Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Am i over/under feeding??

2 posters

Go down

Am i over/under feeding?? Empty Am i over/under feeding??

Post by emma.b_90 Sat Dec 17, 2011 11:30 pm

Ok i'm still new to the bunny owning thingy and still unsure of what im doing especially when to comes to food amounts....He has a small handful of pellets in the morning, in the day he has 2 alfafa hay bales and unlimited hay. And on a night time he get a bowl of rocket, with parsley and basil. He has 3-4 leafs of basil and 3-4 parsley...can he have more or is this enough with his rocket?

He always seems hungry and i know rabbits are greedy creatures but is he just being greedy or am i starving him! Shocked scratch
emma.b_90
emma.b_90
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 194
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Am i over/under feeding?? Empty Re: Am i over/under feeding??

Post by NickieM Sat Dec 17, 2011 11:37 pm

Rabbits are always starving. As long as he has unlimited hay, he will not go hungry. Things like pellets and greens are probably more interesting and tasty than hay, so he will go mad for them, much as we do over nice things like chocolate etc.

From what you have posted, it sounds about right. Alfalfa is fine just now while he is growing but once he is fully grown, I would ease off the alfalfa because it isn't good to feed it regularly to adult buns because it is high in protein and calcium.
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Number of posts : 14530
Registration date : 2008-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:13 am

It is much harder to gague whilst they are growing because you don't see them put on weight in the same way. I think you can afford to begin to introduce more veg. Not loads but perhaps just offer a little bit if whatever safe veg you are preparing for yourself. One different one a day. Get him used to variety. Personally I would say the same for pellets once he is fully grown. Start to give him a mix of different brands so he does not become too fussy. I am pretty sure if I became ill at the same time as running low on pellets my pair would eat whatever someone bought for them without stomach upset because they are used to trying different things. This was really useful last year in the snow when we were running low on supplies and I could not get out to get their normal offerings. They eat normal excel from the local pet shop no problems.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum