Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mite problem

4 posters

Go down

Mite problem Empty Mite problem

Post by jolovesbunnies Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:47 pm

A little while ago I asked for some advice on Snuffie's dry skin and a couple of you kindly told it me it sounded like mites and guess what sweeties, you were right.

We took him for his myxi this monring and we saw a different vet who indeed confirmed what we thought and said it should be treated immediately. We now have some Xeno to treat him with, poor little chap. We could have done something about it earlier if the first vet had been right.

Sorry loves, rant over.

Hugs

JO xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11948
Registration date : 2011-01-02

Back to top Go down

Mite problem Empty Re: Mite problem

Post by Tuckerbunnies Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:09 pm

Ivermectin injections is very good for mites, 3 injections at intervals of 10-14 days. ( That's what our vet uses )

I don't know if Fipronil is used here or the US it's made by Frontline and will also kill fur mites but it should not be used on rabbits as it can cause convulsuions and death.

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 15875

Back to top Go down

Post by icedancer Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:47 pm

One of my old guinea pigs had mites once, I think he caught it off of the hay I used at the time. I took him to the vet and her reaction was - (loud shriek) "euch somethings moving" and then wouldn't even touch him! I can't remember what the treatment was, but for a vet that was so over the top.

Hope snuffie feels better soon
icedancer
icedancer
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 4732
Registration date : 2011-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Happy Hoppers Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:00 pm

I've always gone for an Ivermectin injection or drops personally which we got through the vets. Sometimes severe infestations may need a couple of injections spaced a couple of weeks apart.

I would avoid Xenex at all costs as it has had reports of terrible reactions including convulsions and even death.
Happy Hoppers
Happy Hoppers
Admin

Number of posts : 6477
Registration date : 2008-06-14

http://happyhoppers.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:19 pm

Thank you ladies for your kind warning, I had no idea Xeno could do this. I think I will have to talk to my vet. Unfortunatley though this cost me £30 and I can';t really afford injections at the moment. So far so good; Snuffie seems OK but I will take your advice and ask for the injuections when I am able. this has certaily put me on my guard.

That is disgraceful for a vet Icedancer, I would have been quite annoyed.

Hugs

Jo xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11948
Registration date : 2011-01-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down