Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What have I done?! And how do I undo it?

+4
icedancer
KatieB
TeddieBaby
Thumper2001
8 posters

Go down

What have I done?! And how do I undo it? Empty What have I done?! And how do I undo it?

Post by Thumper2001 Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:15 pm

Thumper has been picking at her pellets the last few days so I've been trying to encourage her to eat them by feeding her by hand.

Well, my little princess has decided she wants to be hand fed. All the time pale

Food has been right under her nose all night and she hasn't touched it, but she took plenty of it from my hand 10 minutes ago!!!!

I need to put a stop to this as soon as, I work full time and therefore can't be here to get her entire breakfast down her.

Should I just leave her be, in the hope that she'll eat it eventually? I'm not confident that will work as her not eating it got us here in the first place!

I know it's a long shot, but any other suggestions?
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Number of posts : 13766
Registration date : 2011-04-26

Back to top Go down

What have I done?! And how do I undo it? Empty Re: What have I done?! And how do I undo it?

Post by TeddieBaby Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:26 pm

If it were me, I would let her be. She will not starve herself, and it's just her being obstinate. She'll eat when she gets hungry.

TeddieBaby
New Hopper
New Hopper

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2011-07-03

Back to top Go down

What have I done?! And how do I undo it? Empty Re: What have I done?! And how do I undo it?

Post by Thumper2001 Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:30 pm

I don't suppose there's anything else I can do Sad

I just worry about her stopping eating altogether because she's old Crying or Very sad

Thanks.
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:20 am

Oh I dont know what to suggest hun.

See how she goes today. What a little monkey she is. x
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by icedancer Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:23 am

What happens if you gradually lower your hand to the floor and then put the food on the floor for her to eat? When I first gave Florence green food she would only eat them if I was holding them, but if I done that she did start then eating them from the ground. Now I don't have to hold them at all.

It's nice that she trusts you enough to eat from your hand, but yup they don't understand the "I have to go to work talk" do they.
icedancer
icedancer
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 4732
Registration date : 2011-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by emma.b_90 Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:42 am

I think you should be as stubborn as she is being, as much as you are scared she will starve herself. I think she's just gotten use to be pampered! Laughing cheeky devil!!

You could leave it a while and she how she gets on eating the pellets on her own. If you notice her losing weight then take her to the vet and see what they say. I had magnum at the vets yesterday and the vet told me that although feeding a good quality pellet is ok its not essential?! scratch as rabbits in the wild would souly survive on hay and greens....so dont panick if she doesnt eat her pellets for a day or to as shes probably filling up on hay!!

emma.b_90
emma.b_90
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 194
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by lizzi_b Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:43 am

icedancer wrote:What happens if you gradually lower your hand to the floor and then put the food on the floor for her to eat? When I first gave Florence green food she would only eat them if I was holding them, but if I done that she did start then eating them from the ground. Now I don't have to hold them at all.

It's nice that she trusts you enough to eat from your hand, but yup they don't understand the "I have to go to work talk" do they.

^ This sounds like a good plan!! Thumbs Up
lizzi_b
lizzi_b
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1667
Registration date : 2011-07-08

Back to top Go down

Post by lizzi_b Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:44 am

emma.b_90 wrote:I think you should be as stubborn as she is being, as much as you are scared she will starve herself. I think she's just gotten use to be pampered! Laughing cheeky devil!!

You could leave it a while and she how she gets on eating the pellets on her own. If you notice her losing weight then take her to the vet and see what they say. I had magnum at the vets yesterday and the vet told me that although feeding a good quality pellet is ok its not essential?! scratch as rabbits in the wild would souly survive on hay and greens....so dont panick if she doesnt eat her pellets for a day or to as shes probably filling up on hay!!

Emma, Thumper is more stubborn than you realise, she doesn't like hay either!! Laughing
lizzi_b
lizzi_b
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1667
Registration date : 2011-07-08

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:48 am

emma.b_90 wrote:I think you should be as stubborn as she is being, as much as you are scared she will starve herself. I think she's just gotten use to be pampered! Laughing cheeky devil!!

You maybe don't know that Thumper is the elderly lady of the forum. She is nearly 11 and gives her bunny slave the run around. She sometimes doesn't eat easily and although with a much younger rabbit, I would agree that this is a bit of a power thing, with Thumper it is probably to do with getting very old. Old people's appetites diminish with age and I am sure that bunnies are the same.

I like the idea of lowering the hand as it is a nice middle way of dealing with this. Hope you can find a solution as no doubt she is thinking about her next little foible. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Number of posts : 14530
Registration date : 2008-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Thumper2001 Sun Nov 06, 2011 3:49 pm

Thanks guys, I will give Icedancer's suggestion a go, sounds like a good plan Thumbs Up

In an attempt to get her to eat, I just made her a 'pie'. Boiled pellets, grated carrot and shredded mange tout. She gobbled it down. From the bowl Happy Dance I think she just can't be ar$ed eating the pellets No

I'm away to attemp to put a video (my first) of it in photoshoots Very Happy

Indeed she is a little menace, the next foible has already been committed! No Let's just say, lots of wee and a bunny bath were both part of my morning Laughing

She's a mare, but I wouldn't be without her Love
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Sun Nov 06, 2011 4:00 pm

Maybe chewing is just too much for an old lady. You could try soaking her pellets, although your 'pie' sounds really good - for a rabbit.
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Number of posts : 14530
Registration date : 2008-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Sun Nov 06, 2011 4:18 pm

Pie sounds yummo! (if I were a bun!)

It does sound like she wants to eat but it is just such an effort for her bless her.

She really is a wonderful old lady. Please give her a special cuddle from me x
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Vince the bunny Sun Nov 06, 2011 7:47 pm

Hmm, might have to try your pie on the kids when they won't eat their dinners Laughing
Vince the bunny
Vince the bunny
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2290
Registration date : 2010-08-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Thumper2001 Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:05 pm

You totally should! ROFL

She loves it. She's actually eating a carrot one right now Laughing

I'm thinking about sneaking some hay in the next one, her being a non hay eating bun and all Embarassed Laughing
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum