Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UD: Garrus has Anemia

+5
Thumper2001
Tuckerbunnies
lizzi_b
Josie
Nagila
9 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

UD: Garrus has Anemia Empty UD: Garrus has Anemia

Post by Nagila Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:29 pm

Today all day we kept stepping in little wet spots and at first we thought that we spilled water or tea or something, but then we noticed that Garrus' tail is a little wet. If he has to actually pee he goes in the litter box, but sometimes he accidentally leaks about a teaspoon I would say. This is very weird 'cause he always pee's in the same place and even when he used to spray urine he would only spray one particular spot where his litter box was. Is this common?

Last edited by Nagila on Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Nagila
Nagila
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 194
Registration date : 2011-09-15

Back to top Go down

UD: Garrus has Anemia Empty Re: UD: Garrus has Anemia

Post by Josie Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:33 pm

Sorry but not sure about this Embarassed

Am sure Maysie will be on soon and will be able to help Very Happy
Josie
Josie
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1574
Registration date : 2011-07-28

Back to top Go down

Post by lizzi_b Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:33 pm

oh how odd, sadly i don't know an answer to that, are you sure he isnt just hopping out of his tray mid pee? but a teaspoon sounds a lot though!!! maybe a trip to the vets is needed?! i'm sure someone who knows more will help! Hugs
lizzi_b
lizzi_b
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1667
Registration date : 2011-07-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Nagila Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:54 pm

I'm not sure how much.. a teaspoon does sound a lot now that I actually think of it.. but they're just tiny little puddles and nowhere near his litter box. Now one of his back paws are wet too and we dried him up with his towel.. Hopefully it'll stop soon.. if not, we'll just drop by the vet and ask if there's anything wrong No
Nagila
Nagila
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:36 am

Have you noticed him drinking more water than usual? Is he straining when he wee's in the litter tray? are his back legs wet and underneath his tail as this can be a sign of a urinary infection.

How old is Garrus as if he is an old bun it can be a sign of arthritis if he is a young bun and new to litter training he could be just getting use to it and just a bit eager to go before he's actually finished Smile

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 15875

Back to top Go down

Post by Nagila Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:30 am

Yea his back Legs and tail are wet. He is getting used to a new litter (hemparade) but he also has accidents like in the bedroom while his litterbox is in the living room, so we don't think it has to do with just leaving before he's finished..
Oh my I hope he doesn't have a urinary infection Sad
Nagila
Nagila
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Nagila Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:31 am

Oh and he's a little over 5 months old now
Nagila
Nagila
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Nagila Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:35 am

We also haven't noticed if he's straining.. We just see him hop over there and turn his back to us like he usually does when he pees. We'll keep an eye on him today to see if he's straining and/or drinking more water
Nagila
Nagila
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:21 pm

Nagila wrote:Oh and he's a little over 5 months old now

Oh he is only a baby I wouldn't worry too much then at the moment as he will no doubt still be getting use to using his litter tray and I dare say he is so excited to run around if his litter tray is in a play area, it's a quick wee and off to play again and so makes a few puddles Laughing

If his back legs and under his tail and bottom are wet all the time though I would consider having him checked out at the vets just to be on the safe side Smile

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Nagila Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:38 pm

We have an appointment tomorrow morning just to be sure.. We'll check right away how much it would cost to get him done Smile eventhough he's not bothering B and he's not ehm... "bothering" anything else either Razz
Nagila
Nagila
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:57 pm

Nagila wrote:We have an appointment tomorrow morning just to be sure.. We'll check right away how much it would cost to get him done Smile eventhough he's not bothering B and he's not ehm... "bothering" anything else either Razz

If you are worried it's always best to be on the safe side, hope it's just his age Smile

'Good Luck' for tomorrow let us know how he goes on xxx

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Nagila Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:22 pm

We hope it's just his age too :/ he seems alright, but we havent seen him pee properly today as in we kept an eye on him but it looks like we missed him everytime he went to take a leak so we don't know if he's having difficulty peeing
Nagila
Nagila
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Nagila Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:53 pm

You were right Smile last night we examined him and his tail and paws were wet because we moved their litterbox last time, but he likes his original corner more Razz we didn't see it because it's a little hidden, but now he's all dry and nice only we have to wash his paws and bum a little cause he smells like urine Shocked
wonder how that's gonna go
Any tips how to keep him still? No
Nagila
Nagila
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Nagila Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:54 pm

oh by the way he didn't have to go to the vet anymore Smile he's fine we just overreacted instead of looking for clues first
Nagila
Nagila
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Nagila Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:22 pm

Sad just now Garrus started acting very weird and he couldn't hop right he kept wobbling and every time he flops down but when he tries to get up he just can't. He won't eat his favourite pellets and he rests his head a lot, while usually he keeps his head straight up. He also started pooping a lot when he was laying down, but his poops were just normal round same size and healthy. He always lets us pet him but never pick him up or grab him or anything, but this time he seemed to be limp when we tried to carry him to put him in the basket to take him to the vet. They took forever to get here and are charging us a ridiculous amount of money because it's sunday evening and only one person could go with them Sad we decided JC better go with him cause he knows everything Garrus did this weekend, cause I wasn't home. I feel so useless now just sitting here waiting for JC to call...
Nagila
Nagila
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:28 pm

Oh no I hope he is ok, I wonder if he has a kidney infection. Oh poor boy I do hope he is ok Sad

Sending him lots of healing Vibes

Please let us know what it is, Thinking of you and Garrus Hugs Hugs

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Nagila Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:34 pm

Last time urinary infection was mentioned, but the symptoms I described stopped and since I wasn't home for the weekend I didn't notice anything different.. just today he seemed quiet when I got home since he usually runs to me so I would pet him, but today he just seemed indifferent. He just looked sooo tired when they took him pale I sure do hope he's okay.. he's so young Sad
Nagila
Nagila
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:42 pm

Nagila wrote:Last time urinary infection was mentioned, but the symptoms I described stopped and since I wasn't home for the weekend I didn't notice anything different.. just today he seemed quiet when I got home since he usually runs to me so I would pet him, but today he just seemed indifferent. He just looked sooo tired when they took him pale I sure do hope he's okay.. he's so young Sad

They will probably give him some fluids and put him on some antibiotics if it's a urinary infection. I will stay on the forum as I would like to know how he got on at the vet Hugs

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Nagila Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:48 pm

it's comforting just to talk to someone.. B never answers and JC isn't answering at the moment and it's obvious why but I still want to know what's going on. I would go there myself but it would take me an hour since I'm by bike Rolling Eyes B doesn't even seem to notice G isn't here. I do wonder how JC and Garrus are gonna come back.
Nagila
Nagila
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:57 pm

Nagila wrote:it's comforting just to talk to someone.. B never answers and JC isn't answering at the moment and it's obvious why but I still want to know what's going on. I would go there myself but it would take me an hour since I'm by bike Rolling Eyes B doesn't even seem to notice G isn't here. I do wonder how JC and Garrus are gonna come back.

I'm sure as soon as he knows anything and comes out of the vet's he will contact you he will know you will be waiting and worrying I'm sure.
I always think this is the worse bit waiting to hear what's wrong I usually pace the floor, watch the clock and check the telephone and my mobile just in case I have missed something Smile

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Nagila Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:03 am

I tried playing with Benezia to keep myself busy, but she does get bored of me easily if I don't have food..
OH the results are in.. they said he has very bad anemia? Because his blood is a very light colour and maybe he has a parasite or a sickness
Nagila
Nagila
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:15 am

Nagila wrote:I tried playing with Benezia to keep myself busy, but she does get bored of me easily if I don't have food..
OH the results are in.. they said he has very bad anemia? Because his blood is a very light colour and maybe he has a parasite or a sickness

Anemia oh that will explain why he looked so tired to you there could be a number of reasons he has anemia. What medication have they put him on do you know.

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Nagila Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:20 am

they just said he has anemia and maybe he has VHD or a parasite, but we had them both vaccinated for VHD and myxomatose or something and they're both very clean we haven't seen any kind of parasites and their bums are clean too, so I don't get it. The vet on duty just gave us some antibiotics and told us to take him to our vet tomorrow morning
Nagila
Nagila
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:30 am

Nagila wrote:they just said he has anemia and maybe he has VHD or a parasite, but we had them both vaccinated for VHD and myxomatose or something and they're both very clean we haven't seen any kind of parasites and their bums are clean too, so I don't get it. The vet on duty just gave us some antibiotics and told us to take him to our vet tomorrow morning

I would take him to your vet tomorrow as they will have to do tests on his blood count and you hopefully will know more then.

I have sent you this website so you know a little more about Anemia in rabbits http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Hematology/Differentials/anemia.htm

Give Garrus a gentle noserub from me and I will be watching this thread to see how he goes on.

Thinking about you both xxx Hugs Hugs

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Nagila Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:40 am

thanks Smile we'll let you know tomorrow, we're feeding him a pellet porridge now, but he's not very interested.
Nagila
Nagila
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next