Update#4 & wondering where 2 go from here Empty Im bonding a trio! Update#4 & wondering where 2 go from here

Post by marleyNfriends Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:37 am

Ok, so this hasnt gone the way i had hoped it would, and im not all that thrilled about having to do it now. I was hoping to give Skye a lot longer to recover from her spay and allow any hormones to calm down, but circumstances now mean that its now or never. I have spoken to my vet who feels Skye should be OK, her wound was only an inch long and everything was very tiny, so she should be nicely healed and unable to cause herself any damage.

Please dont judge me, I was worried about posting on a forum, but i could probably do with all the support i can get at the moment as its my first real bond.

I have put together a 2x4 pen and divided it in 2, so that i can take the partition out when im ready to increase space. Ive soaked the carpet in 50:50 water/vinegar solution and allowed it to dry and have done the same with the pen. Ive then placed bin bags down to protect my carpet and newspaper on top of that. I dont plan on putting anything other than hay/readigrass/forage into the pen at this stage.

Imagine my bedroom...bed on the chimney breast, Skyes pen on the left of the bed, bonding pen on the right. Im hoping the other side of my bed will be neutral enough, but im going to dowse skyes pen in vinegar, just to be sure. Fingers Crossed.

I wont increase space until there has been a good 12 hours with no fighting (anyone think it should be longer than this?) Once they are settled in the 4ft pen, they will be going back out into the playhouse, but i will be keeping them in the 4ft pen and slowly increasing the space over a week or so.

Im not sure at what point i will be able to add litter trays back in though, ive got a sweeping brush, gardening gloves, lots of bunny food and a spray bottle at hand - though im not sure about using a spray bottle. Shocked I guess ill just have to see how things pan out. Im also considering wiping them all down with grooming wipes?

I have until Tuesday morning at which point ill have to leave them for half a day when i go to the hospital, and then im free again until Thursday.

Last edited by marleyNfriends on Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:58 pm; edited 5 times in total
marleyNfriends
marleyNfriends
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 4163
Registration date : 2011-07-04

Back to top Go down

Im bonding a trio! Update#4 & wondering where 2 go from here Empty Re: Im bonding a trio! Update#4 & wondering where 2 go from here

Post by fall3n-ang3l Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:42 am

i havent any experience but i wish you all the luck in the world Hugs
fall3n-ang3l
fall3n-ang3l
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 4317
Registration date : 2011-07-25

Back to top Go down

Im bonding a trio! Update#4 & wondering where 2 go from here Empty Re: Im bonding a trio! Update#4 & wondering where 2 go from here

Post by KatieB Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:27 am

Wishing you lots and lots of luck honey.

I wouldnt wash the buns with grooming wipes...smell is so very important to the buns and its important they get to know each others smells.

Start by crossing smells. So give Skye a good stroke and then use the same hand to stroke Marley and Dolly. Then do the same to Skye.

Here is a really good bonding vid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7qraiZ8g6M

Also - we dont judge people here hun - we support. x
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:33 am

Sophia, I'd not use vinegar, it isn't strong enough. Anne recommends a 1:10 solution of Biological washing liquid and water. Neutral terratory is possibly the most important caveat of bonding.

Good luck, keep us informed, we're happy to support you Smile
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11365
Registration date : 2008-07-02

http://www.hoppingmad.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Josie Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:32 am

Good luck, fingers crossed for you Thumbs Up

Keep us informed Very Happy
Josie
Josie
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1574
Registration date : 2011-07-28

Back to top Go down

Post by SarahJane Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:36 am

Good Luck, its not ideal like you say but I know you will keep a close eye on her. Pebbles was bonded to Domino a week after her spay - i didnt know it mattered, and because there was no chasing she was fine, they were a love at first sight bond!

Witha trio, just be extra careful with the scuffing etc, yes they have to do that to bond, but it wouldnt do any harm to try and separate the scuffles for a day or so just to make it easier for Skye.

x
SarahJane
SarahJane
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 6018
Registration date : 2008-07-01

Back to top Go down

Post by marleyNfriends Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:45 am

Well theyre all in. It started off with Dolly and Skye squished together in a corner while marley had a munch and a groom. Then as they started to move there has been some chasing, but not as much as i expected and i havent had to break anything up yet.

