Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Spaying older buns?

4 posters

Go down

Spaying older buns? Empty Spaying older buns?

Post by iiisecondcreep Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:34 pm

Our bun is about 5, I was planning on getting her spayed later this year. However, a few days ago someone on another forum questioned why I would be getting her spayed at this age.

I want to do whats best for her, and everything I have read has indicated that speying female rabbits is the best due to cancer and hormones. If she is healthy, is her age any reason not to have her spayed? I do appreciate that there is always a risk with general anaesthetic and that it is quite a big operation.

I know she lived with another bun previously and afaik they got on fine, certainly she has no war wounds. I start back work tomorrow ( Crying or Very sad ) she'll be alone during the day so it would be nice to get her a companion.

Obviously I will discuss this with my vet, (although I mentioned before and she never expressed any concerns over having her spayed), however in the mean time I would be interested in hearing other peoples opinions and experiences Smile

Thanks Smile
iiisecondcreep
iiisecondcreep
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1595
Registration date : 2011-07-20

Back to top Go down

Spaying older buns? Empty Re: Spaying older buns?

Post by Thumper2001 Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:45 pm

Thumper was done when I'd had her for about 4 years and she was absolutely fine. I never had her done before that because I was an accidental bunny mummy and didn't have a clue! The vet I used at the time never told me to get it done either!

Thumper had the additional complication of having tumors in her uterus and she was totally fine. I have now had her for over 10 years Smile

Don't beat yourself up about her being home alone all day, I know ideally they should have company but thumper has never shown any upset at being left home alone - in fact, I think she prefers it that way. She just snoozes all day when we are home at the weekend anyway Laughing
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Number of posts : 13766
Registration date : 2011-04-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:41 am

We have just taken on a 5 year old doe who has never been spayed we have had her checked out just last week and she has a suspected tumour and is going next Thursday to have the tumour removed and spayed at the same time. Sadly had she not had a tumour we would have discussed getting her eventually spayed with our vet making sure she was well and strong enough for the Op.

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 15875

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:03 am

My first doe came to me aged about 4 and she was spayed once I heard about the incidence of ovarian cancer in older rabbits. She was absolutely fine with the operation.
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Number of posts : 14530
Registration date : 2008-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down