Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How often for fresh food?

+2
fall3n-ang3l
JoeyBunsMum
6 posters

Go down

How often for fresh food? Empty How often for fresh food?

Post by JoeyBunsMum Sat Sep 10, 2011 3:51 pm

How often do you Hoppers give your buns 'fresh food -herbs, veggies, leaves etc?
I'm wondering how much/how frequently to give Joey the above items as I'm just starting him out on them. I've barely given him any as I'm not sure whats best. Our bridge bun Barney used to get something every other day, but I don't know if that was too much?

Fran x

JoeyBunsMum
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2784
Registration date : 2011-04-23

Back to top Go down

How often for fresh food? Empty Re: How often for fresh food?

Post by Guest Sat Sep 10, 2011 4:03 pm

The ideal is to feed about 80% hay, 15% veggies and 5% pellets daily. But if your bun is not used to veg you need to introduce it slowly. You need to watch for soft and squishy poos but as long as these are not happening you should be fine to keep increasing. My buns get about a cereal bowlful of veggies and herbs everyday between the 2 of them.

Back to top Go down

Post by fall3n-ang3l Sat Sep 10, 2011 4:17 pm

i do mine about every other day and there only on 2 sorts of veg at the mo,will maybe start on another one in a few days and if there ok with that,then i will feed them once a day with it,i know they love what i give them
fall3n-ang3l
fall3n-ang3l
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 4317
Registration date : 2011-07-25

Back to top Go down

Post by dizzylynn Sat Sep 10, 2011 4:23 pm

I might be giving him to much, but alot is in the bin at end of the day, just leave it with him he eats what he wants then clean out dish at end of the night. I think a cat dish of pellets lasts him 2 days, would like to have a big tub for his hay but would be worried he used it as a litter tray.
dizzylynn
dizzylynn
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 3191
Registration date : 2011-08-31

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Sat Sep 10, 2011 5:09 pm

Daisy has a cupfull twice daily, an eggcup full of nuggetts and unlimited hay.
He also gets pear twigs and leaves, dandilions and dried plantain.

The most important thing a bun can eat is Hay....number one on the list always.

I think joey would be fine to have veg daily - id just increase it slowly.

Dizzylynn, you might want to think about reducing the nuggie amount and increasing the hay amount. This will help keep him and his little teeth healthy.

K
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Sep 10, 2011 5:21 pm

I give hay in a couple of ways one of which is in the litter tray. I find my buns will move the good stuff to have a pee. You could find a way to suspend the hay over the litter tray in some way if you are worried about some sort of contamination. But buns don't do toxic poo like carnivores so not much harm will come from them eating hay that they have pooed on. You just need to change the hay daily. I also feed hay in cardboard tubes of varying sizes which they enjoy.

Back to top Go down

Post by dizzylynn Sat Sep 10, 2011 5:48 pm

Ive stuffed about 3 kitchen roll tubes, 5 loo roll tubes with hay, one of the ball things with bell on it you hang, and a shoe box has a pile in it, he also has some loose next to the window to sit and eat while watching out the window. The bags kept in the living room so when he is in spending time with us he drags it all out the bag and sits eating it lol. Got him some baby corns today at the shop, along with colliflour & brocalli (cant spell lol) there for my son but might give him a wee bit before I cook it for my son. And plenty of the wild rocket saled he shares with rudy, 1 bag does them both 2 days so they dont get alot each, still usually some left for bin after the 2 days.
dizzylynn
dizzylynn
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Sep 10, 2011 6:09 pm

In the bin after 2 days? My rocket lasts about a week. Mine are currently getting greens, parsley, coriander, rocket, beetroot, fennel, celery in their bowls and then mint and oregano that they help themselves to in the garden and some chamomile as a treat. They also get broccoli stalks and the carrot ends when I am preparing them.

Back to top Go down

Post by dizzylynn Sat Sep 10, 2011 6:20 pm

cheryl'n'bruce'flo wrote:In the bin after 2 days? My rocket lasts about a week. Mine are currently getting greens, parsley, coriander, rocket, beetroot, fennel, celery in their bowls and then mint and oregano that they help themselves to in the garden and some chamomile as a treat. They also get broccoli stalks and the carrot ends when I am preparing them.

I'm paraniod it goes off lol, its the bags from asda, maybe I should make it last longer saves wasting it. I just filled the shoe box with hay and removed some of the pellets. He still ha some of his carrot to nibble through. The cherry tomato is gone so he must have loved that, will only offer 1 at a time.
dizzylynn
dizzylynn
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by JoeyBunsMum Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:05 pm

Katieb wrote:Daisy has a cupfull twice daily, an eggcup full of nuggetts and unlimited hay.
He also gets pear twigs and leaves, dandilions and dried plantain.

The most important thing a bun can eat is Hay....number one on the list always.

I think joey would be fine to have veg daily - id just increase it slowly.

Dizzylynn, you might want to think about reducing the nuggie amount and increasing the hay amount. This will help keep him and his little teeth healthy.

K

Thanks a lot everyone. At the mo Joe is on a couple of handfuls of nuggies and of course all the hay he wants. Just needed to know about veggies etc x

JoeyBunsMum
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2784
Registration date : 2011-04-23

Back to top Go down

Post by 4390evans Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:11 pm

my 9 get broc, cab, cauli, few sliced carrots and herbs every morning, and if im feeling genorous i slice up about 3 large strawberries and plant them about the garden. Although they know what im doing and run in behind me and get them there and then, there is a massive fight over them lol xx
4390evans
4390evans
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1063
Registration date : 2011-08-01

http://www.mmatotalcombat.com

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:37 pm

Mine used to get veggies in the evening - basically it was bribery to make them go into their hutch!
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Number of posts : 14530
Registration date : 2008-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down