Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

the symbolism of rabbits and Hares

2 posters

Go down

the symbolism of rabbits and Hares Empty the symbolism of rabbits and Hares

Post by Jay Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:22 am

found this whilst looking for info on images etc. It's quite fascinating - http://www.endicott-studio.com/rdrm/rrRabbits.html
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11365
Registration date : 2008-07-02

http://www.hoppingmad.org

Back to top Go down

the symbolism of rabbits and Hares Empty Re: the symbolism of rabbits and Hares

Post by Tuckerbunnies Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:49 pm

I found this very interesting as I love and study Hares, I have a wonderful book called 'The Leaping Hare' by George Ewart Evans & David Thomson, and it's about every aspect of the life and legend of the wild hare-in nature, poetry, folklore, history and art and is very interesting.

I have the 3 hare plaques on my wall and in the porch.

This is them

the symbolism of rabbits and Hares LucyRose010

the symbolism of rabbits and Hares LucyRose011

And this one

the symbolism of rabbits and Hares LucyRose012

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 15875

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:02 pm

I have that book as well Maysie. I bought it after it was recommended by terry Pratchett in one of his books. He had read it researching hares for his book 'I shall wear midnight'. He said of Evans book that he read things that he would not have dared to make up. For Terry Pratchett it was the information about Hares and fire that was inportant. It is said in the country that Hares do not fear fire. They are the last animals to leave a heathland fire and they can be seen jumping through and over the flames rather than running away from them. They really are extraordinary creatures and it is no wonder that they are the subjects of so many myths.

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:12 pm

cheryl'n'bruce'flo wrote:I have that book as well Maysie. I bought it after it was recommended by terry Pratchett in one of his books. He had read it researching hares for his book 'I shall wear midnight'. He said of Evans book that he read things that he would not have dared to make up. For Terry Pratchett it was the information about Hares and fire that was inportant. It is said in the country that Hares do not fear fire. They are the last animals to leave a heathland fire and they can be seen jumping through and over the flames rather than running away from them. They really are extraordinary creatures and it is no wonder that they are the subjects of so many myths.

Have you really ! it's a fantastic little book isn't it Thumbs Up

That's true Hares are not suppose to fear fire, I find them very Magical and Mythical and very very beautiful to look at although there are some people that think they are ugly. I fear in years to come that unless protected they will be become extinct and that would be so sad Sad

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 15875

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:23 pm

An ex-collegue of mine hand reared a levert - something that is supposed to be ridiculously hard to do. Her daughter brought it home thinking it had been abandoned, her mum was not happy but it had been done so they looked into how to rear it. At the time wildlife charities had no knowledge of how to do it so it was very much trial and error. They raised it to adulthoodand I think they released it back into the wild. They lived in a semi rural location so they just allowed it to escape in the garden giving it opportunity to return back to them if it wanted. She has always talked of the time with the hare as being very special.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down