Marley occasionally flops next to Dolly and goes between the 2 but theres not too much interest in Skye. Shes facing the corner though, but isnt as stressed as she looked to begin with. Ill see if i can get a picture. I have dated them a couple of times, so I knew what to expect this time. So far, my nerves are holding out!

Ive got my Sex and the City box set, a magazine, few bags of sweets and a bottle of lucozade for when the going gets tough Laughing
Thanks everyone! Hugs
marleyNfriends
marleyNfriends
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:51 am

Good Luck! Im bonding a trio! Update#4 & wondering where 2 go from here Fingers_crossed

I think you are really brave.

Back to top Go down

Post by marleyNfriends Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:24 am

Anyway, some pictures...

My preparations - theres also a litre of lucozade in the fridge for when the going gets tough!
Im bonding a trio! Update#4 & wondering where 2 go from here GEDC1428

Im bonding a trio! Update#4 & wondering where 2 go from here GEDC1429

They have been like this or near enough for the last half hour, which i know im bonding terms is nothing, but its cute to see!
Im bonding a trio! Update#4 & wondering where 2 go from here GEDC1436
marleyNfriends
marleyNfriends
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Josie Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:25 pm

Awwww dont they all look cute snuggled together Love

I too think your very brave, i tried but didnt have the nerve Embarassed
Josie
Josie
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by fall3n-ang3l Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:30 pm

love the pics,i watched "sex and the city" film the other night for the first time,i loved it
fall3n-ang3l
fall3n-ang3l
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by marleyNfriends Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:44 pm

Josie wrote:Awwww dont they all look cute snuggled together Love

I too think your very brave, i tried but didnt have the nerve Embarassed

I have done bunny dates before, so had an idea what to expect. Once i got over the first few scuffles, it was ok. Marley has hoovered up all the plantain and pellets, Ive had to hand feed the girls, but Skye hasnt had anything to eat since 10am, and im a bit concerned. I guess ill just keep trying.

fall3n-ang3l wrote:love the pics,i watched "sex and the city" film the other night for the first time,i loved it

This is the box set from the season 1 and 2, ive got the 2nd movie too. They're all really funny, I love Samantha Laughing I havent seen the first film though.
marleyNfriends
marleyNfriends
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by fall3n-ang3l Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:05 pm

the first film was on last week on telly,i sky+ it
fall3n-ang3l
fall3n-ang3l
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Im bonding a trio! Update#4 & wondering where 2 go from here Empty UPDATE #1

Post by marleyNfriends Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:13 pm

Ive been told on another forum to stop hand feeding the girls as i will confuse them with my scent and show favouritism? Is this true?

I just dont like that the girls arent eating on their own. Should i just let them get on with it and stop intefering?

Other than the odd scuffle, its going smoothly, they have flopped out all together a few times, but Skye is in a corner on her own at the moment.
marleyNfriends
marleyNfriends
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:19 pm

Certainly it is a good idea to let them get on with it as much as possible. Fodd can cause fights so putting it in more than one place is a good idea.

Back to top Go down

Post by marleyNfriends Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:26 pm

cheryl'n'bruce'flo wrote:Certainly it is a good idea to let them get on with it as much as possible. Fodd can cause fights so putting it in more than one place is a good idea.

Ive been scatter feeding, but the girls are just sitting there and not bothering to eat anything, while Marley goes around hoovering it all up Laughing Ill just leave them for now then, and hope the girls start eating soon!

I know im probably just fussing for nothing now, but how often does bonding cause tummy troubles?
marleyNfriends
marleyNfriends
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:31 pm

Stress can cause tummy trouble but you need to allow for the idea that they are not hungry as well.

Back to top Go down

Post by marleyNfriends Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:37 pm

cheryl'n'bruce'flo wrote:Stress can cause tummy trouble but you need to allow for the idea that they are not hungry as well.
I know, but i didnt feed them this morning in the hope that they might tuck in and be distracted by food when i put them in.

Jay wrote:Sophia, I'd not use vinegar, it isn't strong enough. Anne recommends a 1:10 solution of Biological washing liquid and water. Neutral terratory is possibly the most important caveat of bonding.

Thanks, Jay! I will use this solution for the play house. Unfortunately i started before i read your post. Just glanced over at them, the girls are snuggled up together and Marley is flopped out next to them. Skye looks as though shes gone to sleep!
marleyNfriends
marleyNfriends
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by marleyNfriends Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:34 pm

WE HAVE GROOMING!!!!

Marley has groomed both of the girls now Happy Dance
marleyNfriends
marleyNfriends
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Josie Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:54 pm

marleyNfriends wrote:
cheryl'n'bruce'flo wrote:Stress can cause tummy trouble but you need to allow for the idea that they are not hungry as well.
I know, but i didnt feed them this morning in the hope that they might tuck in and be distracted by food when i put them in.

Jay wrote:Sophia, I'd not use vinegar, it isn't strong enough. Anne recommends a 1:10 solution of Biological washing liquid and water. Neutral terratory is possibly the most important caveat of bonding.

Thanks, Jay! I will use this solution for the play house. Unfortunately i started before i read your post. Just glanced over at them, the girls are snuggled up together and Marley is flopped out next to them. Skye looks as though shes gone to sleep!

Sorry Embarassed it was me who said i used Vinegar & water. Guess i was wrong, i got the info from another forum ages ago and used it on my hutch. Hope it hasnt caused any problems with the bond Embarassed
Josie
Josie
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Josie Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:55 pm

marleyNfriends wrote:WE HAVE GROOMING!!!!

Happy Dance cheers Happy Dance cheers Happy Dance cheers

Go Marley Thumbs Up

So many girls, so little time Laughing
Josie
Josie
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by marleyNfriends Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:00 pm

Josie wrote:
marleyNfriends wrote:WE HAVE GROOMING!!!!

Happy Dance cheers Happy Dance cheers Happy Dance cheers

Go Marley Thumbs Up

So many girls, so little time Laughing

At least they had a change from being chased/nipped. Though they didnt groom him back, but he didnt seem bothered.
marleyNfriends
marleyNfriends
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:15 pm

YAY for the grooming!

Loving your supplies! ha ha ha

Glad it seems to be going so well - sounds like you are doing a brilliant job.
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Im bonding a trio! Update#4 & wondering where 2 go from here Empty UPDATE #2 - Im such an idiot!

Post by marleyNfriends Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:23 pm

I use the super pet glass bottles and took the water bottles from the inside and reattached them on the outside of the pen. Im missing one of the metal brackets, and have an awful feeling ive thrown in back into the pen with a pile of hay! I know i put it by the door, and its not there now. Shocked I dont know what to do, i hope they dont injure themselves on it. Sad

Its been a relatively quiet afternoon, the girls came out of their shell a little and had a bite to eat. They got their veg scattered at about 7.45 and all was quite peaceful.

Dolly and Skye about 12pm
Im bonding a trio! Update#4 & wondering where 2 go from here Day112-00pm

A peaceuful dinner
Im bonding a trio! Update#4 & wondering where 2 go from here Day17-45pmapeacefuldinner

There hasnt really been many changes. Theres been some grooming, though it hasnt been reciprocated Laughing I am a little concerned about Skye. I would say shes struggling the most, though i wouldnt say shes distressed. I think im just loosing my nerve slightly as it kicked off a bit just before dinner and Marley and Dolly knocked her around a little when theyre chasing eachother. I just want to scoop her up Love Shes ok when Dolly goes near her, but tenses up whenever Marley approaches her and forces herself into a corner and buries her head. Sad I know it could be worse, but its not nice to see and is making be a bit anxious.

Im just going by what i know is acceptable and what isnt, but im not 100% sure whats what, so if anyone has an idea of the current dynamics, that would be nice. Im worried about that water bottle bracket too. Sad
marleyNfriends
marleyNfriends
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Josie Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:18 pm

Sorry i'm no help as i failed miserably bonding Rolling Eyes

I'm no expert by a long shot but it looks and sounds like its going well Thumbs Up

I do hope you end up with a happy trio, it will be wonderful to watch Very Happy

I want to know how you tell which black bun is which! Shocked
Josie
Josie
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum