Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

back from vet with charlie

+2
Thumper2001
dizzylynn
6 posters

Go down

back from vet with charlie Empty back from vet with charlie

Post by dizzylynn Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:18 am

Thats charlie had his 1st jags, vet actually says not many in our area bother, so he is pleased with my quility of care I give him. He did say he hasnt seen any cases, tho, just make sure I do it at the start of summer, I can skip the winter one as they dont spread in winter really. It was dearer than most places I must admit but I have a rapor with steven and the practice. £27 for the myx £29 for the other one, but £39 if done together.
He siad charlie is the best natured bunny he has ever seen, its all down to his quility of care and that I am doing a super job compared to alot of bunny owners in the area. Most dont really spend time with them. Ive to keep an eye on his hay eating, he has slight bigger mollers so might need to grind more. He has almost went through his chew log in space of 2 weeks, so he must notice this himself. Will need to replace it soon.

I had my bonnie in for her check up too, he lovessss her, gave her a good check up more than normally done by the other vet in the practice, asked my if I am concidering breeding her as she has a super nature, strong hips, her coat isnt your average regular coat to her blood line is strong. So not sure about it. I feel it would take the fun out of having her, he says not really, but its an expensive thing, if I was to do it wouldnt be to make money, in order to do it right for the benifit of the breed its not about making money its about keeping the breed strong and healthy so that can be alot of money and time.
dizzylynn
dizzylynn
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 3191
Registration date : 2011-08-31

Back to top Go down

back from vet with charlie Empty Re: back from vet with charlie

Post by Thumper2001 Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:25 am

Well done you! Thumbs Up You will need to get the other bunny owners in your area told Wink Laughing

Did they do Myxi and VHD at the same time?
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Number of posts : 13766
Registration date : 2011-04-26

Back to top Go down

Post by dizzylynn Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:40 am

No Ive to take charlie back in 2 weeks for the vhd one.
dizzylynn
dizzylynn
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by dizzylynn Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:44 am

We got talking about possible bonding with a female, I am still in 2 minds about going ahead, my friend says it might have the opposite effect, since we spend alot of time with him and he has alot of space his nature is great now it might make him more possisive about his space. The vet says why not get a ginue pig and put that in beside him, to which I replied nope I dont agree with that as alot of cases the bunny will bully the gp. He admitted alot of the owners havent said this happens but maybe they dont actaully pay attention.
dizzylynn
dizzylynn
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:22 pm

Im so glad he is all in good health and the vet is pleased with him, he is right you do a wonderful job with him. He is a very lucky boy. Although I bet he isnt too happy with you at the moment! Laughing

I have to admit though Im a bit horrified that your vet

a) said not to bother with the winter vaccine - Bunnies are dying from Myxi now, today!
b) told you to get a piggie - It is the exception to the rule that this works and is never recomended.
c) They dont mean get them done together, together do they - there should always be two weeks between them.

I dont mean to be rude about your friend either but is she the same friend who told you not to get him vaccinated.......?
Organisations like RWAF - who are world leaders in their expertise and the writiers of the expert sections in Hopping Mad are of a completely different opinion! I think your friend and the vet could both do with reading some of the RWAF information. Im sure they have the best of intentions but sometimes a little extra info would really benefit I think.

Charlie obviously loves you and loves spending time with you, by getting him a friend he gets to have company and love all day every day. I think that with a house bun its different because they are in the house with you, following you around 24/7. If my boy was well, I would deffo get him a friend and he is in the house 24/7.

Only you know your bun though, its true, but the ideal is for them to have company. And we all know that you give him a wonderful life.

Last edited by Katieb on Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Thumper2001 Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:35 pm

Katie, I thought the same thing about the vaccinations but Charlie is going back in 2 weeks time to get the VHD one. I think what Lynn meant was you book and pay for them at the same time Smile
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Number of posts : 13766
Registration date : 2011-04-26

Back to top Go down

Post by dizzylynn Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:28 pm

It was the payment I meant together, only way to get the discounted price was to pay them in one. I think he is more saying that we have had NO cases in our local areas of either of the conditions. To be honest dont see point in skippign a dose. Plus to late its winter now lol. I will shop around for cheaper mx price for his 6 month one, am no paying nearly £30 if can get it cheaper else where, that way he can get whats best all the time.
I will deside whats best for him when he is ready, will have to wait till the right little girl comes along anyway, I would maybe get a baby, but think he would hurt her. Espicially if she was only 12 weeks old. Not sure if thats a good way to do it. he still has to accept a companion and not effect his over all nature. We love him, but there are days when were really busy or not feeling to great only get him in once for an hour, usually hes in 3 times for hour each time, or till he says right had enough take me back to my house which he does do in his own little way. His run isnt built yet either, weather just wont let up, cant get the electic tools out to cut the wood till it stays dry. No room in the garage to do it and the dust might go for the snakes lungs if do it in the house.
dizzylynn
dizzylynn
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:50 pm

30 is really expensive Hun, I think I only pay about 20 for daisy.
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Velvet.Tears Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:12 pm

Our vaccs are £15
Velvet.Tears
Velvet.Tears
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 5578
Registration date : 2010-08-20

Back to top Go down

Post by icedancer Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:13 pm

Florences are £25 for the both. I'm slightly curious what happens the other time when she just needs Myxi. I must find out really!
icedancer
icedancer
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 4732
Registration date : 2011-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by dizzylynn Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:25 pm

Yeah felt nearly 30 was a bit steap, there dear for the dogs too but I got the value pet so its encluded in that, will phone round the local vets see if there all the same, it could be my area their all that price, but its worth looking into for next time, as long as I keep a note of it, or get a book with the batch no for my reference.
dizzylynn
dizzylynn
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Velvet.Tears Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:38 pm

Easipetcare are opening more practices now they just opened 2 new ones so watch out maybe you will get one in your area soon. Fab price ad the staff are excellent.
Velvet.Tears
Velvet.Tears
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 5578
Registration date : 2010-08-20

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:59 pm

Lynne, also ask what vaccine they are using for the VHD. If they say they use Cylap, either shop around and get it done somewhere else, or ask them to order in Anivac instead.

Cylap used to be the standard vaccine used for VHD, but because the active ingredient is administered in mineral oil, often rabbits have lumps and bumps due to the effect of the oil in their system. Sometimes the effects are much more severe and they is a syndrome where they limp due to the administration of the vaccine.

If your vet will not use another vaccine, go to another vet.

What he is charging is a lot of money and it is worth shopping around to get a cheaper price, but also to find a more bunny-savvy, because when you really need that expertise it is just so reassuring.
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Number of posts : 14530
Registration date : 2008-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down