Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Some people! Is it just me.....

+7
Becki
fiver
icedancer
4390evans
lizzi_b
KatieB
kitkatmoo
11 posters

Go down

Some people! Is it just me..... Empty Some people! Is it just me.....

Post by kitkatmoo Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:48 pm

So those of you who have popped by the infirmary recently will know that Babbitas has been a poorly boy, he is thankfully now on the mend (although he is avoiding his pellets but that's another story).

He found out how ill he was last Monday and it was touch and go for a few days. We were due at a wedding this weekend down south (about 300 mile round trip) and had a room booked but decided we would cancel it and come home as we weren't comfortable leaving him with anyone else overnight and still need to make sure he is eating regularly etc. I let the bride know via voicemail (she didn't answer the phone) and apologised profusely explaining the situation and that we would obviously still be coming but not staying.

Well..... apparently that wasn't acceptable because "he is just a rabbit" Mad

This girl, has a dog of her own, from a rescue centre, sponsored 2 dogs rather than getting wedding favours and EVEN did a collection at the wedding breakfast for the Dog's Trust.....

She said & I quote "I'm not angry I just could've done without it....". Yes cos I REALLY enjoyed being in pieces for days not knowing if he was going to make it! No

She has apologised since after I went to great lengths to explain all the various circumstances but I distinctly got the impression at the wedding that the issue is not really resolved. She is meant to be a close friend and showed no empathy whatsoever for the fact my lovely babbit nearly died at the beginning of the week and I feel like it has thrown our friendship into question a bit. I have never let her down EVER and am really sad she could be so mean. (The texts went back and forth for a while, this is a much abridged version).

I'm guessing this is a common opinion shared amongst non rabbit owners.... was I unreasonable to not stay? I don't think so but maybe I AM in the wrong, anyone had similar reactions to needing to look after their buns?
kitkatmoo
kitkatmoo
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 174
Registration date : 2008-12-17

Back to top Go down

Some people! Is it just me..... Empty Re: Some people! Is it just me.....

Post by KatieB Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:57 pm

People just don't understand why we love our buns the way that we do, if it is a dog or a cat they get it. Personally I feel sorry for them because they are the ones missing out on just how special buns are.

I always think that if someone is upset, concerned or worried they don't need you to understand the reason why - only that they are, and they need you to be supportive.

The only thing I will say is that weddings are very stressful and perhaps this is part of the reason your friend behaved the way she did. Perhaps try and talk to her about it when things are more settled x
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by kitkatmoo Sun Oct 23, 2011 8:07 pm

I know what you mean about the wedding stress, am trying to bear that in mind but I did get married myself earlier this year and she took me to one side 2 weeks before and told me off! I should be enjoying it, shouldn't be stressed, what was really going to happen if something didn't go to plan, I'd never get the chance to experience the build up to my wedding again etc etc. Hence why I thought she might understand that, having been through the same thing just 6 months ago that I would NEVER tell her I couldn't stay for the whole day if it wasn't something really important.

Katieb wrote:People just don't understand why we love our buns the way that we do, if it is a dog or a cat they get it. Personally I feel sorry for them because they are the ones missing out on just how special buns are.

Thank you for that - what a good way of looking at things! You are totally right. Thank you! x

kitkatmoo
kitkatmoo
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by lizzi_b Sun Oct 23, 2011 8:12 pm

agreed with katie there, that maybe she was stressed out with the wedding! but it's not very fair! its always the way, if it was a cat or dog people would totally understand, i think if you don't have rabbits you don't understand them! i still get funny looks and people talking about me as if im crazy for having a house rabbit!! give it a bit of time and im sure it will all settle with your friend!!
lizzi_b
lizzi_b
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1667
Registration date : 2011-07-08

Back to top Go down

Post by 4390evans Sun Oct 23, 2011 8:18 pm

Our Andy is the same, when trwink nearly died when she went in for her op, we had to pay quite a lot extra and ask our dad to lend us the money, he said Why dont you just get it pts. Our dad is a big animal lover went off it, he said cos shes a pet Andy!!! but he wasnt having any of it,
Some people are T"£$"
4390evans
4390evans
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1063
Registration date : 2011-08-01

http://www.mmatotalcombat.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 23, 2011 8:22 pm

I wonder if you were the only no show - I think some people build there expectations up so high that they cannot possibly have the day they are imagining and then if there are several people who cannot come at the last minute they get the brunt of the blame.

Back to top Go down

Post by icedancer Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:36 pm

Some people don't understand. For some reason any other animal other than dog/cat don't seem to feature on some peoples radar.

Saying that my boss did send me home from work when my last guinea pig died.

I think you are either an animal lover or a dog or cat lover. If you're an animal lover then any animal is equally important, but if you're a dog or cat lover, then it's only dogs or cats that matter.

Try and not let it get you down.

For wedding stress she should have had my bridesmaid, jesus. Did *** all and wondered why I complained! I no longer speak to her funnily enough.
icedancer
icedancer
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 4732
Registration date : 2011-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by fiver Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:40 pm

you know something i don't own a weasel but would not expect some one to come to what ever do if their weasel was taken like your rabbit so people like that are only interested in what is best for them don't let them bother you. Smile
i feel sorry for their dog if it ever falls ill.

fiver
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 10155
Registration date : 2011-10-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Becki Sun Oct 23, 2011 10:03 pm

That is bizarre (Especially being enough of an animal lover to have all the dog stuff at wedding), and very sad. I would hope (And so far, it has been true) that even though my friends don't understand, they do try to. I got told by ex's Mum tonight that I wont get another boyfriend as my life is "Too much 'all about animals'!?" Laughing
Becki
Becki
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2083
Registration date : 2008-07-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Becki Sun Oct 23, 2011 10:04 pm

Oh, and I'm so so glad your baby is OK xxxx
Becki
Becki
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2083
Registration date : 2008-07-01

Back to top Go down

Post by And Clover makes 4 Sun Oct 23, 2011 10:21 pm

You deffo did the right thing. I've cancelled babysitting because my buns have been acting strange and I worry and didn't want my nephew stressing them. I'm also not going up north for xmas coz we don't wanna leave the bunnies, espially at xmas. I think its nice that people love their pets enough to miss stuff for them xx
And Clover makes 4
And Clover makes 4
New Hopper
New Hopper

Number of posts : 49
Registration date : 2011-09-20

https://www.facebook.com\JulieGillies85

Back to top Go down

Post by Dotdot Sun Oct 23, 2011 11:55 pm

I think you were perfectly right not to stay, after all you went to the wedding still.

I agree, some people just don't see rabbits as domesticated pets and of the same importance as cats or dogs.
Dotdot
Dotdot
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 3515
Registration date : 2011-02-16

Back to top Go down

Post by kitkatmoo Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:57 am

Aw thanks everyone. I was a bit worried I was being unreasonable. It has paid off tho as Babbit is back outside in his hutch, happy as larry! Very Happy
kitkatmoo
kitkatmoo
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by dizzylynn Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:10 pm

Most dont care, if its a dog thats different they are meant to be more of a bond, but I think you bond with any animal even if they dont bond with you you deffo bond with them, I have 2 snakes and 2 reptiles, they dont show affection like dogs and cats or even bunnies but they do deserve it back, my mia actually had me worried sick today, her jaw popped and didnt go back in, she got it back in but the pain was making her a nasty girl, not her at all, she tried to tag (attack, bite for folks who dont know what tag means) and she got the glass loads of time, she warned me before hand tho, so I didnt open the glass, I knew she was telling me something was wrong and not to touch her. She seems ok now but will have to keep her calm and let her settle before go near her again.
dizzylynn
dizzylynn
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 3191
Registration date : 2011-08-31

Back to top Go down

Post by And Clover makes 4 Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:10 pm

It doesn't matter if its a dog, cat, rabbit, snake or hamster. They all deserve to be loved and conforted when under the weather xx
And Clover makes 4
And Clover makes 4
New Hopper
New Hopper

Number of posts : 49
Registration date : 2011-09-20

https://www.facebook.com\JulieGillies85

Back to top Go down

Post by Yodaphine Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:46 pm

Without this meaning to sound harsh towards your friend...I think your friend is the one being selfish...If she really cared about you she would accept how much you love Babbitas, thats not asking her to understand, just ACCEPT, I know many of us on here see our bunnies as family, not just pets...I think she is the one being selfish not you! And for the record, I havent been on holiday for 3yrs because I cant bear to leave my furbabies with anyone else...They are my babies, I would feel like I was abandoning them!

Yodaphine
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 472
Registration date : 2011-01-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down