Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Vibes for Bruce & a related question. U/D back from vets

+4
Sparky
Thumper2001
Velvet.Tears
NickieM
8 posters

Go down

Vibes for Bruce & a related question. U/D back from vets Empty Vibes for Bruce & a related question. U/D back from vets

Post by Guest Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:14 pm

Bruce is in for his dental and xrays to check his teeth roots and to look for signs of any arthritis/sponylitis tomorrow so any spare vibes for him coming through the GA would be greatly appreciated.

Also a question for those who have nursed oldies before or those with impressive libraries of bunny books. My vet and I have been discussing putting Bruce on Glucosamine however I can't find a clear dosage guide anywhere. On medirabbit it says give as for cats so having looked up a dog and cat liquid I have worked out that the dosage would be 120mg glucosamine per 1kg of bun. Does this sound right? The vet suggested giving him vetpet glucosamine food but it is much lower in fibre than he is used to and also on my calculations Bruce would need to eat about 180g per day of the food to get the right abount of glucosamine - which is just bonkers. So my question is whether anyone has experience of using glucosamine with buns, what form to give and how much. I want to be able to have an informed conversation with the vet.

Last edited by cheryl'n'bruce'flo on Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:24 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Vibes for Bruce & a related question. U/D back from vets Empty Re: Vibes for Bruce & a related question. U/D back from vets

Post by NickieM Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:19 pm

Sending loads of vibes for Bruce and you cos I know you will be really anxious.
((((((((((((Vibes))))))))))))))))))))))))
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Number of posts : 14530
Registration date : 2008-08-13

Back to top Go down

Vibes for Bruce & a related question. U/D back from vets Empty Re: Vibes for Bruce & a related question. U/D back from vets

Post by Velvet.Tears Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:51 pm

May I ask what the use of glucosamine is please just curious thats all
Velvet.Tears
Velvet.Tears
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 5578
Registration date : 2010-08-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Thumper2001 Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:07 pm

I hope it goes well.

Sorry, despite having an old lady, I can't help you here Sad
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Number of posts : 13766
Registration date : 2011-04-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:08 pm

As I said the vet is checking for signs of arthritis or spondylitis because Bruce has slowed down quite quickly in the last 12 months. I have noticed he often dithers now about getting down onto the chair from the table when he used to just fling himself onto the floor from the table ( i know probably causes and all but I have never been able to stop them going up there so all I have been able to do is soften the landings). Also sometimes he looks as if he is turning out one of his back legs slightly when he hops. Glucosamine and chondroitin often come together in supplement for and they can help to slow the degradation of the joints and anecdotally people say it can make a huge difference to mobility in older buns, even those who are quite severely affected. Bruce has literally just slowed down and seeing he is having adental done it seemed like a good idea to take a look to see whether he has any recognisable problem. But glucosamine might be useful in keeping him moving longer term.

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:14 pm

Is that stuff any good for an old lady whose knees make the most awful noise when she walks down the stairs? Laughing
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Number of posts : 14530
Registration date : 2008-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparky Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:30 pm

I can't help with the Glucosamine, sorry - possibly a question for the RWAF vet chappy?

I can send lots of vibes though Hugs
Sparky
Sparky
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 8037
Registration date : 2011-08-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:33 pm

NickieM wrote:Is that stuff any good for an old lady whose knees make the most awful noise when she walks down the stairs? Laughing

No joke Nickie it can. Check out your local health food shop.

Back to top Go down

Post by lizzi_b Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:48 pm

sending vibes for you and Bruce! i hope he comes through the GA problem free and that the find nothing serious with the x-ray!! Hugs
lizzi_b
lizzi_b
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1667
Registration date : 2011-07-08

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:34 pm

Sending Vibes to you both - hope Bruce gets the all clear.

Im sorry - I just dont know about the glucosamine. Perhaps Jay will know when he pops by. His Bertie bun was very arthritic bless him so he may know?

KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by fiver Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:04 pm

lots of vibes hope all is well Hugs Hugs Hugs

fiver
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 10155
Registration date : 2011-10-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:23 pm

He is home. He isn't even groggy as the vets have charoots and look lnged their anaesthetic which has a faster recovery time. Teeth done. The xrays show his top roots are long but not long enough at the moment to worry about. His lower inscisors also have long roots and look as if the are impacted on his molars so an eye will need to be kept to ensure that doesn't cause problems. But no signs of arthritis or spondylitis at the moment thank goodness. So he must just be naturally slowing. I might try some of the glucosamine food to see if he likes it but will not be panicing if he doesn't/

Back to top Go down

Post by icedancer Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:32 pm

cheers Glad he is ok.

icedancer
icedancer
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 4732
Registration date : 2011-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparky Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:02 pm

Good news Smile

How old is he?
Sparky
Sparky
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 8037
Registration date : 2011-08-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:25 pm

He is 7, so not ancient but as far as I can tell from the internet info Lionheads are still a new enough as a breed to not have a settled average life expectancy.

Back to top Go down

Post by lizzi_b Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:18 pm

well I'm sure there is plenty of life left in him yet!! glad all seems well atm! Very Happy
lizzi_b
lizzi_b
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1667
Registration date : 2011-07-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum