Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Vibes and advice please- Josephine seems sick

+12
Thumper2001
icedancer
Dotdot
lizzi_b
Jay
gentl
Tuckerbunnies
Sparky
KatieB
FarplaceRescue
NickieM
NSD
16 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Vibes and advice please- Josephine seems sick - Page 2 Empty Re: Vibes and advice please- Josephine seems sick

Post by Dotdot Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:37 pm

I'm sure Bruce is secretly glad to have the bum nipping back, I bet he misses her normal self!

Of course it's hard not to worry, I worry about everything, the smallest thing and I'm there. It's even worse when it's your little one.

I hope your mum will come round, it is hard to get some things across to people luckily my family are used to my ways and just go along with it.
Dotdot
Dotdot
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 3515
Registration date : 2011-02-16

Back to top Go down

Vibes and advice please- Josephine seems sick - Page 2 Empty Re: Vibes and advice please- Josephine seems sick

Post by NSD Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:33 am

Bad / concerning news: the slightly not experienced vet that's meant to do her surgery tomorrow called me today and said she wasn't really confident doing it and maybe I should wait three weeks for the proper vet!!! - to 9 Jan.

I've called the other rabbit clinic (the one that is 3 hours drive away) and they are closed over christmas and don't open until 3 Jan.

After a lot of humming and haaing I have decided to book her in with the other rabbit clinic on 3 Jan.

But I'm really not happy about having to worry about my baby for so long and monitor her daily for her food intake.

I'm going to completely freak out if she stops eating all together over the christmas period when everything is shut down!!!
NSD
NSD
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2212
Registration date : 2010-02-27

Back to top Go down

Post by gentl Wed Dec 21, 2011 6:05 am

Many, many positive, healing vibes for Josephine. May she be back to her old self very soon!
gentl
gentl
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 6686
Registration date : 2011-10-18

Back to top Go down

Post by icedancer Wed Dec 21, 2011 6:11 am

Oh no that's bad. Grrr at the vet.

I really hope she is ok until then

Hugs
icedancer
icedancer
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 4732
Registration date : 2011-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparky Wed Dec 21, 2011 6:14 pm

Oh boo. It's good in a way that she's admitted not being confident doing it. It'll prolong your worries though Hmmm

Do you have enough Metacam to see her through to 3 Jan? I wonder if that's what has made the improvement....
Sparky
Sparky
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 8037
Registration date : 2011-08-07

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:24 pm

Can the two vets give you an alternative plan of action? They should ensure that you have enough medication to keep her gut moving and painkiller to keep her comfortable. If possible, get the vet to check her over and make sure she doesn't have a blockage, then if it is her teeth (which it sounds like), you can keep her gut going and make sure she isn't in pain. Hopefully, by keeping an eye on her and making sure she has easy to eat food and that Bruce doesn't pinch her food if she is slower eating, you can keep her going until you can see a vet. when my buns were having problems with their teeth, I would soak their pellets to make them easier to eat.

I'm glad that the vet was honest enough to not take on something that she wasn't sure about.

I hope it all works out for her. Fingers crossed. Keep us updated. xxx
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Number of posts : 14530
Registration date : 2008-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by NSD Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:38 pm

ANOTHER turn of events - I said to the vet who "wasn't confident" that I would bring her in this morning (mainly to get myself a set of drugs so I can look after her over the christmas period). She looked at J's teeth and said that one side was pushing into her cheek and looked quite inflamed and sore, and the other side was pushing onto her toungue. The vet didn't think Josephine could make it throughout the christmas period and has strongly recommended that we do the surgery today.

I interrogated her for a bit (and admittedly did a bit of emotional blackmail, talking about how I'm graduating today and she doesn't want me devastated and crying because my baby's dead, does she?) and she seemed more confident now, so Josephine's at the vet now.

I'm due to pick her up at 2 (in about 3.5 hours). Hopefully things work out. It is a routine surgery after all. And I will have regular metacam and also critical care which I can spoon feed her because I have to leave for my graduation at 3.30pm.

Sigh. This is possibly the worst circumstances for a dental. I am going to have a stern word to her when she gets home about getting sick over the christmas period!!

Vibes for a successful surgery and a safe recovery from the anasthetic would be really appreciated guys Hugs
NSD
NSD
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Dotdot Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:51 pm

Vibes for gorgeous Josephine and hugs for you. I'm sure she's proud of her mummy graduating as well (well done Thumbs Up )

Hopefully the vet will do you proud and J will have a quick recovery Hugs
Dotdot
Dotdot
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by NSD Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:13 am

Thanks Dot Smile Josephine doesn't recover easily from anasthetics, but provided she eats I'll be happy Smile
NSD
NSD
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by lizzi_b Thu Dec 22, 2011 7:14 am

Oh that's prob not ideal, but at least then you know that's one less thing over Christmas! Plus you can have plenty of drugs you need for her during the holiday to keep her going! I hope she recovers well from the anaesthetic!! Sending vibes! Hugs

P.s enjoy your graduation and well done! Very Happy
lizzi_b
lizzi_b
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1667
Registration date : 2011-07-08

Back to top Go down

Post by icedancer Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:55 am

Huge vibes for Josephine. I hope she gets through easily

Fingers crossed she's back to normal soon so you can both enjoy Christmas

Hugs
icedancer
icedancer
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 4732
Registration date : 2011-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:07 am

How did it go. I was trying to work out the time difference but fried my brain.

So hoping she is OK as then you will both have a peaceful Christmas and you'll know she is not in pain.

What a caring vet, who even though she isn't confident, knows that the operation is necessary. I bet she does a really good job and crosses all the boxes because of this. Hugs Hugs Hugs

Hope you can enjoy your graduation and we still need photos.
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by NSD Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:11 am

She's out, she's alive Smile

I got her home a little while ago (apoloies for not updating, I had to go to my grad!) and she hadn't eaten and wasn't eating at all. The vet told me that I shouldn't give her any more metacam until 8pm (as I had given her metacam the previous night at 8pm) and that I definitely shouldn't give her any more metacam before I left for my grad.

But she wasn't eating at all, and I thought that it might be because the last metacam she had was last night and they hadn't given her any additional metacam after the surgery (although gave her that drug that stimulates the gut).

So I gave her some critical care and then gave her some more metacam just before I left. When I came back from my grad just 30 mins ago and offered her some pellets, she ate them!

cheers

She's still quite unhappy but it looks like we're out of the woods right now. Thanks so much for your support Hoppers, I really appreciate being able to talk to people and have a bit of a freak out without explaining the risks of a rabbit under GA.

Nickie - I'm having a look and will post pics of my grad soon!
NSD
NSD
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:16 am

I am delighted to hear that she is eating and that the operation went smoothly. I bet the vet went home and had a hard drink after that. She probably thought that is anything happened to Jo you would be back with a shotgun - not that I wish to imply you are anything other than totally mentally stable! Laughing

She will be so much happier and poor Bruce will now find that his extra breakfast portion is sadly diminished. Laughing

NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dotdot Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:41 am

I'm so happy she's doing well! And congrats again on graduation would love to see some pics.
Keep up the good work Josephine, very proud Smile

I'd say this forum is a godsend. Even just to vent without having to explain why things are such a problem is great because people will always understand.
Dotdot
Dotdot
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:09 pm

My Bruce had a dental a couple of weeks ago. He is a regular dental bun and so I took him early so he couldn't pull the sick at Christmas stunt! Laughing It generally takes him about 24hours to get entirely back to normal. When the teeth start irritating the tongue and cheek it can take a bit longer for the bun to feel able to eat properly again. If he is slggish with the eating I would top him up with Critical care for a couple of days. I always find Bruce reacts very well to the threat of being force fed if he doesn't eat on his own. I have never had do force feed for more than a day!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparky Thu Dec 22, 2011 5:02 pm

I'm glad she is home and eating. Hopefully that means you can have a relaxing Christmas!

Congrats on the graduation Thumbs Up
Sparky
Sparky
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 8037
Registration date : 2011-08-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies Thu Dec 22, 2011 5:10 pm

gentl wrote:
NickieM wrote:I looked up about pineapple juice but the site I went to said it was a myth and that any active ingredient in pineapple - an enzyme - would be killed in the rabbit's stomach which is very acidic.

This is good to know. Thanx. Guess we'll find a new vet.

It works on our buns and has done for 10 years, we wouldn't be without it Smile

Glad Josephine is improving, sending mega 'healing' vibes for her xxxxxxxxxx

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 15875

Back to top Go down

Post by Thumper2001 Thu Dec 22, 2011 7:59 pm

I'm so glad to hear it all went well Smile

Congrats on your graduation Thumbs Up
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Number of posts : 13766
Registration date : 2011-04-26

Back to top Go down

Post by gentl Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:21 am

Jubilation! Josephine is doing so well. It is SO scary when our little ones are anesthesia. albino

ALSO, congrats on your graduati1\ Thumbs Up on
gentl
gentl
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 6686
Registration date : 2011-10-18

Back to top Go down

Post by NSD Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:57 am

Thanks guys. Josephine went back to the vets today. As they are closing over christmas (curse them!) and she still isn't eating well they have given me some cira-type drug to give her twice daily for three days to stimulate her gut and extra supplies of metacam in case I run out. I am finding that she is eating treats out of my hand, but still not comfortable with hay. Which is bad, because she's with Bruce and if I leave treats out he eats them all himself leaving her with nothing, as she's not comfortable eating hay.

Overnight I am just leaving them with hay (she's got to eat it again sometime) and during the day I'm visiting her every hour or so and giving her some pellets that she's eating.

Thanks again for your support. I'm glad to get my baby back to help!
NSD
NSD
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Fri Dec 23, 2011 1:10 pm

Glad it went okay hunni.

It could be that her little mouth is still sore. Daisy is always a little uncofortable after a dental. He also goes on a mini hunger strike for a few days too, and it makes me wonder if their little tums feel unsettled afterwards too.

She maybe just needs a couple of days. Sending you both hugs x x
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Ruffin Sat Dec 24, 2011 9:20 am

[b]Loads of vibes Josephine Smile
Ruffin
Ruffin
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1122
Registration date : 2010-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by NSD Sat Dec 24, 2011 8:48 pm

Thanks guys.

Katie - I suspect Josephine speak the same thing. She's still refusing to eat hay, but it usually takes her up to a week to get back to normal after a dental. Silly bunnies, they're so fragile and precious.
NSD
NSD
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by JoeyBunsMum Sat Dec 24, 2011 8:52 pm

Hope she is feeling better soon and sending lots of vibes Hugs

JoeyBunsMum
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2784
Registration date : 2011-04-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next